RatBug's 2020 Brotherhood Build - My 1994 Dream.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by RatBug, Mar 6, 2020.

1. RatBug

RatBug Tele-Meister

This is my documentary thread for The 2020 Brotherhood Build Challenge

In 1994 I started buying all the parts to build a guitar. At the time I was playing a 1975 Telecaster and a brand new Duosonic.

I bought a Telecaster body and neck but before I got around to building it my garage (and our practice space) was broken in to. We lost a couple amps, my telecaster, my neck and my body. I never tried again.
    So I am going to build the guitar I wanted in 1994 with a couple small changes.

What I wanted was a Telecaster with both of the Strat belly and arm cuts, two p90s, Rosewood Fretboard, Cherry stained body, black hardware, no pickguard or control plate.

What I am actually going to build;
    Telecaster
    Both "Comfort Cuts"
    Lightweight Swamp Ash (I paid premium $ for this, uhg)
    Translucent Black Cherry finish (Dark Cherry stain with Black Grain Filler)
    Two Firebird Pickups (I bought Stewmac kits to build them myself)
    Ebony Fretboard
    No Pickguard
    No Control plate, Pots and switch will mount from the back
    Hardtail Bridge
    Smoke Chrome hardware (With the black cherry finish and ebony fretboard, black hardware seems like too much)

I got the Smoke Chrome hardware from Stratosphere so I assume it was pulled from a FMT Tele or something like that.

I was unsure what to expect from pulled hardware but it is beauiful other than a little staining on the Tuners that can't be seen when installed. Also, I just ordered the bridge, knobs and tuners, he threw in the Jack Plate for free. I wasn't planing to use a jackplate, but I'm warming up to it.

Here is what I have so far, ignore the black tuners, they are for something else.

Body Blank
    Firebird Pickup kits (I actually am building three of them, one for my next project)
    Pots
    Neck Blanks (These a birdseye maple seconds from guitarwood experts. Nothing spectacular, but on;u $14 each)
    Smoke Chrome Hardware

[​IMG]

hardware1.jpg

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  2. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Sounds great RatBug! I'll be watching, good luck!

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. E-miel

E-miel Tele-Meister

Good luck with your build RatBug!

crazydave911 likes this.
  4. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

I love me some black chrome! Look forward to this.

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Since 1994!?!
    Wow talk about a long term build!

That Smoke hardware is to die for.
    Makes me hungry for some thing off the grill/smoker.

Happy building!

Macrogats, RatBug and crazydave911 like this.
  6. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Good luck to ya mate!!! :D

7. RatBug

RatBug Tele-Meister

OK, I took my grandson on a scouting overnighter so I was short time this weekend but even when I did start I realized that I was missing something... My router table.

I had a Makita table saw for 25 years with a Rousseau stand like this one, and in the empty side of the stand I had drilled a hole to attach a router base. I installed wood on that side of the fence and it was an awesome router table.

[​IMG]

The problem is that I finally a few months ago bought a new table saw and gave that one to my stepson.

So today, I had to build a new one. Just a simple one for now.

So I picked up some melamine 16" shelving and cut it 24" long.

Then I measured in 1" all around the outside and using melamine glue and brads I attached some 3/4" strips.

rout1.jpg

Then I figured out where I was going to install the router base, and I created a box around that.

rout2.jpg

Finally I installed some scrap wafer board I had lying around on the bottom of all that. This wood sandwich creates something strong and straight which has a name I forgot. (A Torsion Box - I finally remembered)

rout3.jpg

Tomorrow after work I get the legs on it and it will be ready to use for now. I'll but a fence on it later.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  8. crazydave911

Sweet! :D

9. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Adapt and overcome!

I'm always amazed at how much stuff I have to build to just make my guitar parts.

crazydave911 and DrASATele like this.
  10. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Sweet looking good... I'll second that 2B2!

2blue2 likes this.
  11. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Very interesting. I have an old table saw that I’ve been tickling around ideas for a router table. This is inspiring!

Love that smoke chrome btw.

crazydave911 likes this.
  12. RatBug

RatBug Tele-Meister

Monday after work I was able to get a little more done on the Router Table, but I decided a thread in The DIY Tool Forum was more appropriate.

2blue2 and Jim_in_PA like this.
  13. RatBug

RatBug Tele-Meister

OK, I'm able to make some more time for this but I am having some confusion with printing neck template.

I have tried prining both from the DWG file and a PDF file to the Plotter where I work and every time it comes out that when I measure the 12.75" measurement from fretboard side of the nut to the 12th fret center I'm just a little short, like a 16th" or so.

Any ideas why that might be happening

crazydave911 likes this.
  14. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Hey there RB. I don’t know much about printing off the net, but I was measuring and comparing some necks I have laying around today, and the variances were astounding!

Talking in millimeters, I found 325, 324 and 323.5....!!

What I generally do is just work the scale length from there and leave a little adjustment room for the saddles to go forward a little - though generally they all want to move back.

crazydave911, RatBug and 2blue2 like this.
  15. crazydave911

No clue on the DWG and only an idea on the PDF.When I printed the Hawley PDF all I needed was the neck heel and headstock as I build with many scale lengths.Also I only a basic printer and had to set the PDF for tiling and only printed the first and last tile of course on A4.It was perfect and worked well.My only guess is at least the PDF was designed for us saps without access to good printers and may only be dimensionally correct in that format.The DWG is anybody's guess

RatBug likes this.
  16. RatBug

RatBug Tele-Meister

Hawley PDF?

I'm trying the several neck PDFs from that German site that gets posted here often.

17. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

The problem could well be paper expansion/contraction. On a number of occasions I have tried getting drawings printed and even though the drawing is correct the results are not. I have even had it happen with mylar drawings as well, and I was told that in that case it can be a result of the mylar "slipping" in the printing process. I regularly find that drawings can be up to 5mm out over the length of an A0 sheet (just under 1200mm) and, at least at the commercial places I have tried, they will not guarantee the accuracy of any drawings to better than .05% (5 in 1000mm).

It never USED to be that bad.

If you can I suggest setting up the DWG file on the computer so that the scale length is reduced and increased by 1mm each time, then print that out as a sheet and choose the one that gives the most accurate scale.

18. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

Dag nabbit, now I can't recall which dimension I used to check my neck drawing. It may have been a relatively small one so any error was too small to notice. Then again, I checked it after I applied it to the blank too, so I should be ok. I'll check it when I get downstairs.

Which will be soon

Cuz y'all have me paranoid now...

19. crazydave911

20. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

This is going to be good.
    I like the concept you're going for.
    I also like the smoke chrome hardware, never knew what it was called though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.