Rant. Door Dings, what's with people these days?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Boil, Sep 15, 2020 at 3:02 PM.

Door Dings - How do you park?

1. I park anywhere I can, I don't worry about them at all.

2. I park as far away from other vehicles as possible.

3. I take my friends car.

4. I park right up against that car over there that doesn't have any dents in it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

What gets me is why car manufacturers quit putting side moldings on the doors?? Aesthetics be damned -- they at least provide some protection. They are available as an accessory, but not inexpensive (although much less than a ding repair!)

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

I think I've had about 3 people smash into my plastic rear bumper and metal fenders in the past few years - all at work. Obviously somebody with a white car. My car ain't nothing special to look at, but it you bust my tail-lamp, your should at least let me know and offer to buy me a new one!

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It can be a pisser, but really, it's the maker's fault. They abandoned side strips that served that purpose... to eliminate dings. They probably figure you'll get tired of your old car and buy a new one faster if the sides are all beat up.
    Cars should be built for practicality first, aesthetics second.

I swear, if someone would just come up with a simple, rugged, common sense car with an engine that YOU can work on, and ONLY make that car they'd be billionaires.

Speaking of door dings, I had a classic 64 Mercury hardtop, original paint and perfect body. I lived where you parked in a parking lot then. Some yahoo with a big delivery truck speared the front fender leaving a perfect shaped hitch tongue hole right there in the fender about 2 feet up!

Bob M, nojazzhere and DavidP like this.
  4. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I have a '98 CRV. The last couple of times folks dented it I've taken the insurance money. Getting it fixed is kind of ridiculous. I've pocketed over $2K IIRC.

drf64 likes this.
  5. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Afflicted

The lack of care and responsibilty is what will have us all on camera all the time.

Hopefully there will be insurance discounts for the better people and the poo bags will finally be paying for their carelessness.

Come on Big Brother, -I mean Alexa.

6. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I try to have a few vacant parking spaces between me and the closest vehicles on either side of me; otherwise, I try to park next to other, well- maintained vehicles. :cool:

7. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

I don't care about dings. I buy cars with dings. I buy old cars with my walking around pocket money, drive them for 2 years, scrap them, and repeat. If my car dies I have the peace of mind to know that I can always pay cash for another dinged up car. It gives me one less thing to worry about.

8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Seriously? I add a few most gigs... flight case and guitar case corners, swinging XLRs, ladies underwired bras thrown as I drive past...

9. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

+1 I thought I was being so clever!

I guess great minds think alike, or the jokes are getting a little old...

Theorage and suave eddie like this.
  10. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

You must be very very good. ;)

11. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I tend to park at the back of the parking lot, I don't mind walking, but if I do part closer I try to avoid parking next to beaters. Park next to a car that you know they're going to be careful. Also try to make sure I'm well centered in the spot, and if the car on either side is crooked I'll go park somewhere else.

12. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Believe it or not it might be because it creates drag and reduces mileage. Someone told me that's why they stop putting roof gutters on trucks.

13. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I am still struggling to believe that this happens in BC! I keep hearing how BC is highly evolved and they are like the example us and a should follow! To think this happens there makes me think... oh wait, the closest thing that would seem like thinking for someone in the lower 48...

I drive a pickup and park in whatever spot is open. I dont hit other cars, my truck has some dings, but it is for work not 'date night' so I don't sweat it.

drf64 likes this.
  14. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My father in law was responsible for more dings, dents, and paint exchanges than you can imagine. He weighed somewhere north of 300 and drove a Buick Park Avenue. He couldn’t get in or out of the car unless the door was wide open, and open it wide he did. He lost a door opening it into the path of an oncoming bus. He forgot the passenger side door was open and backed it into a tree trying to get out of a parking space. He parallel parked by touch. The paint was gone from all four corners. This was while he was in his 60’s. He drove into his 80’s. His last car was a Honda Accord which he backed into his grandson’s car backing out of his son’s driveway. Some accidents like door dings happen. Others are accidents waiting to happen.

PacificChris likes this.
  15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I've pretty much given up and chose I park anywhere I can from the list. No matter where I park, or how far I walk, when I get back there are always two Suburbans parked on either side of me with blacked out windows. When I inch my way out of the parking space, I expect to be broadsided at any moment by a guy using the parking lot as a shortcut to the next four lane. Since I have an artificial hip, I have a disabled sticker, but those handicap spaces are usually full anyway by guys going to the gym. When I do get to use one, I generally pitch a tent, setup my barbecue, and stay a few days. I live in California so using the rest room is absolutely no problem for a parking lot dweller.

naneek likes this.
  16. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

I know! This is BC, those things just don't happen here.

getbent likes this.
  17. stonetone7

stonetone7 Tele-Meister

One time I watched some little dude open his door into my car’s passenger side while I was sitting in it.

This was years ago. I would probably react with more circumspection nowadays.

getbent likes this.
  18. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

My first new car was a 1990 Integra. I found a little hairline crack in the spoiler and took it to the dealer to have it replaced. Afterwards, I stopped by the mall in my perfect car to get some guitar strings. When I came out there was a huge door ding. I saw it from 80' away.

19. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

parking lots have gotten smaller- granted most cars have too. I don't care about small dents and would never even notice them. Of course I don't think anyone does this on purpose. The problem is big cars or trucks etc in small parking lots

P Thought likes this.
  20. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

Less of a temptation to thieves too - no cover from adjacent cars while they try the doors, etc.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.