RANT!!! MY "BABY" BROTHER IS HOME, I'M NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS.

JeffroJones

Tele-Meister
Clearly your family life is none of my beeswax, but since you have posted...
I too have a family featuring some "colorful" elements that we're stuck with...
I've had some success with a "pre-emptive strike", the charm offensive...
I'm wondering, is there anything nice that you two can do, find some common ground, just the two of you?
A movie, a lunch, a dinner together?
Any chance of a hug and saying "love you bro?"
Or maybe I'm just being sappy 😂

:::

Last edited:

FuzzWatt

Tele-Holic
Sorry to hear about your situation OP. Fortunately, this is not something I have to deal with, but I understand your frustrations.

My dad's side of the family were the drunks, and since he died when I was young we've had no contact with them.

I do, however, have an extended family full of religious and political zealots who wield their opinions like a chimp with a hammer.

Fortunately, the pandemic has given a few of us reprieve and the much needed excuse to no longer visit them.

Ryden

Tele-Holic
On a more serious note, obnoxious relatives are a plague, I hope you'll find some way of handling the situation. A friend once managed to put a particularly obnoxious uncle in the drunk tank on the evening before a wedding and was soundly kissed by the bride and bridesmaids for it.

Stubee

Doctor of Teleocity
Man, that sounds rough. I’ve dealt with multiple bouts of somewhat similar garbage with each of my three siblings. No violence toward family but drunkenness, ruination of multiple Christmases, bizarro behavior ranging from just plain weird to a major bank robbery. I know that at least two of them feel zero regret for any of their stuff, just sadness over their own plight.

At 71 I’m too old to deal with it—though I’ll surely be called to again—and I hope your situation goes as well as it can.

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
I can sympathise, @Kandinskyesque

My youngest brother (he's 12 years younger than me) has a long-standing drink problem.

I've not had any meaningful contact with him for a long time. The last time we spoke on the phone was when our other brother died (and youngest had managed to get himself thrown out of the hospice for being a dick while visiting!)

And, as our father used to say, 'he can't keep it in his trousers...' so I have a few nephews/nieces around, only one of which I've ever met.

I heard he recently got married again, but now I hear it's divorce time already. This isn't the first time that scenario has played out either.

He's my baby brother, but I feel I've never really known him - my mother for some reason thinks he can do no wrong. I'm honestly past caring now, as is my sister.

Families, eh? How much room is there on that ferry?

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
He got delayed for 36 hours in NYC so he was properly 'pickled' when he arrived and I'll be surprised to see him anything less than 'paralytic' while he's here.
(Background: in Scotland we have more words for drunk than the Innuit have for snow).

These lines made me laugh pretty damn hard.

I'm sorry about your brother. I have a sister I haven't spoken to in over a decade, so I can relate.

BTW, I could easily be wrong, but it seems to me like there are lots of Scots with Aussie family and vice versa. Is that a thing? Are lots of Aussies from a Scottish lineage?

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
BTW, I could easily be wrong, but it seems to me like there are lots of Scots with Aussie family and vice versa. Is that a thing? Are lots of Aussies from a Scottish lineage?
You'd be right ... lots of them.

Since long before ww2 most people came here from the UK... some in chains others as soldiers/businessmen/farmers/settlers/clerics, etc.

Tonetele

Doctor of Teleocity
I hate "bad drunks" , you've got to catch this fella when he's sober (if possible) and have a chat. Be careful, go gently.
It's hard telling a bad drunk what an a...hole he can be.
When I drink I look for the nearest couch and fall asleep.