Rank these affordable, light weight amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tferrell, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

What's involved in making these tweaks to a SF Champ? the tone stack only?
    I don't want to mess up my Champ, so I'd have a proper tech do them.

what should the instructions on the To Do list read?

2. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Gerald Weber explains how he does it in one of his books. I don't recommend doin' it the way he does it. You end up with a half gutted obviously modded amp.

3. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks, but that doesn't sound too promising, haha. I guess I prefer to read up here.

Do I tell the tech to just install a switch that lifts the tone stack on the SF Champ to get close to a tweed sound?

what is a good way to fix this, if it occurs?

4. muchxs

Yup. That'll do it.

I use a replacement transformer that supplies more current, less voltage. Even though the stock transformer supplies enough current "on paper"... they tend to run hot in some amps. I've replaced a lot of them starting in the '70s when these amps were new or nearly so... through the present when they're not so new.

I've done a bunch of these where I've upgraded both transformers, added the switchable tweed voice and packaged the finished chassis in a custom cabinet with a 10" or a 12" speaker. The difficulty is stock amps tend to hold their resale value while modified amps are worth less. That's due to the proliferation of intrusive and poorly executed modifications.

5. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

I once played a Crate Vintage Club 20 that was surprisingly gratifying for $250 used.
    The tone was a little raw and boxy, but a hemp speaker and and carefully placed resistor or two could make it a real citizen.

6. muchxs

"johnnylaw followed me up the road then he pulled off and he let me go." :D

@ 4:11

7. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

I use a Blues Jr ... I lke it a lot, but these days I have been using an Ampeg GVT15 112 (with a Canibis Rex speaker). If you like the 6V6 sound and you can find one of these things I say go for it. They can be had for around 3 bills the last I checked .. In fact I own two of them.

8. Sideways Jaye

Sideways Jaye Tele-Meister

I quoted the OP because I think a lot of the responses here aren't really addressing him. I would recommend the Super Champ XD. I don't understand the bias against the modeling preamp - in my opinion it's terrific in the Super Champ, and it gives you a much more flexible amp.

My main effects are also compressor > tube screamer and they work very well with the SCXD. I have also played many gigs with just a cord into the amp.

The #1 voice on Channel 2, clean tweed is my favorite and has great character.

9. cynic79

cynic79 Tele-Meister

I used to have a Fender Vibro Champ XD, and I thought it sounded quite good. I know some folks who swore by the old Super Champ XD, although I can't speak for the new line.

If you can find one, the Ampeg J-20 may be worth a look. It's got a warm Fender-y sound (the circuit is apparently based on the brownface Deluxe, and it has an alnico speaker), takes pedals well, and it's pretty lightweight for its size. They seem to go for between $300-400.

10. Riffraff12571

Riffraff12571 Tele-Holic

I agree 100%. I recently picked up a used Delta Blues 115. I love the amp but it weighs 50+lbs and it's all because of the particle board cab. I'm sure a pine cab would cut that weight in half. It sounds like a nice fall woodshop project for me. ;)

11. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

12. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

I have to go with the Pro Jr. I use mine for everything, Jazz, Blues, Country and Rock. Only thing I did was replace the speaker with a Jensen MOD 10-35, because the original speaker had been distroyed by the original owner. It will keep up with a Classic 30 in a small bar and sound better cranked a little past half way. It's not my favorite amp that would be my '83 Super Champ but the little Pro Jr. just has better tone for small gigs and won't bust you wallet.

13. Jiverson

Jiverson TDPRI Member

Unless I missed the part that says it needs to be a tube amp, I'd track down a Vox Pathfinder 15r. I was on the fence because I only play tube amps, but I couldn't argue with the reviews, the pricetag and the size/weight.

Don't discount it until you've read some things people have to say about it. If you like your ac15, you'll like this guy a lot (all things considered). I actually play my 15r more than my ac15 these days. And yes, I have no problems practicing and gigging with it mic'd up.

-Josh

14. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Ibanez TS15. A 6v6 amp ...Amazing little amp and should be cheap as chips second hand. I tend to leave the boost switch on for my own taste...

I tried the BJr and don't like the boxy, rough/raw sound.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.