Radius of neck pocket corners and other questions

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by bolomule, Oct 16, 2019.

1. bolomule

bolomule TDPRI Member

What do you all use for the radius on the front and rear edges of the pocket? Revision E plan has the rear radius as 1/4" and the front radius as .18. Great plans btw...really grateful they are there. But the pocket is a little skewed...i.e. not square.

Instead of using it I'm planing on getting a Warmoth neck...I have all the dimensions except the radius.

2. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Holic

When routing the neck pocket for a tele style body and tele style neck, I use a 1/2" diameter bit which works out to a 1/4" radius for a perfect fit at the heel.

It's the standard for teles, and you're right, the T. Downs drawing is a great resource :).

Yes the pocket is a bit "skewed". Both the neck and the neck pocket are slightly narrower towards the end of the pocket and as you move away from the heel. The difference is very slight, but you know you have it right when the neck drops straight down into the pocket snugly.

g

bolomule likes this.
  3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I hand shape the pocket on most bodies I get with a block and sandpaper. They often are too tight at the rounded corner to take the neck.

2blue2 and bolomule like this.
  4. bolomule

bolomule TDPRI Member

Thanks guys...super helpful. I'll go with the 1/4" at heel and slightly larger 3/16" at front of of pocket and then just sand to match if needed.

5. bolomule

bolomule TDPRI Member

Okay next question. What thickness do you use between end of neck pocket the neck pickup cavity. Warmoth has it at 5/16 but the plans have it at .46. I'd guess the Warmoth route would make the pickup have a little more bass.

6. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I think you mean what distance between the neck pocket and the neck pup rout... Use your pickguard to make this determination.. not all are made to the same specs and that matters,, where the hole you mount the pickup in doesn't...

Most necks come with either a ⅜ or ½ radius.. I rout with a ½ inch diameter bit.. then "true it up with a Dremel if necessary...

rk

eallen, 2blue2 and bolomule like this.
  7. bolomule

bolomule TDPRI Member

Its a custom pickguard that I am drawing so I get to choose where I place the pickup. Guess I'm splitting hairs as its only about an 1/8". Where do you put your neck pickup?

8. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

typically the leading edge of the neck pickup is 1/2 inch away from the butt end of the neck... on a 21 fret neck,, on a 22 fret neck, you still use the butt end of the neck's heel, not the extended fingerboard..

r

bolomule likes this.
  9. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

There is no radius to the front of a neck pocket itself, just the back two corners. The body edge has a radius of about 1/8 to 3/16 around it( The exception to that would be the underside of the neck cavity area near where the metal plate would sit.) A 1/2" diameter router bit is used to make the neck pocket. I'd go with the Tdowns drawing and leave it at that. It works out well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.