Randy Stodola's 1968 Telecaster

naneek

Tele-Holic
Why in the world would anyone do that to a guitar? Really?
why would they use it and love it and gig it for many years? gosh I don't know!

really though, it's not like this is a reliced guitar that somebody deliberately modified to look like this. It was gigged in a punk act for many years and this is the result of that use.

zumajim

TDPRI Member
I'm going to see the Alley Cats in San Pedro in a few weeks. I'll try to get a report on Randy and that guitar for y'all...
So I ended up missing the gig at the last minute, but a friend went and verified that Randy is still alive and rocking, and his glorious Tele is still in action. Apologies for the blurry pic.

Attachments

• randy_stodola1.jpg
    randy_stodola1.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 156

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
That is probably the only guitar that Randy owns. What else would he use? Based on the condition of that amp, I doubt that the funds are rolling in if you get my drift. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

tintag27

Friend of Leo's
I used to have a Peavey Bandit 65, if it fell out of a van the road would come off worse!
My favourite amp in the 70's really did fall out of a van...
Being small, my Wem ER40 was packed last in our van when we hit a pothole on a London street at some speed. The back doors flew open and I turned round to see it bouncing along the tarmac...
I can testify that in my case the road did NOT come off worse... 'sigh'

Wheelhouse

Tele-Holic
That guitar testifies to a hard life. The Alley Cats made it five years, then the same musicians rebranded for another five years, then it was all up. But Randy still has the same guitar! The miles, the gigs on that axe... It sure doesn't look like it was babied at all, that guitar was used hard. Hats off to an old punk still slinging tunes in clubs a lifetime later.

janman

TDPRI Member
I first saw the Alleycats at the Hong Kong Cafe in Los Angeles in 1978. Randy’s tone was unique from most other “punk” bands because it had drive without excessive distortion.

TheZ

Tele-Holic
I’ve managed to find some more photos of Randy’s Telecaster that are much clearer. Any experts might be able to set me straight but if I’m not mistaken, the serial number it has on the neck plate is from late 1965. And with the clearer photos, I can see that it has threaded steel saddles which would have been stock for that year. But the neck, with the "F" tuners, CBS logo, and laminated maple board, adds to the mystery. Perhaps someone put a new neck on it for some reason in the late 60s - did Fender sell replacement necks back then? Regardless, it's still an amazing guitar.

Check out the photos toward the bottom of this page, besides the detail shots there are some great ones of it in action: https://alleycatslosangeles.com/photos-by-dirk-vandenberg/

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Just wanted to do an appreciation post of sorts for this guitar. I doubt many guitars have been through the wringer like this one has, owned by Randy Stodola of the Alley Cats. One of the best sounding Teles I've ever heard. I'm attaching a few pictures of its recent condition as well as one taken from a live show in the late 1970s when it still had most of its finish. Date-wise I'm guessing it's a '68 based on the laminated maple board, CBS logo, hardware, and finish, but I could be wrong. I believe he bought it in the early 1970s and it was "already old" by then, so must have been used hard from the get-go.

View attachment 1074863 View attachment 1074864 View attachment 1074865

Wow look at that Peavey - are they making relicked amps now!?

I used to have a Peavey Bandit 65, if it fell out of a van the road would come off worse!

That amp needs a GoFundMe page.
I'm impressed by the guitar, but even more impressed by that amp. Talk about being through the ringer! Peaveys are the bomb.💣

Stratocast

Tele-Holic
Just wanted to do an appreciation post of sorts for this guitar. I doubt many guitars have been through the wringer like this one has, owned by Randy Stodola of the Alley Cats. One of the best sounding Teles I've ever heard. I'm attaching a few pictures of its recent condition as well as one taken from a live show in the late 1970s when it still had most of its finish. Date-wise I'm guessing it's a '68 based on the laminated maple board, CBS logo, hardware, and finish, but I could be wrong. I believe he bought it in the early 1970s and it was "already old" by then, so must have been used hard from the get-go.

View attachment 1074863 View attachment 1074864 View attachment 1074865
nice guitar... but I have to admit.... I am sorry I have never heard of that band until now.... is this guitar famous.. or the guy who owned it someone I should know?... nice guitar though.. it would still be a nice looking guitar if I had been playing it for 50 years in my bands as well....but I can understand cuz no one in the continental U.S. knows of me either...

TheZ

Tele-Holic
nice guitar... but I have to admit.... I am sorry I have never heard of that band until now.... is this guitar famous.. or the guy who owned it someone I should know?... nice guitar though.. it would still be a nice looking guitar if I had been playing it for 50 years in my bands as well....but I can understand cuz no one in the continental U.S. knows of me either...

If you were/are a fan of punk music and specifically the scene in Los Angeles, then definitely yes to all your questions!

Stratocast

Tele-Holic
If you were/are a fan of punk music and specifically the scene in Los Angeles, then definitely yes to all your questions!
Oh. I only dream of living close to the coast one day. As it is I’m stuck in the middle of the U.S. not a large body of water within miles. I think most of the people I know have never even seen a surfboard in real life. L.A. ? Is traffic there really as bad as everyone says.? What are palm trees like up close ? Can one grab coconuts from the trees growing there ? Or do many fall on the ground ? Are there a lot of movie stars driving on the streets ? Have you ever happened to see Clint Eastwood driving around there.?

TheZ

Tele-Holic
Oh. I only dream of living close to the coast one day. As it is I’m stuck in the middle of the U.S. not a large body of water within miles. I think most of the people I know have never even seen a surfboard in real life. L.A. ? Is traffic there really as bad as everyone says.? What are palm trees like up close ? Can one grab coconuts from the trees growing there ? Or do many fall on the ground ? Are there a lot of movie stars driving on the streets ? Have you ever happened to see Clint Eastwood driving around there.?

Hey, don't go knocking your home state too much! Nebraska is a neat place, I've enjoyed my visits there.

Anyway, back to discussing Telecasters on the internet...

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
What can I say, I was born in the heart of Hollyweird in 1951. LA was a nice place back then. If I were to visit there now for the first time, I would be extremely disappointed. I started noticing it going downhill in the mid 1970s, when I decided to move further north. When I visit there now (my kids live there) it's like I never lived there. The homeless situation is out of control, and it is so congested that I can't wait to get out of there. It's like hell to me now.

Believe it or not, as long as I lived there, I didn't see many movie stars floating around. A few here and there, but not on a daily basis that's for sure. LA in the 1960s was a lot of fun, but not that much happening now except crime. Sad but true!

Stratocast

Tele-Holic
What can I say, I was born in the heart of Hollyweird in 1951. LA was a nice place back then. If I were to visit there now for the first time, I would be extremely disappointed. I started noticing it going downhill in the mid 1970s, when I decided to move further north. When I visit there now (my kids live there) it's like I never lived there. The homeless situation is out of control, and it is so congested that I can't wait to get out of there. It's like hell to me now.

Believe it or not, as long as I lived there, I didn't see many movie stars floating around. A few here and there, but not on a daily basis that's for sure. LA in the 1960s was a lot of fun, but not that much happening now except crime. Sad but true!
I heard that there are a lot of homeless people sleeping in the walk ways.. and streets of San Francisco due to the housing situation and economy..... and I don't know how true it is.. but people just leave their excrements outside there ...as well... if that is true.. then No ......I would Not want to probably go there.....