Rapid volume roll-off, Deluxe Nashville Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by bluesholyman, Aug 14, 2019.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

I have noticed with my Nashville, that between 9 and 10 there is a drastic volume roll-off that occurs taking pedals from gainy to wimpy in a very short period - this does not happen with the same pedals with my Les Paul. I don't think this is normal and I can't imagine Fender designing it like this. It has the noiseless pickups in it so maybe that has something to do with it.

Anyone know if this is pandemic to this particular 'caster or do I need to look into correcting something?

Thanks,
    BHM

2. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Meister

Try shooting some contact cleaner into the pot. If that doesn't help, replace it.

Bowpickins likes this.
  3. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You have audio tape pots. That's how they're designed to function.

You have linear taper pots in your LP. You want those for your Nashville.

Dr Improbable likes this.
  4. Bowpickins

Bowpickins Tele-Meister

I second this. Spray a bit of cleaner and work the pot back and forth throughout it's full sweep. If this doesn't work, replace. :)

5. bluesholyman

Why in the world would they do this, if that outcome is the expected outcome - its hardly musical

6. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Exactly. Audio taper pots are not to my liking either. I prefer an extremely subtle effect when I move the pot down from 10, not that huge jump you get between 8 and 10 on an audio taper pot.

This is your problem, however. Install a linear taper pot of the same value, and you'll be good to go. If you want to expand the upper range of the sweep even more (i.e. more high end), then double the pot value, and still use linear taper. Or you could get a slightly improved upper end sweep even by sticking with audio taper, but doubling the value.

That said, your Les Paul should have audio volumes and linear tones...but they are 300 KOhm or 500 KOhm, and the pickups react a bit differently with them, being higher in output and less trebly to begin with. When you have less treble to start with, you have less treble to lose as you roll down. And when you have a stronger signal from the pickup, it takes more rolloff to reduce it. Hence the volume knobs appearing to affect the Les Paul differently in the upper range, even though they are also audio taper pots.

Telecaster88 and bcorig like this.
  7. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

All I can say is “wow!”
    Very informative

8. EsquireOK

P.S. If going to linear does the right thing, but too extremely, there are some specially tapered guitar pots out there that provide a taper somewhere in between audio and linear. Some places call them something like "vintage taper," and other places call them other things. I believe some DiMarzio pots are this way, as well as some Mojo-Tone pots, and perhaps Seymour Duncan pots as well. But do your own research; don't quote me on what brands offer what tapers. All I know is that they are out there, because I have come across them from time to time over the years of modding guitars.

9. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

The CTS pots that Fender uses are 10% audio taper. MojoTone sells 30% "vintage" taper pots, which don't have the steep drop-off that you're experiencing. I use one as a volume pot in a Tele, and I think you'd like it.

Ah... I see @EsquireOK beat me to it.

10. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It has something to do with how the human ear works. Forget that. I want my brain to work & audio taper makes my head explode.

I use linear taper always.

11. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Mine are more or less like that , I'd say more 8+-10. I actually like it that way and use it to my advantage.

12. bluesholyman

I am not able roll down on good fuzz/drive pedals that could otherwise handle it. Not trying to be snarky, but I am not sure how I could use it to my advantage - its all dirt or no dirt in a very short adjustment of the volume knob.

13. bluesholyman

Pulled the control plate and both pots are 1M CTS Audio taper - go figure. The guitar has noiseless pickups and I don't mind the brightness - its a Tele after all. I'll just switch over to a linear CTS 1M and seems like that will be good to go.

14. EsquireOK

What year/line is it? I didn't know they were loaded with 1M pots (though many old Teles were).

15. bluesholyman

The one in my avatar - its a 2016 Deluxe Nashville Telecaster.

And I am going to give a 500K linear pot for volume a try as 1M are not available locally. Guessing it will warm up just a tad but hopefully minimal change overall. I'm leaving the tone pot alone.

16. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My 2015/16 Deluxe Nashville with the vintage noiseless pickups came with the 1meg pots.

Replaced all that with a compliment of Cavalier pickups and a harness with 250k pots.

SWEET!!

Thanks Rob.

17. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Holic

It’s nice to see folks talking openly about using linear taper volume pots. Used to be we had to meet secretly in dark alleys and unsavory establishments to discuss them. I find that a linear taper volume pot with 50’s / Fezz Parka / Ted Green / Output Loading (whatever you choose to call moving the tone pot wire over to the output lug of the volume pot) wiring produces the best volume control performance. Nice even roll off without the loss of high frequencies.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.