1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

radius blocks...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by szechuanking, May 14, 2010.

1. szechuanking

szechuanking Tele-Holic

anybody have a process for making radius blocks. seems like a silly thing to spend money on with this heap of scrap i've got laying around.

2. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've found radius blocks are better than gym membership. Not being one for repetitive (and slightly inaccurate) and laborious tasks I found it better and easier to build a jig to radius the fretboard directly. The other advantage of this is if you abstract the radius from the tool you can use it for any radius.

I built one quite similar to this below, because the jig to make sanding blocks is just as much effort as the jig to radius fretboards. After routing the fretboard can be cleaned up with hand-held sandpaper - the trick is to do "meat removal" passes first, and then take another 1/32 off on the second runs.

3. szechuanking

szechuanking Tele-Holic

that looks like risky business.

4. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

On one of the 2010 contest builds, the guy made radius blocks by using the cardboard cement pillar forms they sell at HD or Lowes. He used the convex radius of the form to sand a concave radius into a block. He had a few other tricks too.

5. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Safer than using a table saw, for anything. That's very versatile, and simple, but that's me :)

Dave

6. NateM

NateM TDPRI Member

I made mine by setting a dowel in a flat piece of plywood and drilling holes the same size as the dowel in a 2x4. Then I clamped the piece of plywood to a bandsaw table and swung the 2x4 through the blade going from hole to hole. By drilling the holes the radius away from the blade that I wanted the block's radius to be I got a very accurate curve cut in the block. Then I glued the pieces of 2x4 together and that was what I used for radiusing my board.

If you go this way I would use a 3/4" inch blade in the bandsaw. I started with a 1/2" blade and got a lot of bend in the curve which ruined one block I made. The larger blade worked much better.

7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Mount a router to the end of a long board 18" or so. Measure from the center of cutter down the board the length of the radius you want..ie 11.75 inches. Drill a hole there ( 1/4). Place a 1/4 dowel pin in that hole. The pin is a pivot point. Get some material like plywood. Layout where you want to rout that arc and drill another 1/4 hole in the plywood to receive the pin. When the router is on, you sweep the router across the arc and the bit cuts into the plywood. If you did a complete circle you end up with a round table top. The scrap can be cut up and glued face to face to make a sanding radius block. This is how Norm Abrams makes a round table top on his show.
    Remember the cutter diameter needs to be considered as the outer diameter makes the sanding radius.

8. kec!

kec! Tele-Holic

9. Nick JD

How are you making the rest of the neck? It's probably the least-risky part of neck making ... not to mention it's also the most important part to do right - hence making a jig for it.

Hand held blocks to put radii into necks will not do a perfect job. You will probably be taking a lot more off your frets when you have to L&C the neck to compensate for the areas where you sanded more or less.

If I gave you a radiused neck and a flat sanding block ... do you think you could sand a flat radius into it? Perfectly flat? I couldn't...

10. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Hears a jig I built pretty self-explanatory. You have to make sure your stock fits snug but you can still feed it threw. Make the block a little longer than you want the last inch will need to be trimmed. I can change the pins for deferent radiuses the bit dept adjustment is your a fine adjustment. The router is mounting on a 6” metal track for steel studs. Anyway I found a use for the best router I’ve ever owned 1970 craftsman it’s jus plug and go but it goes .

Attached Files:

11. Nick JD

12. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

13. finntele1000

finntele1000 Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.