Rare Bird: American Deluxe Nashville Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by 8trackmind, Jun 30, 2020.

1. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

I've probably posted way more photos of my ugly partscasters but never got around to putting any effort into posting this one:

Its a '98 American Deluxe Nashville with the stock 7-way switching however, the stock pickups were not to my liking. Sd Broadcaster bridge, alnico 2 strat in the middle and an STR-1 in the neck. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A friend of mine has 99 deluxe (not a Nashville) on his they put the letters under the clear but in 98...
    [​IMG]

Anybody else have one?

2. RhythmFender

RhythmFender Tele-Meister

Very cool! Love the color! Is it cherry red?

8trackmind likes this.
  3. 8trackmind

Fender called it Crimson Transparent or some such. There was also a black and a teal, they didn't last long. Not sure if there were any other colors on the late 98 early 99's.
    Oh yeah, the white with Tort binding. Don't remember the years on that but it was a Deluxe, not a Nashville.

SparkleFart likes this.
  4. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

That’s one of those ultra rare telec ster guitars isn’t it?

SPUDCASTER, rze99 and 8trackmind like this.
  5. 8trackmind

Well pl yed, sir.

Fretting out likes this.
  6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

From the factory, the maple of the neck was very, very pale - almost white in some light. On this model.

Here's the finish has shifted over time (age and exposure to light) - I think it improves the overall look of the guitar so much.

Very nice.

Andre Rock and 8trackmind like this.
  7. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I think most fenders will darken with age, that’s why I can’t stand tinted necks, both my a.v strat and a.v jazzmaster necks were just about white when I got them and they’ve ambered nicely

All these pre tinted necks are gonna end up that weird orange that the original 52 tele reissues end up looking like

8trackmind likes this.
  8. SparkleFart

SparkleFart TDPRI Member

I have a crimson transparent American Deluxe tele I believe is a two-pickup relative of yours, purchased new from MF in 1999.

I couldn’t leave well enough alone. Soon after I installed a Callaham 3-saddle conversion bridge (good intentions but poor geometry), a set of original Barden pickups, & later a Hipshot drop-D "Xtender." Most days I wish I’d left it unmolested. Anyhow, during one of the surgical procedures I discovered a factory route for a middle pickup hiding beneath the pick guard. I occasionally wonder about filling that empty spot, which I suppose makes me a slow learner! :lol:

dlx_1.jpg

barden.jpg dlx_2.jpg

9. 8trackmind

Don't take the bait, I wish mine was a real telecaster. The middle pickup is a distraction and in my real-world experience, somewhat useless. I have a strat for those sounds.

SparkleFart likes this.
  10. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Meister

Lovely looking guitar! I'm not generally a fan of the red spectrum in guitars, but this one is floating my boat.

Keeping it outdoors among the flowers is a bold move - are you hoping for some aggressive aging?

8trackmind likes this.
  11. 8trackmind

Thanks,!
    Nah, it's already old enough to drink and I have aged guitars.

12. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Holic

I like your guitar.
    I own a 1998 Tele Nashville B bender.

8trackmind likes this.
  13. 8trackmind

The only guitar I would consider trading for.

hotraman likes this.
  14. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Very nice; the Nashville version didn't last too terribly long - the American Deluxes came out around April/May 1998, but I don't know exactly when the change to the traditional 2-pickup layout happened but it was some point between January and June of 1999 - the January 1999 price list shows it being the Nashville version, while the June 1999 price list.

The 1998-99 Nashville version and the 1999 through at least 2000 2-pickup version came in the same set of colors:
    • Crimson transparent
    • 3-color burst
    • Black
    • Transparent teal
    • White blonde (with tortoise shell binding and pickguard)
    • Transparent purple
    Teal, purple, and white blonde were ash bodies; the other colors were alder.

EDIT: Regarding the headstock decal - I seem to recall that Fender started putting the chrome decals under the finish before the end of 1998; I'm not sure how many runs were over the finish. I had a first-run 1998 American Deluxe Strat and it had the decal over the finish; I was lucky to not rub it off the headstock. Never bonded with it, sold it in 1999 and replaced it with an AVRI '62 Strat.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 10:56 AM
    8trackmind and boris bubbanov like this.
  15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

An interesting and sometimes useful bit of trivia.

The location of the middle pickup on the MIA Nashville, and the MIM Deluxe Nashville, don't match. If you need a new pickguard or whatever, make sure you line up the correct one.

8trackmind likes this.
  16. 8trackmind

Thanks, I have a MIM Nashville power telecaster and it is indeed in a slightly different place.

If anything, the middle pickup would go away...I cant bring myself to do it though due to the rarity of this particular model. I know they made 1000's of them but still...

The pickup swap was a must and probably the reason I got it with no fret wear.

17. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Meister

Good looking Nashville, enjoy it.

8trackmind likes this.
  18. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I wanted to build out on my post about the colors a bit - the finish they used for the transparent purple was for lack of a better term unpredictable. It could be a nice dark purple, or it could show up bluer depending on how it faded, the natural color of the particular ash body, etc. I've never seen a purple American Deluxe in person (but I've seen all the other colors across Strats, Teles and basses); from photos I've seen them range from a nice deep "grape soda" purple to a bluish-purple that looked like a fading bruise. Fender swapped out the trans purple for natural finish at the start of 2000. They bring in aged cherry burst (with an ash body), chrome red and candy tangerine (both with alder bodies) at the start of 2002; crimson transparent and natural ash are dropped as of July/August 2002. The white blonde hangs around through the end of 2002, but only with a rosewood fingerboard.

So I'm updating the American Deluxe Tele Generation 1 color list as follows:
    • Crimson transparent (1998-July 2002) - alder body
    • 3-color burst (1998-2003) - alder body
    • Black (1998-2003) - alder body
    • Transparent teal (1998-2003) - ash body
    • White blonde (1998-2002) - ash body - note that for August-December 2002 it is in rosewood fingerboard only
    • Transparent purple (1998-1999) - ash body
    • Natural (2000-July 2002) - ash body
    • Aged cherry burst (2002-2003) - ash body
    • Chrome red (2002-2003) - alder body
    • Candy tangerine (2002-2003) - alder body
    In January 2004 the American Deluxe 2nd Generation series replaces the 1st Generation series.

8trackmind likes this.
  19. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Holic

They are hard to find.
    I think Fender stopped making them.
    But I am seeing more guitar builders make B and G bender mods available.
    I really like the way this Nashville Tele sounds.

8trackmind likes this.
  20. 8trackmind

Good information, thanks!

Heres the boring story of how it came too me.
    A friend of mine had a 98 like this one back in the day and sold it. A few years ago he was stalking Reverb looking to replace it. Well, he got it and then had to go through a guitar purge for monetary reasons shortly after.
    When he first got it, I set it up and mentioned that if he ever wanted to sell it, I'd take it off his hands.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 4:37 PM
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.