Raised prices on Reverb today.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by schmee, Jul 31, 2020 at 1:06 PM.

1. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Reverb is still the best. Much better protection for buyers and sellers. Part of what they’re investing these additional fees into is to improve traffic and advertising. They were pretty transparent about this. The mandated tax policy changes a while back made a much bigger difference, but they survived that too

2. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I ordered a fancy strap today...probably the last item for a while since we are into house upgrades and a potential move (across town). I've had what I thought the occasional good deal on Reverb, but nothing to great enough to write accolades. The big thing for me was the large/varied selection.

3. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve been ripped off by sellers misrepresenting items on Reverb three from a total of around a dozen transactions. That’s a 25% failure rate.

I’ve been ripped off once on eBay, by a buyer claiming an item I sold was poorly packed and damaged in transit. That’s from hundreds of transactions.

It’s anecdotal, but true nonetheless. So, I have no use for Reverb. I hope they shoot themselves in the foot and slowly bleed to death.

Nah, I’m not bitter. What gave you that idea?

goonie and JJLC like this.
  4. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

The record should be set straight:

1) As of the price raise, Reverb will charge 5% of the sale price--plus the seller will lose on the paypal fee.

2) eBay USA charges an extortionate 10% on the final sale price EXCEPT (as of right now) for the catagory "Electric Guitars and Basses" for which the charge is 3.5% (in all instances plus paypal fee).

The 3.5% special fee was obviously to compete with Reverb.com (which proves why true competition is always good for the consumer). It won't surprise if eBay USA moves its final value fee on "electric guitars and basses" up to 5% in kind.

One thing that slightly bothers me about Reverb is the claim that this is the first time they have ever raised their fee. I somewhat clearly remember it was 3% for a time when the site first launched.

Henley and JJLC like this.
  5. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

Good for you OP. Reverb is where I sell HIGH. I buy LOW elsewhere. It's a nice system.

6. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I haven’t used EBay at all since reverb came around. Haven’t even looked at anything there. Although to be fair, I don’t buy much from reverb unless I can’t find it elsewhere. Prices just generally seem higher for everything. I can’t even count the number of times I’ve looked at used stuff there, and thought “well that’s kinda high...” then seen the shipping charge and thought “well now it’s more than a new one. Guess I’ll call Sweetwater.”

JJLC likes this.
  7. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Meister

I raised my prices slightly and forgot about it. I always factor in my cost, shipping when I bought it plus sellers fees.

8. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Meister

Sorry to hear you have had some unfortunate transactions; that does happen & IMO it is NOT cool.

If I may offer a small piece of advice: Please, always check the sellers' feedback for selling, when you consider a purchase. If you have doubts about their feedback, ask them a question(s) about it.

For me personally, I always want every buyer to be completely happy with a purchase, from before a purchase, up to the time they get the item they purchased in their hands, and actually have the opportunity to assess the item in person.

Any 'good' seller that is not attempting to scam a buyer should be willing to answer any & all questions, including questions concerning a sellers' feedback.

That's just me. I LIKE a happy buyer. :D I value my good feedback like gold & I go out of my way to provide excellent customer service, at every step of every transaction, from item description, to shipment.
    If you aren't getting that, then you are dealing with the wrong seller(s).

soulgeezer likes this.
  9. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Meister

Great post. When I list items, some times I list with a 'Make An Offer' & then some times I don't.
    It depends on the item. Even with items I don't post the 'Make An Offer' feature, I will still consider offers.
    For me, it's a marketing thing. I will consider any & all offers; doesn't mean I accept every offer.
    If you see an item that you really WANT & it doesn't have the 'Make An Offer' posted, contact the seller & check with the seller any way. They may be willing to negotiate. ;)

I negotiate pretty much every sell; that's just the way it is. :cool:

Jakedog likes this.
  10. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Beginning on August 4, 2020, Reverb is increasing its selling fee for the first time ever⁠— from 3.5 % to 5%.

11. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

I used Reverb for the first time recently and got an excellent deal on my new guitar. But it was a "local pickup only" situation, so it seems likely that Reverb did not get a cut of the action.

goonie and JJLC like this.
  12. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Meister

If the transaction was finalized on the Reverb platform then Reverb got their 'seller fee' % cut.
    Reverb is like eVilbay; they get a percentage% of the shipping charge too.
    If there was no shipping charge, and you did the local pickup, then they didn't get any% for that.

13. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That makes sense. I’m just lazy anymore. I don’t wanna fight for anything. I just wanna find what I want for a fair price (I don’t even care if it’s a smoking deal, I have no problem with people making money, I just want fair), buy it, and be done. I don’t wanna email back and forth. I don’t wanna have a conversation. I just wanna get my thing, whatever it is, and be left alone. Lol.

Same deal when I used to buy on eBay. I can’t be bothered with auctions. At all. If it had a “buy it now” option and the price was fair. I’d buy it. If not, I guess it’s there for somebody else.

To me the whole idea of shopping online is that I don’t have to deal with anybody.

14. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

I will still buy used stuff from Reverb but I’ll likely stop selling. They made it more difficult to get payment after selling and now we have the 5% fee. No thanks. I used to buy stuff like strings and parts on Reverb, but I find that buying direct from an online music store or even eBay is less expensive now. For example, I buy all my parts for my pedal projects from the Smallbear Electronics online store - great service and very fair prices.

Time will tell if Reverb (Etsy) in fact invests in helping sellers and improving their website...

15. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

I won't stop selling (or buying) on Reverb because of the increase. It's just part of the cost of doing business. I price an item to net what I need to net, and that will be a few bucks more now. Not a big deal to me.

16. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

I've never had a problem with face to face meetings on CL. OTOH, Texas is a licensed carry state, and I do. Tell those I'm meeting about it, never had a problem.

17. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Ya it's no big deal. Reverb is great!

I'm able to buy all the pedals I could possibly like. Sell the ones that don't work out. All so easy. Just the cost of shipping basically, if you're prudent.

18. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

That makes sense, what I can't get over is that people buy guitars they haven't played. Showing my age there I guess.

19. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Ya that seems risky.

20. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

I'll stay with Reverb and eBay as I won't get the hassle of time-wasters on Gumtree or Schpock. I've just pulled a couple of amp adverts because of stupid lowball offers when I specified they were fixed price and others asking me to hold them until they got paid. One goon changed a viewing appointment at the last minute and said he'd definitely turn up the following day to buy an Orange Crush but never showed. Any advert responses sent over weekends or late at night have almost always been from drunken smart-asses with no intention of buying.

At least Reverb and eBay sales are pretty much guaranteed once the Buy button is pressed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.