Rant time - Vacation weddings

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Jan 28, 2019.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

While I was on a plane coming back from a trip, a bunch of young 20 to 30something riders
    were next to me. I happen to aske them where they were coming from, and they said
    costa Rica for a wedding. The man went on further to say that is the 4th vacation wedding
    he went to in the last couple years.

I said, what about at the local "Ellks or Moose" lodge? He continued on and said, (WE) don't do it like that.

That is just too sad. What about 80 and 90 year old grandparents. What about folks that can't afford that . They get the value edition of the wedding at city Hall?

Just, too too bad.

Oh well. I am getting older.

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

(Curmudgeon voice) Dang Millenials!

Creating a Facebook/Instagram worthy experience is the thing today. Reality TV has fueled this trend since just about everyone wants to be a "star" today.

Another trend feeding into it is that more affluent people are getting married later in life and can sort of afford to blow the money,, provided they aren't drowning in student loan debt. Poor folks still get married on the cheap though.

nojazzhere, darren7, Flakey and 5 others like this.
  3. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

I hear ya! "We'll plan the use of your vacation time and money for you."

4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've been invited to a few vacation weddings and didn't attend. I think the trend is motivated by bragging rites and people wanting impressive selfies to show off to friends and strangers online.

If you want to have a bank account that resembles a celebrities then don't get married at all.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  5. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

It doesn't really bother me if people want to do something like this, as long as I have the option of
    not attending.

I went to a wedding a few years ago that had a tropical vacation theme (no travel involved, but the bride and
    groom provided a pair of flip flops for all their guests. Not everybody was comfortable wearing them).

uriah1 likes this.
  6. Bella_Caster

Bella_Caster Tele-Meister

I think I'd rather just hit myself in the head with a brick than go on a vacation wedding. But then, maybe that's just because I hate weddings. If I ever get married it will be in my backyard. Plus it's only about 20 feet from the honeymoon suite and less chance that my drunk feet will trip on my train.

7. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Not that I matters. I'm not a marriage fan anyway.

I do enjoy a good wedding reception with an open bar. Those usually get interesting.

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

yeah i guess it's too bad that grandparents and even sometimes parents may not be able to attend because of this stuff, but, weddings, or marriage rather, don't really mean anything anymore anyway, so hey, why not. have your big to-do in some third world nation with a nice tourist area, with just your other over-privileged and entitled friends, and then quietly break up in a couple years, when it's discovered that one or both are affairing.

isn't that how it's generally done these days?

9. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

The folks throwing the wedding don't pay for the guests?

Still older people are not going to be able to travel that far, but if that gets me out of a local wedding, I don't see the issue. :lol:

Wildcard_35 and nojazzhere like this.
  10. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I think this is it.

PingGuo, nojazzhere and Chunkocaster like this.
  11. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I hate weddings. If my kids want to do the remote island wedding thing, more power to 'em. I'd rather pay for that than a traditional wedding. Even if I don't go. I'll watch on skype or whatever. Weddings mean very little to me. Anyone can get married. Just like anyone can have children. Keeping a quality, healthy, and meaningful relationship together takes actual work. I will celebrate that however they want to.

ricardo1912, Wildcard_35 and Flakey like this.
  12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

"Uuuuuuuhhhhh! I don't want ugly old people in my wedding photos. No grandparents! And Daddy's new wife is prettier and younger than me so I don't want her there. Daddy better pay for it or I'm not speaking to him ever again!"

13. blowtorch

Sounds about right.

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Went to one in Las Vegas once. The town had changed a lot since I lived there. They'd swapped out seedy with tacky and neon with LEDs.

Good time had, but wouldn't've felt bad about missing it if I hadn't been able to afford to go.

The selfies theory rings true. Another part of the appeal of a Costa Rica wedding is that a lot of ageist little pismires don't really WANT a bunch of wrinkly old relatives there who don't know gangsta from Gangnam (unless the old cusses can afford to arrive bearing shamelessly lavish gifts).

nojazzhere, howardlo and bgmacaw like this.
  15. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

In a wrinkled old nutshell.

LocoTex likes this.
  16. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

A 30 something friend missed his close friends wedding because he couldn t afford the cruise fee. If youre rich enough for a foreign setting , then maybe charter a flight and hotel for your guests. I found it odd that bridemaids are suppose to pay for a dress they ll wear once even in traditional weddings.

17. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

The big wedding (with planning, expense, etc.) is just not for everyone, so let them have their destination weddings. I've been to a few destination weddings, and they are a LOT of fun. Most recent one was in Las Vegas...great time! I've been to a City Hall wedding as well...nothing wrong with them either.

18. blowtorch

Marriage is a huge liability for most men (and some women).

A guy can't get anything inside of marriage that he can't find outside of one, and with considerable less risk, too.

It's a sad state of affairs (no pun intended)

Wildcard_35 and Paul in Colorado like this.
  19. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

At the other end of the scale overseas weddings can sometimes provide a lavish ceremony and party for peanuts compared to your local venues. Places like Thailand and Bali are very heap to have weddings in.
    A friend did that and the dress cost something like $50 bucks, they got 5 star accommodation and the whole deal including airfares, ceremony, photographer came in at under $5k.
    They just had immediate family attend.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  20. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

I like that we millennials get the blame for both being too poor and for spending exorbitantly. I think for this one you should put the onus on the rich, and not on the age group.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.