Random Etsy/Ebay/Reverb bodies?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by alex1fly, May 25, 2021.

1. alex1fly

alex1fly Tele-Meister

There are some really cool Tele bodies on the sites in the title - Etsy, Reverb, Ebay. Beautiful grains, interesting woods. Anybody had success working with these, fitting them to a Fender neck, etc? It's hard to know how much extra work they're going to need to make a good instrument.

2. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

I just finished my first partscaster with one from the seller "Whaguitars" on eBay. It's made of five glued up pieces of reclaimed cedar. It went together like a dream, and I paid $80 shipped. Dig through my threads if you want to see pics of it.

I did have to slightly deepen the control cavity, but there were zero issues with the neck pocket or any of the other cavities. If your skill level is low, look for bodies with as much of the drilling and routing done as possible.

TwoBear and TeleUpNorth like this.
  3. alex1fly

alex1fly Tele-Meister

This is me. I don't want to have to mess with that stuff too much. So Fender-licensed is a safer bet. But my eyeballs love what I see from some of these non-licensed independent outfits! It just seems like a gamble as to how much extra work you'll have to do to get it to work well.

Your build looks awesome. How'd you pick the vendor? And what do you mean by you didn't set the neck? Do you know if whoever did set the neck had to do any tweaks - neck pocket sanding, shims, etc?

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/first...lete-ignore-the-crooked-thingamajigs.1071352/

_MementoMori_ likes this.
  4. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

eBay body here. Super resonant. Setup easy and plays great! BDB165CA-DAE7-49FE-AFF0-C0FD9A25C3D2.jpeg

MTPoteet, Fendereedo, Drak and 2 others like this.
  5. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

Thank you. I really didn't do anywhere near the research that I should have - I just liked the look of the body and specifically wanted something with a strongly contrasting center block. This one had this really rough board in the center that I thought would look awesome finished in a different color from the rest of the body.

By "I didn't set the neck," I just mean that I didn't clamp it and screw it into the neck pocket. That was the only part of the build that freaked me out because I splurged on a $410 neck for this build and I couldn't bear the thought of ruining it. I did sand the neck pocket to get a tight fit with the neck, but that is completely common and required on the majority of builds. No shims though.

TeleUpNorth likes this.
  6. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Waiting on an eBay double bound 3TSB on it's way from across the Pacific, I have a Mighty Mite neck hanging around that needs a body. When it arrives, probably mid-June or so, I'll post it up.

TeleUpNorth likes this.
  7. FuncleManson

FuncleManson TDPRI Member

I've bought two pine Tele bodies from Nomoonlaser on eBay. He does what he calls rustic barncaster bodies, which look to be two-piece pine. That's what I used for my Esquire. It turned out great.

20210222_160907.jpg 20210222_161515.jpg

I also bought one of his reclaimed barncaster bodies, which are several laminated pieces of 50+ year-old pine. He stains them in five or six different colors and gives them a light coat of nitro lacquer. He has detailed photos and descriptions of each body, including weights. They usually go for great prices on auction. I paid $69, including shipping, for the gold "rustic" and $85 for a blue "reclaimed."

He also does some reclaimed cedar Jazzmaster bodies. I would definitely recommend.

8. ponycar

ponycar TDPRI Member

Look at photos carefully. I bought a lightweight pine body intending to sand/ finish it on vacation. It did not have the bridge holes including string through, drilled. While that task is not beyond my skill set by any means I was unable to finish it on vacation and frankly wanted it done with a proper jig that matched the routing etc. I ended up just getting another lightweight pine so the first one is just sitting here "forcing"me to build another guitar in the future. Rats.

fattboyzz likes this.
  9. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

I've used cheap bodies from guitarsbydesign on Reverb and GFS with success. I wouldn't hesitate to try any dealer with good reviews. Making a useable guitar body is not rocket science, and at under $100 its worth taking a chance. In fact, I looked at Ebay because of this thread, and I've always wanted an offset Tele . . . .

TeleUpNorth likes this.
  10. Rhomco

Rhomco Friend of Leo's

Ebay, Reverb etc do not make anything. The bodies you are asking about are made by anyone selling on those sites. They could be great or awful. The only thing they have in common is a low price. Roll the dice you might get lucky or loose your shirt.
    Good luck on your project,
    Rob

11. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The $39 shipped Thinline type body (Muslady TL-F) I bought via WalMart isn't bad for that $. The flame top is likely photo flame, which doesn't matter for tone.
    I highly recommend you get one with the string through holes already done though, (if you intend to do that way) they can be difficult to get to come out evenly spaced and aligned.... even with a drill press.

In the end, I think you might be better off buying a complete $130-$150 guitar brand with a good rep like an SX or etc. for the body.. They are finished and you can always dump the neck if you dont like it for a few bucks... But everyone wants to do something custom... so uless you find one with the finish you intend....

The blonde Tele I bought For $79 is actually pretty darn good. I put better pickups in it. It's very playable.

12. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

I will second that recommendation. The guy is only about 40 minutes from me and I have used his bodies before with great success. His prices will not stay so low for long....quality work that is worth grabbing while you can.

beyer160 and natec like this.
  13. natec

natec Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sorry double post.

14. natec

natec Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

One more vote for nomoonlaser.

Used a couple of his before I started making my own - I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Milspec likes this.
  15. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

I bought a body on eBay from Supratone. Went together pretty smoothly.

16. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Another happy Nomoonlaser customer here.

vTlWG8nRTWKnL4jCaPvwqQ_thumb_dbd.jpg

17. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

Anyone ever buy a body from xujuanzi711187_5 on ebay? They look good but I'm worried the finish might be thick.

TeleUpNorth likes this.
  18. soddruntlestuntle

soddruntlestuntle TDPRI Member

The body on my partscaster came from an eBay/Reverb dealer called hummingbirdmusic 3. My AllParts neck fit perfectly; the fit and finish is excellent for a sub-$200.00 body.

Attached Files:

19. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

Bought mine from the seller. It’s like a 70’s Fender finish in terms of thickness. It resonates superbly when played unplugged and sounds great with the Bootstraps I put in. Mine is a purple sparkle Thinline style.

heffus likes this.
  20. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

I picked up a reclaimed redwood body from a maker up in Canada named Nieman guitars. He and I have become friends via our similar tastes in guitars and he has made me a couple other bodies now. I actually had MJT finish the redwood body for me and it turned out great. Then I built a monster out of it…

upload_2021-6-7_20-49-48.jpeg
    upload_2021-6-7_20-50-33.jpeg

Mikev7305, Jake909, fattboyzz and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.