Radio Shack Parts for an Amp Build?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by e-merlin, Apr 11, 2009.

1. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

I'm once again mulling over the possibility of building an amp, and I'll probably use or re-use a few things I already have, chassis and some pots from an old amp. I've looked over a lot of layouts and parts lists. I think I can pick up most of the stuff I need at Radio Shack. I'll probably have to buy transformers and tube sockets elsewhere. Maybe the board. Has anyone done this? Thought or comments welcome.

2. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

I find very little at RS that I can use..Much better sources on-line..

3. e-merlin

Well, that explains a lot.:rolleyes: Care to elaborate?

Personally, I like Radio Shack. They almost always have things in stock when I need 'em. I've bought soldering irons, solder, caps, and lots of other things there. I've been satisfied with my purchases. Plus, I'm supporting the local economy. I'm sure I'll have to go on line for some things, but I don't see anything wrong with their parts.

4. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

You won't find much in the way of parts used in the amp at RS. Some of it sure, you can get some resistors and a couple caps but they don't stock high voltage capacitors.

I buy a lot from www.tubedepot.com cause the selection is good and shipping is $3.95.
    That way you don't end up needing $5 worth of parts and paying $7 in shippin to get it to you.

There are lots of good places to buy from but I almost always find I can't get everything I need or want at the same location. Either they don't have it or its out of stock, so you end up using multiple sources therefore the low shipping cost is meaningful. I want to spend my money on the parts not on the brown truck...

5. e-merlin

Now, that's an explaination I can understand. I certainly don't want to buy the wrong part. Thanks for the link!

6. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

RatShack stocks caps up to 50 volts, you'll want to see 450 volts for a tube amp. They're o.k. for cathode bypass caps if you're o.k. with spending 3x what they cost elsewhere. They sell a 1/2 watt carbon film resistor assortment that might get you by. Their 1/4" jacks are the absolute worst.

You can still buy knobs and pots there.

AES stands for "Antique Electronics Supply". Most of the parts we work with were "obsolete" 40 years ago. Support the guys who sell obsolete parts, otherwise they'll be both obsolete and unobtainable.

7. e-merlin

One thing I guess I should point out is that I'm not going to buy a bunch of high-dollar NOS stuff. I'm going to use current parts unless it's something I can only get NOS. I'm 46 and so are my ears.:twisted:

8. dangelico603

dangelico603 Tele-Meister

Check out Mouser.com also. They have just about any electronic component you could think of but their web site is a bit of a PITA. Some others are Hoffmanamps.com Turretboards.com Tedweber.com Angela.com Tubesandmore.com Mojomusicalsupply.com Digikey.com
    Hope that helps.
    Jason

9. e-merlin

Thanks, guys! I really appreciate the suggestions. I'll probably build a Tweed Champ or Deluxe to start.

What I really need is a low power 3-channel power section to run with my TubeFex and 412 cabs:eek:...

10. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Almost everything you need can be purchased in one shipment from TubesAndMore.com.

To be honest, I've gotten tons of stuff from RadioShack. I've gotten more hard to find stuff at local shops and even super stores though.

Don't be afraid - take that first plung and just order it and do it.

11. Justin Belshe

Justin Belshe TDPRI Member

You won't find the parts you need at Radio Shack. You just won't.
    Sometimes you get lucky and find the value of resistor or cap you need, but the quality on most of their components is sometimes... questionable. They've moved away from stocking components, and the people who work there don't seem to know much about the nuts & bolts of electronics: They'd much rather sell you a satellite TV system or a cell phone. I went into the local RS recently, looking for a 10K 5W resistor and a .0022uf capacitor to make a conjunctive filter, and they didn't have either. Time was you could buy tubes, sockets, whatever you needed there, but these days their entire stock of components fits into a small cabinet with about a dozen drawers.

I order resistors, caps, turrets and sockets from Hoffman Amps, there's a good forum attached to the site, as well as a library of tube amp info.

I get speakers from Weber, transformers from Mercury Magnetics, tubes from NBS Electronics (Lord Valve). G-10 for circuit boards comes from McMaster-Carr.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  12. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

I lament the fact that Radio Shack isn't as great of a store for hobbyists as it used to be, but I still find lots of useful things there. The 12.6 and 6.3 volts transformers are great as auxiliary filament transformers. And those bags of 1/2 watt resistors are a cheap and great way to build up your collection for projects.

- Scott

13. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I have two of those huge multipack resistor bags. I've used most of the resistors in making pedals, a few amp repairs, and other odds and ends. Great deal for a wide variety.

I also buy bags of their perf-board for pedal builds. Rectifier Diodes, LEDs, pedal/OD diodes, you name it.

Also, RadioShack's 12v trannies are cool - better yet, combine the 12V tranny with their 12v mini-relays which have come in handy for building channel footswitching amps.

I never go to RadioShack for everything, but I often end up dropping by for odds and ends more than I ever imagined. You'd be surprised at what they have.

14. telebluesrocker

telebluesrocker TDPRI Member

You Guys in the US are so lucky we dont have anything like the amount of supplyers in the UK :(

15. Justin Belshe

Justin Belshe TDPRI Member

Hey, I have to order everything. Ten years ago, every city had an electronic component store, but most have closed shop. I live near Oklahoma City, with it's half million people, and there's no place to go for this stuff anymore (that I know of, I'd love to learn differently).

16. dangelico603

dangelico603 Tele-Meister

If you find out be sure to hip me to it. I'm in OKC too and I sure haven't found anywhere.
    Jason

17. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

What every one else said Radio Shack just does not have much stuff anymore for the hobby type person. Still a good place to get soldering supplies though.

18. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Six of one, half dozen of another.

If it were still 1982 I could hike down to Canal Street and buy goodies from Ramco Electronics or Trans-Am Electronics. There was a little hole in the wall shop on a side street halfway to the World Trade Center, it was chaos inside but the place was stacked up to the ceiling with tubes and vintage electronics parts.

Today, we have the Internet. If you don't feel like wading through a Mouser catalog (because when you have hundreds of choices which is right?!) you can order online from Watts Tube Audio.

http://www.turretboards.com/

Point and click, your stuff goes in a padded envelope and you'll get it three or four days later.

I've had problems with a couple vendors, one in particular. It seems their shipping guy may be moonlighting at a competitor's because I had the exact same problem with another supplier... :lol: The couple of biggies offer nice prices but every other order doesn't resemble what I ordered in any way, shape or form. Example... parts missing, oddball substitutes in the stuff that does show up, things like that. Example: Order a 5E3 chassis kit, it shows up with a Bandmaster circuit board. Well cool, I guess I'll just order a Bandmaster chassis to go with my circuit board! :lol: If I need a 250 ohm 5w resistor I need a 250 ohm 5w resistor. It's hateful to have a project stalled over one silly little part that's backorderd or missing from an order.

19. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

20. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

I occasionally wander into my local RS for supplies such as soldering stuff. But for resistors and caps, etc, it's just a gamble to see if they have it. Their boxes with components are a big mess, everything is in the wrong place. I spent 10 min searching often ending up not finding the value I need. But my biggest gripe with RS is that they never sell stuff in quantities of one, you are almost always forced to buy multiple items, even if you just need one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.