Raised prices on Reverb today.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Reverb's fees go up now. I only have a couple things on therenow, but raised my prices and won't be likely putting any more things on the site. I find things sell more often on Ebay anyway, about 2-3 times more often when listed both places.
It's not a huge thing but more the principle.

JJLC

Tele-Holic
Reverb seller fee increases 1.5% on Tuesday, August 4 @ 10 AM CST.
This is the first & only seller fee increase in the history of Reverb.
I sell on Reverb and 1.5% is not a huge deal, IMO. That amounts to $15 on a $1K item.
Add up the (newer) 5% seller fee & the 2.5% payment processing fee; that totals 7.5%
On eBay it is double that.
I sold on eBay for nearly two decades & it was a PITA for the last few years.
I really like the Reverb platform a lot & saving half of what it co$t$ on eBay is a bonus for a platform that gets traffic.

Last edited:

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's
Reverb's seller fees are still less than Ebay aren't they? I have some stuff I may be putting up for sale in the next 6 months and between Ebay and Reverb, I would still list on Reverb first if I can save a few bucks.

JJLC

Tele-Holic
With eBay, your ads get higher visibility and now with the lowest gear listing fees...

the last time I sold on eBay was a good four to five years ago.
Seller fee was 10% & PayPal fee was 4% = 14%

Are you implying eBay has become soft hearted & can save me ca$h by undercutting Reverbs' current 6% total rate, or even Reverbs' newer 7.5% total rate, starting next Tuesday?

That would be like locating a proverbial unicorn ..............

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
Yeah, let’s rebel and go back to the days where you had to place an ad in the local paper and had a bunch of weirdos and freaks coming to your home to check out your house while low-balling you on the guitar they weren’t gonna buy anyway.

(Note sarcasm font^)

It’s still cheaper than eBay and I’ve had them back me up on issues with purchasing/bad buyers.

JJLC

Tele-Holic
@ Fiesta Red: 110% agree :D

One item I really like about Reverb feedback is the 1 to 5 star rating system. This allows both transaction parties to tailor aka customize the feedback they offer to a more precise level, if they choose to do so.
eVilbay doesn't have any comparable option. :rolleyes:

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Reverb's seller fees are still less than Ebay aren't they? I have some stuff I may be putting up for sale in the next 6 months and between Ebay and Reverb, I would still list on Reverb first if I can save a few bucks.
Nope.

JJLC

Tele-Holic
Pardon my ignorance :oops: but what was Reverb Bucks?
Maybe that was something they had before I started using the Reverb platform?

1300 E Valencia

Friend of Leo's
Wow, lots of information here. Few facts, however.

When Reverb.com started up, they were cheaper than eBay. So after a while, eBay reduced their fees on musical instruments (only) to be more competitive with Reverb.com.

Reverb.com and eBay now had equal fees. It’s been this way for the last few years.

Reverb.com used to be owned by, or at least affiliated with, Chicago Music Exchange, the same way Guitar Center and Musician’s Friend are one and the same company.

Now, Reverb.com has been bought by Etsy. Sold for a profit. It was expected that the new Reverb.com would eventually charge more for their services. That has occurred.

As of 7/31/20, eBay now has cheaper fees than Reverb.com.

JJLC

Tele-Holic
Wow, lots of information here. Few facts, however.

When Reverb.com started up, they were cheaper than eBay. So after a while, eBay reduced their fees on musical instruments (only) to be more competitive with Reverb.com.

Reverb.com and eBay now had equal fees. It’s been this way for the last few years.

Reverb.com used to be owned by, or at least affiliated with, Chicago Music Exchange, the same way Guitar Center and Musician’s Friend are one and the same company.

Now, Reverb.com has been bought by Etsy. Sold for a profit. It was expected that the new Reverb.com would eventually charge more for their services. That has occurred.

As of 7/31/20, eBay now has cheaper fees than Reverb.com.

So, I guess I need to go check eVilbay fees; never thought they would go from 14% total fees, and drop fees down to what you are implying. Seems counter intuitive buts Thanks .............

chet again

Friend of Leo's
Yeah, let’s rebel and go back to the days where you had to place an ad in the local paper and had a bunch of weirdos and freaks coming to your home to check out your house while low-balling you on the guitar they weren’t gonna buy anyway.

(Note sarcasm font^)

It’s still cheaper than eBay and I’ve had them back me up on issues with purchasing/bad buyers.
That's a description of Craigslist. I sold a digital recorder and had a NJ weirdo come to my house and told me "I know where you live".

thankyouguitar

Tele-Meister
That's a description of Craigslist. I sold a digital recorder and had a NJ weirdo come to my house and told me "I know where you live".

Friends, never meet a craigslist buyer at your house. Meet in a public location. And one that preferably has a lot of people at it. Like a grocery store parking lot. I believe that almost all people are good people. But almost all is not everybody!

FWIW, craigslist is my preferred selling venue. Or doing a weirdo trade at Music Go Round.

Catatafish

TDPRI Member
Oh geez.... a 1.5% increase, on just the seller's fees. And there's a thread about this?

There's about 4000 threads on various sites about this and all sorts of people "cancelling" to move on to even worst pastures.

I'm browsing stuff on Reverb in my other tab right now and will continue to go there despite my pedal now costing $203 instead of $200. I couldn't even tell you what my Ebay login was I haven't been there in so long.

All they need to do is add another 1.5%, it's the buyer that suffers but none of the buyers seem to care. I don't understand all this "principle" when we're talking about buying/selling which "It's just business Michael, never personal".