Rare car spotted this morning in Sturgis!

John Backlund

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
There were some good cars made in the mid 70s but they weren’t made in the USA:eek:

Likely quite true, but as long as it was just a nostalgic fling, and not needed for necessary transport, it would be kind of a hoot to have a 'vintage' early Chevette now, or a Pinto.....or a Horizon hatchback......or a Pacer or Gremlin.

look at the response here from just posting a photo of that cheap-azz little car I saw this morning, and imagine the conversations you'd be having at every gas station, grocery store, and coffee shop you pulled it into if you actually had one.

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
Likely quite true, but as long as it was just a nostalgic fling, and not needed for necessary transport, it would be kind of a hoot to have a 'vintage' early Chevette now, or a Pinto.....or a Horizon hatchback......or a Pacer or Gremlin.

look at the response here from just posting a photo of that cheap-azz little car I saw this morning, and imagine the conversations you'd be having at every gas station, grocery store, and coffee shop you pulled it into if you actually had one.

It’s so bad it’s good? I guess I can see that but I’ll stick to cars that are fun to drive:)

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
Nope, 4-door Chevette hatchback...of course, they were all hatchbacks.

We (a long gone girlfriend from that period), bought a brand new 2-door Chevette in 1976, when they first came out. I liked it a lot, it was a manual 4-speed, and a fun little cheapy car to run around St. Paul with.

We wanted to buy a new VW Rabbit when they came out in '75 for, I think, $2999, but missed that first year for them, and by '76 had risen in price to the point that the new Chevette tempted us away in that direction instead. Of course, the Rabbit, being a front drive car, would have been a much better choice for those snowy St. Paul Winters, but the very light, rear-drive, Chevette offered a special level of icy road entertainment that the VW couldn't hope to match.

Our new '76 Chevette looked almost exactly like this example, 'burnt orange' exterior, though ours had a black vinyl interior.
View attachment 921563

Good shot of the modded Vega front end.
Give an engineer a protractor and nothing is sacred!

assquatch20

TDPRI Member
I had to be quick to get a shot of it as it rolled by the front of our car this morning, then got another chance a couple blocks further up the street as it turned into a Cenex station.

What? you ask, caused my excitement?

Well, nothing less than a 'blah-brown' Chevy Chevette, probably a '78 or therebouts.

You just don't see these out on the road much anymore (not joking)...enjoy!
View attachment 921557

View attachment 921558

Somehow I knew in my heart that it was a Chevette before I opened the thread. I have one and am part of an owner's group. They've done well worldwide in different forms of racing, but my favorite is maybe the rally stuff they did with the Vauxhall version. The Opel version is pretty slick also. They're still kinda popular in Brazil it would seem.

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Holic
Hey, are they still churning out Sturgis Jerky up there? My gawd it was my favorite when I lived in Rapid City for 9 and a half years way back. Air Force. I also loved B.J.s Grinder King in Rapid but it looks like they closed. Best pizza and meatball grinders I ever had. There were always some great eating options in Rapid, being somewhat of a tourist town. Prime Rib place on East North st., I think, as well as the Chinese joint, 'Great Wall'.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
upload_2021-11-20_23-37-51.png
The UK’s Chevette was a Vauxhall in much the same ‘cheap runabout’ vein as the stateside one. Mate of mine had one in dull grey. Told everyone he drive a Chevy!

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
I new a girl in High School that had a Chevette diesel. 0 to 60 by sometime next year!

I once newd a girl like that... Maybe I knowed her... ;)

Seriously, the irony is that cars of that class may be less sluggish, better built, far safer.
But that thing got similar fuel consumption numbers to current vehicles in its class.
Safety is good. Reliability is good. But I cant help but think that maybe we could be doing better somewhere here...

But what can I say. I tended to swap V-8's in Vegas and Monzas etc. at the time, so...

John Backlund

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
It’s so bad it’s good? I guess I can see that but I’ll stick to cars that are fun to drive:)

Well, keep it in mind that I own a '97 Honda PC800 'Pacific Coast'....and really like it, so.......

Oh, I wouldn't think of comparing a Chevette to the great 1990 Miata I owned a few years ago. That little roadster was a truly fun car to drive up into the Black Hills.
IMG_20180801_135612345~2.jpg

jimd

Friend of Leo's
We had a 79 snot green chevette. My dad drove it a few years and then us kids all drove it through high school. No wonder I never had any luck with girls back then. My sister used it in college for her student teaching job and then I had for a little bit in college for job interviews. My grandmother ended up with it. I’m not sure how she ever drove it because you had to really mash the brake pedal to stop that thing. That car did really well for the piece of crappolla that it was.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I’m a car geek and even thought it was a Citation.:oops: I don’t remember a 4-door version Chevette. I had a boss that could have owned and driven almost any car made, but he relished the fact that he drove his three cylinder Geo Metro to work everyday … in the heart of Silicon Valley.

yegbert

Poster Extraordinaire
I never owned a Chevette, but I had a couple of Pintos. The best was a wagon with the porthole-like windows on the sides.
6D0A8DBB-12C5-41F9-AA60-6254366B3BD9.jpeg

It had a 2800cc V-6 with a single-stage 2 barrel and a 3.55:1 rear axle. I put a Holley on it. I later owned a turbocharged version of that engine in a ‘79 mustang with a 2-stage Weber 2-barrel.

My other Pinto had a 2400cc I-4.

One thing I thought was weird with the Pintos I had was that the steering columns were pointed at a slight angle instead of more straight towards the rear of the car.

My dad owned several and I drove one of them on dates when I was still a high schooler living at home.

My Pintos were reliable transportation.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I never owned a Chevette, but I had a couple of Pintos. The best was a wagon with the porthole-like windows on the sides.
View attachment 921632
It had a 2800cc V-6 with a single-stage 2 barrel and a 3.55:1 rear axle. I put a Holley on it. I later owned a turbocharged version of that engine in a ‘79 mustang with a 2-stage Weber 2-barrel.

My other Pinto had a 2400cc I-4.

One thing I thought was weird with the Pintos I had was that the steering columns were pointed at a slight angle instead of more straight towards the rear of the car.

My dad owned several and I drove one of them on dates when I was still a high schooler living at home.

My Pintos were reliable transportation.
2 pinto, 1 Chevette owner. Dang, I would not admit to something like that even if it was true.;)

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I had one (Pontiac T1000, same thing). I put the alloy wheels from my Opel on it, and maneuvered a 2.8 V6 with 5 speed from a Chevy S-10 into the engine bay. Far from my favourite car, but I cannot begin to tell you how much fun it was.

Back (lund) in the day a friend of mine had a Yugo, and went to the auto parts store and said, " I want a windshield wiper blade for a Yugo." The counter guy wouldn't do it, claiming he would lose money on the deal!

I remember hearing someone asking an automotive call-in show (Car Guys maybe?) to ask which of two Yugos to buy; a low mileage base model, or a higher mileage with all the options. The answer was the fully-equipped one “because it has a rear window defroster to keep your hands warm while you push it.”