Rant time - Vacation weddings

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Jan 28, 2019.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Those types, and the heroin kids, are the ones you notice.

The ones you don't notice are the quiet, responsible, intelligent ones, busy working at their education or making a living

Tommy Biggs and geoff_in_nc like this.
  2. blowtorch

And from which generation do you think the yuppies "bought in" from?

3. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Some were boomers. Some were kids of tweeners. But yeah, the ex-hippy yuppies were the definitely the dregs of the 80s. Good riddance. If millennials at times seem...confused, it's not without good reason.

blowtorch likes this.
  4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

So are millenials the X or Y or Z generation.

I lost track. I thought a std generation was 4-5 years.

5. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Post Gen-X. Or, the Linkin Park Generation. :mad:

6. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I went to one in Vegas but then my nephew lives in Vegas , Got invited to one in Maui could not afford to go........evidently the Bride couldn't afford to go ether (no show) Our wedding was at the Plumbers Union Hall it turned out great $150 to rent the business agents were the Bar tenders, My wife did work in the office and about two years later I joined.

Paul in Colorado and uriah1 like this.
  7. blowtorch

Z-ish, I'd say. Maybe even later, not sure what the cutoff is for these things.
    Also- I forget what the post-millennials are being referred to as conventionally
    (hopefully it's not the "post-millennials)"

8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I think it covers from the early 80's to around 2000. GenY
    They were created about the same time the education system and TV were turned upside down and shaken.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  9. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

While on our honeymoon in Hawaii, we saw outside the hotel a little arch. At about 9am, couples from Japan started getting married there. One couple every ten minutes the entire time we were having breakfast. I can't imagine a duller way to get hitched.

As for generations, I have no worries. The results of my work in various places has saved lives and been viewed by millions. My advice to various of my former students had led to some pretty incredible discoveries, and saved other lives. The stuff I've taught others has made them better people, and I continue to do that today.I have changed the world for the better, there is no doubt about it.

But that's nothing compared to how my children might. I'm a booster rocket to the future.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  10. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

11. blowtorch

Me too man, me too.
    Before my existence, there was no song "Judge, Jury, & Juliette", now...

:cool:

12. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

I haven’t been married and don’t really plan to, either. But even if we do decide to get hitched, we’ll do it low key and on a budget. Neither of us sees the point in throwing a lavish party in our own honour. (Classic introverts.)

If people want to spend five figures on their wedding, they can go right ahead. But I’m not likely to spend four figures to join them at their resort of choice.

chulaivet1966, LocoTex and uriah1 like this.
  13. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

One more comment on the millennial thing. I am 43, and I noticed destination weddings first getting common in my early 30's. I think it's another case where social media makes it look like it's some current trend.

14. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Sometimes it's done to keep the numbers down. An 'unvitation' so to speak. Some people just don't want 250 guests at a wedding and any attempt to pare the numbers down usually ends up with hurt feelings. It's just a personal choice. My daughter got married at 'Henley on Thames' last summer and though it would have been easier for me have it locally, I couldn't imagine a more memorable and enjoyable wedding as it turned out.

15. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

I'm going to a destination wedding, and I'm really pretty excited about it! :D

Well, OK. The destination is Birmingham AL. And it's gonna be in early March, it'll probably be cold AF (well, cold for a sub-tropical dweller such as myself). And it's not even an actual wedding... just a wedding reception. Really, it's a celebration of matrimony party, with a killer band, and very likely an assortment of interesting people.

What happened was: my buddy, who I was pretty damn sure was as close to a confirmed bachelor as I had ever befriended, managed to start dating a woman in France (He travels. A lot.). Some years later, with lots of trips back & forth btw France and Alabama, they decided to get hitched. I knew that was happening early on in the planning... I was kinda worried, OH CRAP I'm gonna have to renew my passport and fly to Paris to go to this wedding...but that never came to pass. He and his sweetie did a civil union, in France, in some little government office near her home, just before this past Christmas. A few days later, he abandoned her (had to get back to Alabammy! :p). Anyways, there actually is some plan for her to permanently move to the states at some point, and for them to be together and live happily ever after... but in the meantime, he rightly decided a USA based party of celebration is in order.

So yup, by most accounts it's a destination wedding, but without the ceremony: I'm footing the bill for three airfares, a car rental, a couple nights in hotels, and sundry other costs. The cost isn't a particular burden for me, and I happen to think Imma have a blast.

~~~~~

A destination wedding is fine; it's the couples' day, they get to make the call. But making ridiculous assumptions and demands on the people who are invited (and who might possibly be expected to shell out big bucks), is another matter. These things should be handled delicately.

FWIW, this ain't a social media thing... I think it's all those reality teevee shows with Bridezillas and seventeen cable channel coverage of Brad Pitt marrying Michael Jackson that caused this wedding stuff to spin out of control. Actually it probably goes back to Robin Leech and his Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous...
    :rolleyes:

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  16. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So. A thread about destination weddings turns into an ageist beat down. And by the way...we hippies turned out to be right about some important stuff.

I have an odd way of responding to wedding invitations. If I want to go, I go and if I don't want to go, I don't go. My wife and I got married on $100 by some politician in a hot, 2nd story office. Seems to have worked OK. Forty years in June and turned out to be the best investment we ever made...

17. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

A friend-of-a-friend is having they're wedding in Scotland. They and their entire family are from Indiana/Illinois...

If they want to do that, awesome for them. But don't be surprised if it's the bridge, groom, officiator, and the parents. (and word on the street is that even the parents are ticked off at the location)

18. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

Gently now, I got something inside of marriage I couldn't find outside marriage:

[​IMG]

This lovely lady was only available to anyone as a wife, and I was the lucky one. We have been married thirty-eight and a half great years. And yes, there was risk - but it is generally acknowledged that the greatest rewards in life are accompanied by equal risk.

Our 1980 wedding might be considered a "destination wedding" in that it was held at her home church in the shadow of the Watchung Mountains in New Jersey. Attending it required an eleven-hour (one way) expedition for all of the folks from my family who live in the shadow of the great Smoky Mountains in Tennessee. It was a short, traditional wedding with the vows coming from the Book of Common Prayer. No dance, no "stand up, sit down, fight, fight, fight," no floor show, just a reception and a meal for close friends and family. The content of the ceremony, the vow,s and the joining of the two people, was the focus.

In my experience, the more the wedding focuses on the entertainment details and glitz of the celebration, the less it focuses on the core, the meaning and importance of the union it creates.

That's what I think, anyway.

Bob

19. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Owning a house is not for everyone. In a way we were sold a "bill of goods" on home ownership. Our parents meant well, by telling us of the tax and other benefits, but most of these were simply not true. These "lies" were sold to them by the home mortgage companies.

Many time renting/leasing is a better option than ownership.

A simple savings plan, can easily far outweigh any tax benefits.

Not knocking home ownership. It also can be the correct choice for some people.

thegeezer and blowtorch like this.
  20. blowtorch

Ditto "higher" education

Wallo Tweed and rcole_sooner like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.