Radiohead Archive

SuprHtr

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I have always been partial to Pablo Honey despite most of the Radiohead cognoscenti dismissing it. Bands evolve but it doesn’t mean their early stuff is bad. This whole album reminded me of Syd Barrett era Pink Floyd. I still love it, without shame.

JP22

Tele-Meister
I have always been partial to Pablo Honey despite most of the Radiohead cognoscenti dismissing it. Bands evolve but it doesn’t mean their early stuff is bad. This whole album reminded me of Syd Barrett era Pink Floyd. I still love it, without shame.

Love it as well, it’s an overlooked classic.
Accomplished, great sound and just better in every way than so much else at that time: always overlooked in light of their consequent groundbreaking releases but it still very much stands up, nearly 30 years later.
My picks -
How Do You?
Ripcord

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
I don't dislike Pablo Honey. 'Anyone can play guitar' is probably my favourite. I love the contrast between the verses and the chorus.

'Creep' was a really big hit too, I'm pretty sure it made the top 10 in the 'proper' chart here, which is why I don't really consider it overlooked. It was a very popular album at the time. I do think The Bends and OK Computer overshadow it a little now, but I do think they are 'better' albums... and my favourite 2 albums, Pablo would be my third favourite though. :)

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
...'Creep' was a really big hit too, I'm pretty sure it made the top 10 in the 'proper' chart here, which is why I don't really consider it overlooked. It was a very popular album at the time...

Yep, 'Pablo Honey' was a pretty big album in the UK at the time, and both the album and 'Creep' (the radio-friendly single version, obviously) did indeed make the charts.

The rest, as they say, is history :cool:

JP22

Tele-Meister
I don't dislike Pablo Honey. 'Anyone can play guitar' is probably my favourite. I love the contrast between the verses and the chorus.

'Creep' was a really big hit too, I'm pretty sure it made the top 10 in the 'proper' chart here, which is why I don't really consider it overlooked. It was a very popular album at the time. I do think The Bends and OK Computer overshadow it a little now, but I do think they are 'better' albums... and my favourite 2 albums, Pablo would be my third favourite though. :)

Yes Anyone Can Play Guitar is a cracker of a single.

The huge success of Creep put them on the map as well I suppose.

Anyway, I think part of it for me is a bit of a nostalgia thing - I was a 20 year old indie geek at the time and still recall the excitement of hearing them for the first time: Jonny Greenwood’s guitar, Thom Yorke’s delivery, just that whole sound.

It was obvious that we were hearing something quite special, miles better than so much else at the time.

Then they proved it with the next two incredible records - and beyond.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
Yes Anyone Can Play Guitar is a cracker of a single.

The huge success of Creep put them on the map as well I suppose.

Anyway, I think part of it for me is a bit of a nostalgia thing - I was a 20 year old indie geek at the time and still recall the excitement of hearing them for the first time: Jonny Greenwood’s guitar, Thom Yorke’s delivery, just that whole sound.

It was obvious that we were hearing something quite special, miles better than so much else at the time.

Then they proved it with the next two incredible records - and beyond.

Yeah I was 22 .... I'm always very nostalgic about the first half of the 90's ... it was such a great time.

I went to Reading Festival every year between 91 and 95 too, so I got to see so many amazing bands of the time. I saw Radiohead there in 93, they played after Swervedriver (who I love) in the tent.

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
If that was as good as they had ever got then we would have forgotten about Radiohead long ago, IMHO: not bad but not memorable. Even The Bends isn't enough to guarantee them their place in the modern rock pantheon: but from OK Computer onwards they kicked it up a notch and have made great and adventurous music ever since.

JP22

Tele-Meister
I've been defending Pablo Honey for literal decades now, I think I've finally found my people 😅
✊ There must be a few more of us enlightened souls, surely?!
Yeah I was 22 .... I'm always very nostalgic about the first half of the 90's ... it was such a great time.

I went to Reading Festival every year between 91 and 95 too, so I got to see so many amazing bands of the time. I saw Radiohead there in 93, they played after Swervedriver (who I love) in the tent.

Funny, I going to have said how I’d have loved to have seen that early incarnation of Radiohead live, it wasn’t until 97 until I saw them. To be fair, that wasn’t exactly the worst gig I’ve ever been at

Yep, a really great time for guitar bands, what a time to have been going to Reading.
I still feel that showgaze scene, which is what I was most into at the time, was too short lived, particularly as compared with grunge/Britpop.
I still come across gems from back then, which I didn’t give enough of a listen (probably because couldn’t afford to buy all the albums I would’ve liked!) - Swervedriver being one such example.

JP22

Tele-Meister
If that was as good as they had ever got then we would have forgotten about Radiohead long ago, IMHO: not bad but not memorable. Even The Bends isn't enough to guarantee them their place in the modern rock pantheon: but from OK Computer onwards they kicked it up a notch and have made great and adventurous music ever since.
PH is a cracker. Listen to it again at once 😂
The Bends for me is one of the best guitar albums ever recorded.

But I agree that their legendary status wasn’t guaranteed until OK Computer.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
✊ There must be a few more of us enlightened souls, surely?!

Funny, I going to have said how I’d have loved to have seen that early incarnation of Radiohead live, it wasn’t until 97 until I saw them. To be fair, that wasn’t exactly the worst gig I’ve ever been at

Yep, a really great time for guitar bands, what a time to have been going to Reading.
I still feel that showgaze scene, which is what I was most into at the time, was too short lived, particularly as compared with grunge/Britpop.
I still come across gems from back then, which I didn’t give enough of a listen (probably because couldn’t afford to buy all the albums I would’ve liked!) - Swervedriver being one such example.

I'll be honest I don't even remember much about it, so I can't tell you how great they were ..... at the time they were just a band that I sort of quite liked so was probably just sat around chilling out with a drink after Swervedriver. That was the only problem with those festivals, so many good bands... sometimes you'd have to run between the 2 stages to catch a bit of 2 bands... I distinctly remember only seeing half of Dinosaur Jr and half of Boo Radleys because they were on at the same time.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, Screaming Trees were a band I got into years after the fact.. they even played Reading in '92 but I was watching someone else on the other stage. I didn't really even hear them until the internet came along!

JP22

Tele-Meister
I'll be honest I don't even remember much about it, so I can't tell you how great they were ..... at the time they were just a band that I sort of quite liked so was probably just sat around chilling out with a drink after Swervedriver. That was the only problem with those festivals, so many good bands... sometimes you'd have to run between the 2 stages to catch a bit of 2 bands... I distinctly remember only seeing half of Dinosaur Jr and half of Boo Radleys because they were on at the same time.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, Screaming Trees were a band I got into years after the fact.. they even played Reading in '92 but I was watching someone else on the other stage. I didn't really even hear them until the internet came along!
I remember similar running between stages situations at T In The Park, I think I saw half of Catatonia and half of James. Crazy really!

I love getting into stuff from back then that I didn’t get the chance to hear, but doubtless read all about in the NME/Melody Maker. Some very good, some less so.

Screaming Trees I couldn’t get into at the time. But the older me quite likes them.

JP22

Tele-Meister
Did you like Ride @JP22 or is that a silly question? :) That's a band I pretty much ignored at the time but started to really like a bit later on.
Conversely, Ride were the ones who got me into shoegazey stuff in the first place!
I bought the Today Forever EP early 91 I think, and that was me hooked!
Happy days.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
Conversely, Ride were the ones who got me into shoegazey stuff in the first place!
I bought the Today Forever EP early 91 I think, and that was me hooked!
Happy days.

I had friends that really liked them ... it was probably a bit too laid back for me at the time.

I did listen to a lot of music on Creation but I was more into Swervedriver and Teenage Fanclub. I was a fan of bands like Leatherface, Snuff and Senseless Things in 91 too.

... and like you said before, you could only afford so many albums. 😃

t-ray

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I discovered Radiohead only about 4 years ago and they are now one of my favorite bands. Never really liked Creep, so I had tuned them out in the past. In Rainbows is my favorite album right now, but will give Pablo Honey some critical listening over the next few weeks. I saw them live at Madison Square Garden a few years ago. One of my favorite concerts ever.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
In 1992 (when offsets ruled the world :cool: ) my favourite band of the moment was:

the suspense is killing me!!

Screenshot 2022-05-11 105335.jpg