Rant. Sorry... But I must.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dlew919, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Thank you (and other "lefties") for backing this up. I think sometimes folks think I'm just prejudiced against "left-handedness", and I'm NOT....I am, however, prejudiced against not being practical. As I've stated before, if you want to play guitar behind your back while standing on your head, I fully support that. But ESPECIALLY if someone is just starting to learn, do it "right" and you'll be much happier in the long run.
    The bass player I began playing with around 1966 is still the BEST player I've had the privilege to play with, (and I've played with some wonderful bassists) and he is a left-hander who plays "right". He can do ANYTHING from Entwhistle to Squire to Duck Dunn.....you name it! Plus, when we started playing, there were few to none left-handed basses. For years, he played a Gibson EBO, then switched to a 1964 Fender Jazz that he still plays today.
    When you are starting from scratch....I strongly urge anyone to do it the "right" way!

drlucky and Shuster like this.
  3. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Amen Brother!!

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I’m a lefty. I play lefty. There is no other way I want to be. I don’t wish I was right handed. It would be nice if there were as many lefties available as there are righty, but that’s the way it is. If someone had tried to change me over to right handed when I first started,(and they didn’t) I would have politely thanked them for their time and moved on to someone who respected my wishes.

Ben-Zion likes this.
  5. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

EDITED: I responded in the wrong thread!......I will now try and find the right one......forgive me!!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

If I may RESPECTFULLY ask a question?.....when you say, "If someone had tried to change me over to right handed......" how would you have known a difference? In the traditional (classical) music world, there are NO "right-handed" or "left-handed" instruments.....they are simply played the way they are designed to be played. There's no such thing as a "left-handed" piano or organ, or a "left-handed" clarinet, trombone, or tuba. There are plenty of players who are "left-handed", but they play "right". (and no, I don't mean that in any pejorative way). Cars are made with steering on the left, shifting on the right, etc. without any accommodation for "left-handed" drivers......we simply LEARN the way the object is.....why are guitars considered different?
    While some of my "arguments" may be a little weak, I think my overall point is valid..... the availability of instruments is FAR better for "conventional" designed instruments, and thus that is the most PRACTICAL way to learn one. Again, I intend NO malice or animosity.....just trying to be LOGICAL. ;)

7. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

@nojazzhere, Sorry I forgot to quote your post: I’m not much on logic when playing guitar is concerned, otherwise playing right handed would be the way to go. When I first picked up a guitar, I immediately oriented it left handed. It was a friend’s guitar. He told me that I was holding it left handed and this was a right handed guitar. He said no problem, all I had to do was reverse the strings. Well, it got to be more complicated than that, but it got me off to a start. My next guitar was an SG which made sense because of the symmetry of it.

In the end, it just didn’t feel right to hold the guitar right handed. I know that learning that way, even at the earliest stage, would have been an impedance to my development and enjoyment.

When I was very young, I was coloring in my coloring book and my father noticed I was holding the crayons in my left hand. He tried to take the crayon out of my left hand and placed it in my right hand. It felt wrong and awkward. Frustrated, he made an appointment with the doctor to see if he could correct my “problem”. When we got to the doctors, the doc asked my father, “so, why is Louie here today?” My father replied, “There’s something wrong with him, doctor, I keep trying to get him to hold the crayons in his right hand, but he keeps insisting on holding it in his left.” The doctor replied, “There’s nothing wrong with Louie, there’s something wrong with you! He’s left handed and there’s nothing wrong with that. Leave him be.” From that point forward, that man was my hero. No one had ever stuck for me before. I no longer felt like I was defective.

Someone else in this thread mentioned the fact that right handed people have a hard time understanding why lefties can’t just stop being difficult because it’s a two handed instrument so what’s the difference? I’m sorry to inform them it’s not that simple. When you’re right handed, everything is made for you. Being lefty means having to make myriad adjustments to accomplish what right handed people just take for granted. “Well, Lou, when you play guitar the fretting hand requires more dexterity, so why don’t you play right handed.” Well, using that logic, why don’t you play lefty?

Thanks for asking. I hope I shed some light on what it’s like to be a lefty player. Like I said before, I enjoy being and playing lefty and I wouldn’t have any other way. I even belong to a group of lefty players, and we get together regularly to play guitars and swap and we have a ball.

nojazzhere and dlew919 like this.
  8. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

It is possible to get lefty parts in Australia, at a price:

https://www.realparts.com.au/left-hand-parts/hardware/lefthand-bone-nut-for-gibson-slotted.html

Re the left handed discourse, as a lefty I feel comfortable playing left handed. I am virtually ambidextrous because the world is right centric, but will always default to my left hand.

My experience of trying to play right handed has always been awkward, to say the least. Some left handed people can manage to play right handed, I cannot.

9. Ben-Zion

Ben-Zion Tele-Meister

Are you left handed? Because I have RARELY heard a lefty, even one who plays righty, take the "just play the damned thing right handed" viewpoint.

I knew when I read the OP that this thread would turn this direction. I'll bet every lefty on the forum did.

Hey right handers, pick up a left handed guitar and tell us how well you do.

I've played lefty for forty years. I've also had extended periods when I tried to play right handed. Did o.k. on bass, but not guitar or banjo. As everyone knows, there are degrees of handedness. I am VERY left handed. My son, age 30, is left handed and is an excellent right handed guitar player, but he is naturally more ambidextrous than me. I would have happily let him play left handed if he had had the trouble I did when I started.

I'd rather play guitar as well as possible, and I'm willing to put up with the "instrument availability issue" to do so.

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. Ben-Zion

Ben-Zion Tele-Meister

OP, respect to you for supporting a student who may want / need to play lefty!

11. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I play left handed , always have and always will, from the first day i picked up the guitar, to get some one to play right handed when they are wired lefty is as ignorant as me saying all righties play left ,cuz thats the correct way to play and when you were learning. stupid statement , stupid solution , the kid needs a lefty guitar if he is co-ordinated that way, you never play the same way in the wrong orientation and your dexterity is hindered , I've known people who can play each way , two different players in one body, different aproaches each way .

Ben-Zion likes this.
  12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Life is haaaaaaard!

nojazzhere and dlew919 like this.
  13. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

If you don't have the technical ability to put a wider nut on a guitar you technically have no abilities. I assume what they had planned to do was just put in a pre-slotted nut, then couldn't find the right one. Just Sales people pretending to know their products would be my guess.

14. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

I wouldn't push a student one way or another. Just go with what feels natural for the student.

I do understand the "Flawed Logic" of trying to convert someone to right because the industry is terrible at offering the same models in left option. In theory lefties are robbed of some of the opportunities righties have.

15. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

That is really poor customer service by any standard. I am also questioning the wisdom of taking lessons from one who doesn't speak the same language. The whole situation seems really messed up. Sorry it happened to you.

16. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Meister

How old is the student? Younger students can switch handedness way easier. I'm a lefty that plays right handed and I am glad I do. The availability issue extends beyond the guitar because of how well guitar skills transfer to other fretted instruments. Good luck finding a lefty mando, bass or banjo....but guitar skills help people play those instruments, too. The chance of that instrumental cross pollination taking place gets way more remote when you are playing lefty.

I'm surprised it is that hard to find a nut in Sydney. Regardless, I would have never taken that task upon myself. Give them a luthier/tech recommendation, but taking it in for them is kinda beyond the scope of your mission.

Sounds like you might need to do some prospectin' for luthiers/guitar techs.

17. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've played lefty all of my life, tried righty several times, never would work for me....

All of the posts in this thread are part of the reason I started working on my own guitars back in 1979, it was just easier to do it all myself.

18. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

For whatever it's worth, I think it's great that you tried to get the student's guitar fixed for her. I remember my first teacher taking the time to meet my mom and me at the local store to pick out an acoustic. It was a student-model Yamaha that was built like a tank (but perhaps not the easiest thing in the world to play). Decades later, I still appreciate the fact that he went above and beyond for a new student. I think we were paying him $5 for a half hour.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Ben-Zion likes this.
  19. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

Can you imagine my surprise when I found out they didn't make left handed pianos?

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I’m ambidextrous and glad I learned guitar “righty”. I throw left handed, bat lefty, play tennis righty, golf righty, write righty. Once I learn it one way I get good at doing it that way and then it’s harder to switch. My girlfriend a ways back was a serious lefty. I set her up with a lefty Strat and found it easier to play righty with the strings upside down than to play lefty— but only because I’ve been playing righty for yrs.

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.