RAT Lovers Front and Center

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Platefire, Feb 27, 2016.

1. AxeVictimAZ

AxeVictimAZ Tele-Holic

Rat abuser since '81.
    Tried not to do it, but here it is again.
    Sorry. Enough is enough.
    I like my Rats.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  2. k.a.s.

k.a.s. TDPRI Member

Using my late American made Rat 2 for about 13 years now, it quickly become my main distortion pedal, love it, sounds great with any amp either in studio or live.

Attached Files:

3. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

People still use Rat pedals?! :lol:

4. gdshrub

gdshrub TDPRI Member

They're great, I bought one a few months ago. It's a versatile pedal, works well as my only drive/distortion/fuzz.

5. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

I've been using a Turbo Rat for years - love it!
    When I went looking for another OD/Distortion pedal to give me a similar flavor with a bit less gain I thought, maybe another Rat.
    I picked up a "standard" Rat pedal and added it to my board.

Hey, you find what you like and stick with it, right?
    And there's enough flexibility on each of those pedals that it doesn't feel at all redundant.

6. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

The standard Rat and Turbo Rat are pretty different because the standard has silicon clipping diodes and the Turbo uses LEDs, but I'd be happy to have two of the same Rat on my board at different gain settings.

7. barker

barker Tele-Meister

I have a Mooer Black Secret (RAT clone w/ additional turbo mode) and it's a great pedal. RATS are aggressive and wild but if dialed in can provide a myriad of tones. You'll forget about the DS-1. I was a tube screamer fan for years and still love it but the RAT just makes you go to 11 and it has more note clarity. There's a reason they're so popular around here. Enjoy!

8. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

How I got my RAT is I do work on amps and this guy that deals in vintage pedals for a living brought his 1974 twin to me dead. I had been looking at RATs on e-bay and I think bid on a few and lost. I ask him before I did the work, did he have any RATS and he said he did. So I worked on the twin and it was bad filter caps--replaced them. When it came time to pay up for the amp, he sent me a picture of the 90's RAT. So we did the deal and I got my late 90's USA RAT for a filter cap job. I've been wondering now if he has a Klon?? Platefire

9. Monotremata

Monotremata Tele-Afflicted

I lucked out when I scored mine.. Used to go hang out and party with a friend with some of his friends about 20 something years ago, total shady druggy household.. Dude had a small box I later dated as an 86.. I knew it was the pedal used by Obituary to get their sludgy death metal sound so I asked him if I could borrow it.. Took it home and loved it.. Figured in a couple of weeks I would have to take it back. Eventually the guy disappeared into meth-head land for awhile and I never heard from him again.. Saw him years later when him and a former roommate of mine started jamming, and he I guess had erased that whole period of his life out of his mind and wasn't even aware that I was the guy he lent the pedal too, or that even had it at some point. Only saw him briefly once or twice, but he never asked for it back, never even brought it up once, I assumed it was meant to be mine.. Still got that thing to this day and will NEVER part with it.. Its in my bass rig because I sold my backup HM-2 that used to be there, but if my guitar rigs HM-2 ever died, I could easily put the Rat in its place and still keep going almost exactly how I sound now.

10. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I did the TS-9> Rat> Rat for years through most of the 90's and loved it. There are so many choices and voices these days... But, staging Rats works great!

11. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

I used to push my '88 RAT with a SD-1. Now I push it with another Rat...into a Brat lol. RAT OR DIE!

12. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

That is odd.
    :eek:

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

More stacking...

[​IMG]

14. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I have a RAT on the way and am looking forward to stacking it with a TS(VS Rt. 66). I'm curious how your fine fellows are approaching this with gain and level settings?

15. RetroTeleRod

16. giginthesky

giginthesky Friend of Leo's

i traded my rat II and use a peavey hotfoot on 1 board and an ibanez fat cat on the other. the rat II doesn't sound like the rat i remember from the 80's. probably just me but i prefer these copies.

Attached Files:

17. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

thanks man! I'll try that...very excited to get this darn pedal!

18. RetroTeleRod

Nothing like a N.P.D.
    :cool::cool:

19. ranjam

ranjam Tele-Holic

The Hotfoot is a Rat. Depending on your exact Rat (I can't kep up with the differences), the Rat 2 should be the same, but they did the 'Tone' control backwards and called it a 'Filter' control. :confused:
    If you didn't have the LED, the Peavey should be identical. The Fat Cat is also very close; a different chip, and a buffer in front.
    You can likely get these for much less than a big box Rat.

20. giginthesky

giginthesky Friend of Leo's

thanx for the info, ranjam. that would explain why these pedals remind me of my old, old rat pedal. you're right about price, too.... i probably spent about $100 for both.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.