Rant time - Vacation weddings

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Jan 28, 2019.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

"Why would people envy Millenials? The first generation that the majority will probably never own a house or be debt free?"

Because they have the promise to actually make some positive difference in the world, being relatively generally unencumbered with hippie degeneracy

RomanS, Marc Morfei and unixfish like this.
  2. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

Social media has given assholes the ability to be bigger assholes. So I think that's why there's a focus on it. It's given the type of people that have always existed in every generation an easy platform to be more visible.

It's not a dig on social media as a whole. I use social media and don't follow negative narcissistic people. Which means I don't see all the negative sides of it.

chulaivet1966 and bgmacaw like this.
  3. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted

My wife and I have never been invited to a vacation wedding - until now.

My youngest son has announced the he and his fiancée will be getting married in June 2020 on the Greek island of Thassos. My wife and I are very lucky in that we have travelled quite extensively - we have been to Thassos - and vowed never to return! Although it is a pleasant island - it is not somewhere that we would wish to return to.

My in-laws are both 88 years old and have never left these shores. My dad and step-mum are in their early 80's and not in the best of health. So I guess there are 4 more people who won't be going.

There will be some interesting conversations ahead.....

Chunkocaster, uriah1 and howardlo like this.
  4. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

Weddings are for the wedded to do how they want. Big deal. We saved on a ceremony by not having one. Bought a house instead. People who felt like they missed out on something threw us a party. Win/win.

5. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I think people do destination weddings when they really don't want very many guests to attend. "Hey, the wedding's in Greece. If you want to come, great! If not, we don't really care!"

Manual Slim likes this.
  6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

The closest thing to a destination wedding I've been to was my ex's sister's in Branson, MO. We had more fun driving there and back, going to little towns on the state highways and checking out antique stores then we did at the wedding. The bride and groom were members of a religious group we weren't part of and it kind of got rubbed in our faces.

I wouldn't mind a destination wedding in some place tropical. Especially this time of the year. Unfortunately, I seem to go to more funerals then weddings these days. That's it! I'm going to have a destination funeral when I check out!

aerhed and BigDaddyLH like this.
  7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I was using my guitar forum curmudgeon voice.;)

Steve Holt and blowtorch like this.
  8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

9. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

:lol::lol::lol:

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  10. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Well....without reading other posts (yet)....

I'm getting old too as I don't relate to any millennial trends should this 'Vacation Wedding' thing be one of them.
    I guess if one is rolling bucks with a flexible life then it's a non-issue.....so, have a Crown Royal for me.

Personally....I don't care for weddings or attending them.
    I have never been fond (understatement) of crowds or big events (family or otherwise) requiring endless small talk.
    I'll stay home and pull weeds or do dishes. (code for: firing up the DAW and finish that rhythm axe track that's been nagging me)

It's great for the bride/groom, though.....I get it. :)
    (Yes....we played many of them in the 70's.)

Unfortunately, when I see the phrase Vacation Wedding I think = oxymoron.

But....that's just me.
    Carry on.....

aerhed and Paul in Colorado like this.
  11. blowtorch

12. blowtorch

Me too! Book a flight to Norway!
    [​IMG]

LocoTex and Paul in Colorado like this.
  13. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I think you’re all missing something. Doing it at the Moose lodge is wonderful if everyone (or nearly everyone, or even MOST people) attending the wedding all live in the same town as the Moose lodge in question. But how often is that the case today?

My daughter is getting married in October. She grew up in Pennsylvania. She lives on the North Carolina coast now. Her fiancé is from elsewhere also. Most of their friends and relatives are spread out all over the country. There’s no Moose Lodge anywhere that more than a few of the people attending the wedding live near. So they’re getting married in the mountains of Western North Carolina, not particularly close to anyone in or attending the wedding, but they like the area and they were able to find a facility where pretty much everyone who comes will be able to stay and where they have a beautiful spot to have the wedding. And it’s accessible to a decent size airport.

A lot of people just don’t live that close together these days - the vast majority of people are gonna have to travel some distance to the wedding no matter where they decide to have it. The place they’re having it is a place they can afford to host everyone they’re inviting (about 70-75 people), but everyone is on their own for getting there. If money was less of an issue, maybe they’d do it in Costa Rica or Greece. But however you slice it, it is a destination wedding because that’s the best way for them to be able to accommodate the people they want to celebrate with, who are spread to the four corners of the country, if not the globe.

This is not some fancy high zoot bragging rights Instagram thing. It’s a place to have a wedding that will require no more travel or expense for most of the people who will be there than if they did it in their home town, or her parent’s hometown, or his parent’s hometown, or the one remaining grandparent’s hometown. It’s not an inconvenience - it’s actually eminently practical to do it that way...

-Ray

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I was thinking that if the people you'd invite to the wedding were spread out on the map, you could still choose somewhere nice in the geographic centre, as it were. That's different from having it in Bali.

15. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

While I agree with some of that non-traditional far flung across the US family , I do hope they do not get shamed by their peers.

16. blowtorch

Is "long pig" still culturally a thing in Bali? Could make for a real interesting reception! :)

17. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

China might be a good option for having a wedding. You could wholesale all the gear and get a few cheap medical procedures done while you were there. Most things come from there anyway. Might as well cut out the middle man.

LocoTex and uriah1 like this.
  18. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

My sister is legally married to her wife, currently resides in Utah County, of all places. Just sayin'. But they did go out of state, as I recall. Destination wedding doesn't have to be out of the country!

I fully respect the couples that do all they can to include as much family as possible. But after dealing with my own family's baggage trying to please them all for MY wedding, I'm all for couples doing whatever the hell they want - family included or not. It's their relationship. No one else's.

19. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Have you seen the amount of Vegan Organic Lactose intolerant types getting around these days? Hippie degenerates have made a comeback and are out in force at a coffee shop near you. Most are too busy Hash tagging and following the latest trends to worry about making a real change.

20. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Yup. A big chunk of millenials' parents weren't hippies, but yuppies. I can't think of anything better to rebel against.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.