Rat + Tweed

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by MilwMark, Sep 16, 2014.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Awesome recipe.* I had never really tried it before. Because the tweed breaks up so early. But it just works. Tames the ragged lows just right.

Wow.

That is all.

*using the magic low gain settings of course.

2. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

grr, wants a tweed :p even have a rat thing to give a try with it :D
    chris.

3. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I feel the need...the need for tweed !

4. FilthyFur74

FilthyFur74 Tele-Holic

Swart and VFE Alpha Dog. Does that count!?

5. thinkdifferent

thinkdifferent Tele-Meister

Works very nicely, thanks for the tip!

6. Mightyaxeman

Mightyaxeman Tele-Afflicted

Agreed! I used my Les Paul+Rat into a 5e3 all week. Awesome tones all around.

7. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

That's interesting. I've used tweaked DS-1's with my Deluxe but never a Rat. I guess I'll have to get one so I can comment on all these Rat threads:)

8. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

Agreed. I have an 80's RAT and a BMRI LTD and it's a killer combo!

9. MilwMark

I was suprised. The Rat is not hurting for mids, and of course a Deluxe isn't either; and a Rat isn't hurting for "edge", nor is a Deluxe. But they pair really well to my ear. Rather than the mids and edge being additive and getting out of control, they just meld really seamlessly.

The caveat is, I'm not someone who is looking for a lot of lows (or bottom or whatever you want to call it) in my tone. I never mind when a pedal tightens them up (even just for noodling at home, but especially live).

And yes, re: getting one; but you could have stopped your sentence at "I guess I'll have to get one." ;)

10. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Try a Metal Zone, a Telecaster and a Tweed.

It sounds just like Keef using Micawber through a Metal Zone and a Tweed. Terrible. :lol:

11. MilwMark

I'm not ashamed to admit the end of my dirt pedal GAS occasionally conflicts with my love of Boss ODs and makes me want to try both the Metal Zone and the Heavy Metal to see how they do for LOW GAIN. But not enough to order one on the interwebs. If my local gets one in sometime I'll plug it in and I bet that will end the curiosity.

12. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

I'm guessing just about any decent overdrive pedal (including distortion pedals like the RAT and DS-1 with gain set low) is going to sound good in front of a tweed amp. No real magic here.

That said, if you have a Tele and a Tweedie, no real need to put a pedal in the middle.

13. MilwMark

Agreed. Though (and maybe it's just my ear) I don't mind tightening up the bass a bit and the Rat does seem to make the volume and tone pot taper a bit more linear (meaning smooth, spread out and predictable). But as you note, almost any good OD will work. The differences will be subtle in many cases (maybe not between a DS-1 and Rat - I hear their EQ as so different).

14. artdecade

Not even a Metal Zone? :lol:

15. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I'm going thru all the pedals in my collection that mainly collect dust, and I have a MT-2 that was a sentimental acquisition, so I'll never part with it.

That said, there is a whole mess of circuitry that IMO can really potentially choke the signal that passes thru it.

I have the Joyo version of the Marshall Shredmaster, and just got around to tweaking that to my pleasing, and it's another instance of "heavy on the circuitry" that makes it hard IMO to expect good results at lower gain settings.

I bring up the SM clone because I obviously A/B'ed it with my Rat, and it was simply NO contest, IMO. I realize they are different horses for different courses, but still - both are driven hard enough that clipping at the op amp plays a role. In the case of the Joyo clone, it's got 1458's instead of the original TL072's, which are basically dual LM741's - SUPER low tech (741 was basically the first stable op amp offered).

But back to the Rat and tweed thing - I use my Biyang Mouse thru a VHT Special Six quite a bit, and that's basically a BF & tweed Champ in one box.

...The big trick IMO with a lot of the REALLY old school amps IMO is the issue of speakers. A lot of them can be really bright and zingy, especially if you're talking about something with a light duty cone and a TINY voice coil.

And while it will typically help in a lot of situations with using pedals, I think the lack of negative feedback with the tweed stuff can actually work out well in lower powered situations. Something like a DR or PR can sound a little rigid and buzzy if you can't open it up a bit...

16. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

Not even a tweed amp simulator pedal.

17. artdecade

But then the Tweed amp won't sound right... :rolleyes:

18. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

How about a tweed reverb unit into a tweed Princeton, with a "slave out" from the power tube (of the Princeton), into a tweed Twin? :lol:

Better yet, get the tweed Twin modified for an effects loop, and tuck a tweed Bassman emulator pedal in there. :p

That may not be enough, though. Better put a Spark Booster in front of the whole lot. Then put some kind of Echoplex Pre in front of that. Then put a Rangemaster in front of that.

...Oh - and you better put some kind of dedicated buffer in front of all of those things.

How could I forget - I left out the compressor...where would we want to add in the compressor? :rolleyes:

If the above seems absolutely ridiculous (and it should ;)), it's really not that far off from combining all of the modular blocks to end up with something like you might have with a modern amp like a Mesa or something similar. There can be an endless debate about whether or not everything should be tubes, or where certain boosts or effects should be inserted, but the more important thing is that all rigs are like different roads - all have a point where you enter and exit - it's just what's in between that can be very different...

So...silly to perhaps some kind of point with possible validity. That may be a first (and a last) for me...

19. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

You're funny.

artdecade and I prefer this...

index.jpg

...in front of our Bassmans.

20. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I've read a lot of stuff saying it's bad form or something to hit a tweed with strong mids but what I'm hearing is more compression in the amp's midrange, not a more mid-humped tone. It's a whole different thing than using something like a TS into a cleaner BF Fender. I imagine you're getting some of that compressed goodness with your OD 250 as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.