RAT Lovers Front and Center

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Platefire, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Got my late 90's American Made Rat2 about 6 months ago. Most of my dirt needs can mostly be covered by an OD but I have a few songs and occasional needs to push beyond OD. I was previously using a DS-1 for that need, that the RAT replaced. I've been holding on to the DS-1 as a security blanket but I'm beginning to feel I've been weaned;) I may sell the DS-1 but they go at such give away prices, don't know if it's worth the effort. Maybe a mod platform?

The RAT puts up such a wall of sound on power cords, chunky rhythms which the DS-1 did pretty good job on but the difference is when you come to the lead line the RAT sounds so much Rounder, Bigger and less ragged that I can say the trial period is finished. The RAT stays. Platefire

2. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

I like my Rat 2 more than my WFRI and the boutique clones I've owned.

3. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Mine should be arriving today. Hope to join the club!

4. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

I wanted a Rat but after some testing and research, I ended up getting a Cmatmods Ratified, a Rat clone with more options. I may get an actual Rat one day just to have THE original.

5. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I've long said that the answer to 90% of "what dirt box should I buy?" questions is either Rat or Big Muff. If you have those two pedals, you have all the tools necessary to rule the world.

The Big Muff is a one trick pony (but god DAMN, what a trick!), but I think a lot of people don't know how flexible the Rat really is. It's one of the few dirt boxes that doesn't really have a single "sweet spot" where it works best- the entire range of the gain knob provides usable tones. Down low it's cleanish breakup, midway it's classic distortion, and dimed it's wooly fuzz.

I have an early '80s big box Rat and a Chinese R.Attack clone. The R.Attack has a 3-way diode selector switch to go between Si and Ge clipping diodes and LEDs. It's cool, but a little congested in the mids compared to the '80s Rat. I dearly love the Turbo Rat variation with LEDs, I generally leave the R.Attack set to that- it's much more open and amplike compared to the other diodes. You don't get as much gain, but I don't need it. It's sort of like a JTM45 compared to a JCM800 (but not really- the Rat isn't an emulator, just comparing the gain level and responsiveness).

6. markpilip

markpilip TDPRI Member

The Rat is the sound of rock and roll to me. Got my first blackface Rat in 1986 for $50 and have it 30 years later. Doesn't matter what other OD and distortions I have, I always end up back with the Rat. I've got an '88 Rat 2, Turbo Rat and You Dirty Rat as well. Love them all!

7. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I think you'll love it!:cool: Let us know.:)

8. Platefire

I know these super RAT clones has got to be good with all the options. For right now I am just going to enjoy my simple RAT and I don't know about you but sometimes too many options can drive you mad :confused:

Har! seen pictures of Hendrix on stage and all you see is a Fuzzface and a Crybaby. No pedalboard, no power supply just using batteries with everything strung out on the floor haphazardly with only patch cords. Boy we've come a long way haven't we!;)

Anyway here is a pix of my RAT in all its Radiant Glory. Platefire

Attached Files:

9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

There is a spot in my pedal lineup for high gain/ lead tones that I will be looking to fill with something Rat based if not an original. The Rat is just so darn good at so many things. Rats just kill at the searing lead tone thing though...

10. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's a hugely popular pedal for good reason. It does more than just high gain. It's sounds surprisingly good at lower gain settings. I had one in the 1980's and kicked myself for years for selling it to a former bandmate. I got one in 2009 that was modded to '80's specs and have been happy ever since.

11. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

The RAT is a cool pedal, but not all are created equal, just like the Big Muff.
    I've owned several of both of these over the years, out of them only about 2 of each had that special tone, the others were good but not special, variation in the value of components? I don't know but I do know that some sound better than others.
    And of course I don't have any of them anymore that do have the mojo.
    And both have gotten expensive with the passing of time.
    Congrats on the new RAT2, that was one of the "good" ones that I let slip away.
    Maybe I'll revisit the RAT / Muff one day, for now I'm using other things.

12. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

SIR YES SIR! :lol:

13. dezb1

dezb1 Tele-Holic

Don't have the real thing but an getting acquainted with this clone:

[​IMG]

14. ranjam

ranjam Tele-Holic

Keep the DS-1 and mod it. Heck, buy another one for peanuts and keep it stock as a reference. Close to all of my dirt boxes are modded in some small way at least. My big box Rat is one that stays stock. It has so many 'sweet spots' that you can't find a lot to wish you could change. The Ruetz mod is kind of passé now, since it doesn't sound like a Rat after. It really sounds 'best' with a Marshall or at least a head and closed back cabinet. With say a Super Reverb, it's not as fat sounding. But plug your Les Paul into a Rat and into a Marshall with a 4 x 12" cab and ooh la la.
    The DS-1 is more for an 'angry' sounding distortion. They can bot sound buzzy, but the Rat can sound 'fat'. Put an EQ into the Rat and :eek: !

15. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

I hear ya, yes I do...

[​IMG]

DW

16. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

I have an old one I've had for over 25 years that I bought used and it still works great. I don't have it on my guitar pedal board anymore and just use it mostly when I only take a couple of pedals to a quick gig... I love those old analog sounds as they're got the gonads when needed.........JH in Va.

17. Garage_Band1

Garage_Band1 TDPRI Member

I've got a new Chinese RAT2 with a LM308 chip grafted in--traded an entry level lapsteel for it to a fella off of Reverb.

I use it mostly for low gain (Distortion at 9:00, filter at 2:00) with my Tele Custom and my Loar archtop and single P90.

RAT sounds pretty amazing with open D tuning and a slide too. [​IMG]

18. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

This post is so full of truth it's about to burst.

I love my original blackprint small box rat and my rams head/civil war muff clones very very very very much.

The only "gain style" I haven't found my true love in yet is the low gain/OD style pedal and I am really thinking the Snouse black box will do it. It might end up being my holy trinity.

19. Platefire

This is where it rest on my DIY board and fav setting. Platefire

Attached Files:

20. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

Got Rat2 about a month ago and very pleased.
    Very usable pedal.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.