Rant time - Vacation weddings

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Jan 28, 2019.

1. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

To the bride and groom, it’s all about Facebook and pretentiousness . To me it’s just another vacation. If the wedding destination is Mexico or Jamaica, I’ll put a check in the reply envelope and take my own vacation. If the destination is Paris, I’m in. If the destination is Hawaii, no big deal to me. I’ll just shift my annual sojourn forward or back.

2. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Mmm no, alot of members here are Canadan.

Chunkocaster and mitchfinck like this.
  3. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Most weddings are by default a narcissistic production, especially the larger ones. They always have been, so blaming Instagram is kind of silly. The whole point of a big wedding is to share your joy, hope, etc, with other people. We are just able to access pictures and discussions easier now, which, depending on your temperament, may or may not be good. I’m not surprised a bunch of internet-addicted weirdos are scared to leave the house, watch a wedding, get some food and drink, and have a little real-life human interaction. Sad, but I guess it’s sign of the times.

As for destination weddings, because of the expense you always have an easy excuse to decline, other than “I plan on spending all night on the internet”.

4. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

A tricky subject.

Way back when film was the only gig in town, I used to supplement my meagre salary by photographing weddings. As a relatively impartial observer, I found weddings to be somewhat odd. Not all the time, but quite often.

In many cases, one family might not believe that their beloved daughter / son should be lowering themselves to marry their chosen partner and/or be tying themselves into the family from whence the chosen partner sprung.

Wedding breakfasts / receptions were often divided down family lines, drunken fights broke out and bad words were spoken.

Anyway, where both sets of family and associated friends know and respect one another, a local family wedding is a great occasion. However, where there's friction and resentment, I'd definitely vote in favour of a combined wedding / honeymoon as, if the tensions surface, the big day will be remembered for all the wrong reasons.

thegeezer and Paul in Colorado like this.
  5. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah … why spoil a fun vacation by getting married ?

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Yes, but there is a change that has been brought on by things like reality TV and social media fame-dom. Previously, people felt the need to keep up with their local Jones'. Now they feel the need to keep up with a whole world of Jones', not only with weddings but with other things as well (like say, boutique guitar gear).

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yes, I would like to be able to return from the trip!

8. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted

My wife and I tried to have a simple backyard wedding. By the time our parents got done demanding that we invite such and such cousin and great Aunt thrice removed the guest list grew well beyond our wishes. When it was all over, the idea of a solution in which we could invite all these people with whom we have some obligation to invite but no actual relationship, and have them not actually attend sounded mighty appealing. Asking them to shell out for a plane ticket seems like a pretty good way to separate the wheat from the chaff, as it were.

The "entitlement" accusation goes two ways. Namely, people who expect someone else's wedding to be made most convenient for them.

Whatizitman likes this.
  9. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Only been to one. My wife's son and girlfriend got married in the Yucatan. I did not appreciate having to shell out for it, but ended up having an excellent time. So the annoyance disappeared.

10. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

A nice idea from our end of it, but it would defeat the purpose of keeping out people who can't pony up.

11. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I'm cool with people having their own, private vacation weddings. Why not, if it pleases them? When they start inviting people, then they start excluding people who can't participate. If the price of admission for 2 is $1500 for air fare, accommodations, and a car for a wedding on Furshugginer Island, then 90% of the invitations become nothing more than requests for gifts.

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You could always make your gift a donation in their name to a charity or group calculated to p!$$ them off. :cool:

uriah1 and Teleterr like this.
  13. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

At least one difference ... an education can never be taken away from you.

thegeezer and tery like this.
  14. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

We have internet now. If I hadn't gotten a little "higher education" I'd still be as dogdicc stupid as those I walked away from. I tab the old crowd on social media and most who stayed put and worked local jobs are pretty pitiful. They have the world view of a modern serf.

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

We did one to an exclusive island. How could I say, "no" since I was asked to "officiate" out in the open seas on an incredible yacht? Yup, never again, but I must say, it was a trip of a lifetime for Mrs. Obsessed and almost everything paid for by the groom's brother.

They got divorced within two years. Just sayin'

Paul in Colorado and uriah1 like this.
  16. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Meister

My wife and I figured out what it would cost us for a wedding. Then we got married at a JP and donated the rest. Never regretted it. The family who had an issue got cut off because they were douchebags.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

uriah1 likes this.
  17. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

I think a key difference is people used to have a choice.

There's nowhere I could live that I could remotely afford on a home in a single income. Unless I move to an even more rural area which won't work for my job (rural Ontario has badically no internet structure). And I actually do ok earnings wise . I have it easier than people younger than me though.

Personally I am ok renting since I am single and don't have a need for much. But I know that there's no way I could own a home if I wanted to.

18. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Wonder what the "old crowd" thinks of you? ;)

19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Right. It just becomes obsolescent every five years or so :)

20. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

I know my computer science degree has held up.

Really I don't know of anyone with a B.S or higher that has not held up.

Now certs are a different story.

thegeezer and Tommy Biggs like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.