Rant - Bottled water

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

I buy a 24 pack of 16.9 oz. water bottles, whatever's cheapest, freeze several, and let them thaw slightly and drink them, and continue to freeze more bottles as room becomes available in the freezer.

Afterwards, I wash the bottles thoroughly with hot water. I then boil some tap water in a kettle on the stove, and hours later, after the boliled water has cooled enough not to shrink the bottles, I pour the water into bottles. A nearly full kettle will yield three bottles. I again put bottles in the freezer. This is an ongoing process with which I am involved daily.

Each day before I leave the shack, I take three bottles of frozen water out of the freezer, place them in a small Igloo cooler which lives in my car, and after some thawing, I have cold water all day long, regardless of where I'm at. For summer time, and for longer excursions away from the house, I have a bigger cooler that's used as needed.

After several washes and re-uses with boiled water, the bottles eventually become distorted, and I will buy another 24 pack, but not for quite some time.

I have been doing this for years. Other than an occasional splurge for a ginger ale, water and coffee are just about all I drink. I am rarely without several frozen bottles of water, anywhere, anytime, ever.

2. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

We have relatives in Winnipeg, and the water there is apparently quite corrosive, so a softening agent is added to the water. The water out of the tap, therefore, tastes terrible. I'm used to the clean, perfect water here in Vancouver, and I cannot drink the tap water in Winnipeg whenever we visit.
    I just drink beer.

3. db2112

db2112 TDPRI Member

Heck yeah, thats the smart way to do it, when I was in NYC last summer I could buy water for a dollar from a "dude with a cooler" or pay $3 from vendor. I bought the cheap stuff

4. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

5. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Afflicted

In Saskatchewan the joke has always been Flush twice (the next town down the line needs the water.

For example North Battleford and Prince Albert are both on the North Saskatchewan . P.A. being
    down stream.North Battleford said flush twice P A needs the water. One year people in North Battleford started getting sick. It was traced to fecal matter in the drinking water. Investigations revealed the water intake was down stream from the sewer outleto_O.Most of the town still uses bottled water.

uriah1 likes this.
  6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I drank a bottle of water as I left the golf course today, it tasted good, and I was glad to have it. I did not feel guilty about harming the environment, nor did I long for the 50 cents or so that it cost me. I enjoyed drinking water that I THOUGHT tasted good, so it did taste good, mmm, mmm, good.

7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I work in a lot of homes and am always stunned to see cases and cases of bottled water in daily use (meaning, not on hand for emergencies).

The reusable bottles are so cheap and tuff I would only blame you for not using w/ your own tap water if your tap water sucks.

Our water always rates highly so that's what I use. It's not cheap, hence Flint "experts" looking for another cheaper source.

We know how that turned out...

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

This absolutely floors me. I'll refrain from commenting.

9. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Too late.

10. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I hope you dont give them very much , you have a shortage down there, some how they have to make sure the orchards get enough to keep the trees growing.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. blkpwdr

blkpwdr Tele-Meister

They tell us the tap water here in Los Angeles is safe to drink,but the water will kill a gold fish in a few minutes, I don't trust them,*#%&ING gov't

Toto'sDad likes this.
  12. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I recently saw a news report that said EPA test showed all LA water sources had prescription drugs at higher PPM than acceptable. The highest were hydrocodone, blood pressure meds, and estrogen. The estrogen levels are actually causing small male fish to develop eggs.

Here is a story from 3 years ago, and it's worse now.
    https://newrepublic.com/article/115883/drugs-drinking-water-new-epa-study-finds-more-we-knew

13. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I run my water through a distiller, and you would not believe the nastiness I pull out of just 1 gallon of OC tap water.

mabley123 likes this.
  14. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

Bottled water? I buy it, but it miraculously turns to wine the instant I open it.

Has anyone seen my Sandals?

uriah1, LeftFinger and 24 track like this.
  15. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

My Urologist told me not to drink tap water... even though I haven't used/drank tap water since 1978.

The chlorine in Tap is an Irritant.

I drink only Distilled, or Reverse Osmosis, with carbon/charcoal filtering, and UV/Ozonaztion to kill bacteria.

I pay 30c a gallon at Krogers out of their Reverse Osmosis Machine. Bring your own container.

I use glass and plastic. I buy Milk in Glass containers, and then use the milk containers.

If I want durable, I use plastic. Ive never bought the small bottles.

You can also reuse the small bottles, but they are very hard to clean, and 100% eliminate the bacteria. The key is getting the Neck Stem Clean.

16. 24 track

In Biggar Sask we ordered a glass of water it was blue, the color of the old coke bottles, we spilled some on the table , the waitress cleaned it up with a magnet

17. 24 track

Vancouver water is great tasting right out of the tap, and you dont have to let it run for ten minutes to get the sludge out of the iine first.

In Kamloops the tap water is fine, but as a pre caution I fill a 4 liter plastic jug and keep it in the fridge to declorinate it first

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

It's been a long time since we had an aquarium, but it seems to me you had to condition the water in a tank before you put fish into it. I think you have to build and environment they can survive in. Maybe golf fish are different but the fish we kept needed a lot of pampering to keep 'em going. If they got excited and jumped out of the tank (it happens) when we were away from home, well not much you can do about that.

19. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

The first house we lived in, when my mother was pregnant with my older brother and me had a high natural fluoride content. I was born and already had a couple teeth coming in, my wisdom teeth were fully erupted when I was 13 and all the way in by 14 (before high school).

Brother had some serious dark stains (in the enamel) on his teeth, got porcelain caps in high school. Mine had white spots on them, not as obvious, and instead off doing caps our dentist at the time said he could polish them out. He ended up having to grind off more than half the enamel on my front teeth to get down to where the spots weren't so noticeable.

I've since then had to have the spaces between those teeth filled a couple times, and a different dentist commented on how thin my enamel was on those teeth. I told him what the previous dentist had done, and he shook his head, said he wouldn't have gone that route.

Had well water until we moved here, and I prefer the well water we had over the over chlorinated processed municipal waters I've had to live with.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.