Radiohead Archive

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's
At the time it was released I thought Pablo Honey was just ok but showed promise. Almost 30 years later . . . I have the exact same opinion! PH isn't a bad album, but it's overshadowed by Radiohead's other albums for good reason.

Another band I love from the 90s, Blur, had a much worse debut album. Then and now, I find Leisure to be unlistenable dreck.

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's
Conversely, Ride were the ones who got me into shoegazey stuff in the first place!
I bought the Today Forever EP early 91 I think, and that was me hooked!
Happy days.

Smile (a comp of Ride's first two EPs) was nearly my personal soundtrack for 1990. Seeing Ride and Lush on their double billed tour was an early 90s highlight!

Double Stop

Tele-Holic
At the time it was released I thought Pablo Honey was just ok but showed promise. Almost 30 years later . . . I have the exact same opinion! PH isn't a bad album, but it's overshadowed by Radiohead's other albums for good reason.

Another band I love from the 90s, Blur, had a much worse debut album. Then and now, I find Leisure to be unlistenable dreck.

I think both Blur and Radiohead followed a similar trajectory with their first 2-3 albums where for me at least, they got more interesting. Both "Pablo Honey' and "Leisure" had their moments, though, but still sound like anomalies within each of their respective catalogs, IMHO. I like "Lurgee" off of Pablo Honey and maybe a few others, but it never really grabbed me. As for Blur and "Leisure", I still love "There's No Other Way", "She's So High" and "Sing" (which is still one of my favorite Blur songs and inexplicably left off the U.S. version of the album).

The difference between "Leisure" and the 1997 "Blur" album sound like two different bands entirely and similarly for Radiohead with the difference between "Pablo Honey" and "OK Computer".

I'm still a fan of both bands.

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
I think the interweb has something against Curve...

1652304167519.png

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
Dunno, I like Kid A and Amnesiac the best. Select stuff from OK computer or Hail to the Thief. I don’t think they hit their stride before OK computer. Something like Optimistic or In Limbo is like quintessential “only sounds like Radiohead” stuff to me.

But yeah, idk I think there was plenty of stuff in a close enough vein in the early 90s that outdid Pablo Honey or The Bends - offhand like early Lush, early Stereolab.

Last edited:

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
Is the Old 97's on that list? :)

At the moment... absolutely. They are my favourite band I've discovered during the last 10 or 15 years (I was late to the party, as they say) I don't really know what it is about them but I love them so much, incredibly easy to listen to and I really like Rhett's 'story telling' lyrics.

I probably listen to them almost every day or a few times a week at least. They are the default band for any car journeys, we usually have the whole discography on random play. 😁 ... they put me in a very happy place.

jman72

Friend of Leo's
Yeah I was 22 .... I'm always very nostalgic about the first half of the 90's ... it was such a great time.

I went to Reading Festival every year between 91 and 95 too, so I got to see so many amazing bands of the time. I saw Radiohead there in 93, they played after Swervedriver (who I love) in the tent.
Wow, that would have been cool to be at those festivals back then! I'm still stuck in a '90s nostalgia musical time warp...the all-around best years ever! Especially around '95-'97. Just amazing.

Incidentally, I've been listening to PH a lot lately after not giving it a fair listen and I've grown to really love it. You can just hear that raw Radiohead talent trying to break free, which of course it did in the next two albums.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
Wow, that would have been cool to be at those festivals back then! I'm still stuck in a '90s nostalgia musical time warp...the all-around best years ever! Especially around '95-'97. Just amazing.

Incidentally, I've been listening to PH a lot lately after not giving it a fair listen and I've grown to really love it. You can just hear that raw Radiohead talent trying to break free, which of course it did in the next two albums.

It was a great time for music and festivals were still pretty cheap and still ... how do I put this? ... they were still in the realm of the 'underground'. It's not like today where you see 'normal' people at festivals, it was still basically a weird collection of indie kids, old punks, hippies and assorted weirdos stomping around in doc martens. 😆 .. you weren't going to bump into your neighbour and her kids or anything and 99% of the bands were only found in the pages of Sounds and NME.

Yeah, I like PH way more now than I did... last time I listened to it after a break I was very pleasantly surprised.

Jazzcaster21

Tele-Holic
"Creep" is the ONLY RH song that people will cover, which is annoying to me. I hated that song when I first heard it and now it's just been run into the ground.

I prefer the post-Bends Radiohead but I suppose I should take another listen to Pablo Honey and reassess it. I was in a deep-cut rock cover band a few years ago and we did both "High and Dry" and "Knives Out". For me everything after "OK Computer" is pretty much gold.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
"Creep" is the ONLY RH song that people will cover, which is annoying to me. I hated that song when I first heard it and now it's just been run into the ground.

I prefer the post-Bends Radiohead but I suppose I should take another listen to Pablo Honey and reassess it. I was in a deep-cut rock cover band a few years ago and we did both "High and Dry" and "Knives Out". For me everything after "OK Computer" is pretty much gold.
My attention was elsewhere when Pablo Honey was getting regular play, and I'm too lazy to go back and sit with it now. I'm surprised In Rainbows doesn't get as much attention. One of their best albums IMO.

Double Stop

Tele-Holic
I saw Radiohead live several times during "The Bends" era, when they first toured the U.S. promoting that album. They weren't "huge" yet in the U.S. at that time. If they were headlining, it would still be at small clubs or they would be the opening for larger acts at bigger venues.

During that tour, they opened for Soul Asylum at the Warfield in San Francisco. I wasn't much of a Soul Asylum fan but got tickets to see Radiohead. After Radiohead's set, my friends and I gathered in the lobby having some drinks and standing in a circle just talking. All of a sudden we see Thom Yorke walking towards us and before we could even react, he walks right into the middle of our circle, says "excuse me", then continues on his way down the lobby! It was kinda weird because there was plenty of room to walk around us, but he just barreled through! I still chuckle about that every now and then.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
How about My Bloody Valentine? It took me a while to dig them.

When I saw them it was a cool, loud and fun experience but I really don't listen to them at home.... I can't remember the last time I did.

I know they are legendary for several reasons but I really struggle to get any enjoyment from the recorded music.

(also sorry, I know you weren't talking to me, but I'm bored and need conversation 😄 )