Rant time - Vacation weddings

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Jan 28, 2019.

1. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

:rolleyes::D:twisted: I wonder if I can get a refund on that "Foreign Policy and the Soviet Union" class. Hmmm.....:lol::lol::lol:
    you make the so very funny .

2. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Good thinking.

I'm 71 and married to a traditional Filipina.

Personally....if I were a young man in today's western culture I would not get married at all.
    I would remain The Lone Wolf for a myriad of legit reasons.

But....that's just me.... :)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I just googled. The average house price in my town is $700,000. That would be some party!

4. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

That is about when I got mine. The degree alone would get me in the door for a lot of CS jobs. My years of experience open up a lot better positions within those doors.

5. Patton

Patton TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

Years ago a cousin of my ex-wife was getting married in Hawaii. My ex was 3/4 through with her bachelors degree in accounting, the economy was crap, I had many repairs upcoming to the 1930's house we were in and couldn't afford it. A good portion of her family acted astounded that we weren't going. "We just can't afford it right now" fell on so many deaf ears with the inevitable head shaking and someone even replied "well maybe if you sold some of those guitars you could afford it". Thanks for the advice.

My current wife's best friends daughter was getting married in Puerto Rico, as her fiancee was from there, and it happened to fall during the same one week period as my 50th birthday in April 2018. I can afford this sort of thing now so we were excited to make it a dual use vacation. We were researching plane tickets and places to go when hurricane Maria slammed the island in September 2017. It hit those poor people badly, lots of destruction, and while the grooms family all survived the destination wedding I could finally afford was cancelled.

That, my friends, is my life in a nutshell.

uriah1 likes this.
  6. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

OMG you should’ve seen all the shrimp!

BigDaddyLH likes this.
  7. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

People should do what they want, including my kids
    They also know that I will do what I prefer....

8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

The way it are now the CS degree will get you in the door while your gray hair will send you right back out. It's also like years of experience don't matter now either at most places, only what you've done in the past 6 months or so.

9. rcole_sooner

Around here places are desperate for people with a CS degree. If they can use vi and write a "hello world" program ... don't even have to know how to compile it ... hell it could be a script ... I can use em. I'm Linux, my wife looks for Windows developers.

The really well paying ones are a bit harder to get into.

That is just from trying to hire them. I have not looked for a job in forever. I've been at the same job for over 20 years.

10. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Oh I'm sure they still just think I'm nuts. Couple of them have called me at 3am after 30 years. Then they popped themselves. That's always fun.

11. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

Its a first world problem.
    People spend their $$ how they want. I'm sure some would criticize how I spend mine, but I earn it, they don't...my choice, not theirs.
    I was just over on the Foreign Wedding page and someone there was criticizing old fart guys that waste lots of $$ on guitars, amps and pedals.
    Its all perspective...

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Well, my siblings (all 3) and my parents each ended up owning residential real estate in nice places in California, and now these places are worth a stinking ton of money, every one of them. My house and my office building in Louisiana together are not worth but half of the lowest value of any of theirs.

But most of my nephews, and maybe my niece, will end up owning outside of CA because the prices are just not that attainable for the younger set. And the same sort of thing is happening to my girlfriend's nieces and nephews in CA, except maybe one.

Your advice sounds valid, in the Center of the country, but as for the hot locations on the Atlantic and Pacific, I don't agree.

rcole_sooner likes this.
  13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

+1 This is wisdom.

This really is what life seems to be about these days. If people could only step back, and just go for a walk in a meadow. Look up at the Milky Way. We're some of the luckiest people ever to have walked the face of the Earth and most of us can't even see it.

uriah1 likes this.
  14. rcole_sooner

I never meant to say it is wrong for everyone, I just meant to say it is not right for everyone ... ya know ... a home, 1 1/2 kids, and a dog and a cat ... "The American Dream".

Yeah there is a ton of money in it ... for those who know what they are doing ... like any investment opportunities. Congrats to your siblings and parents, sound like they done good!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.