Radio, Internet Station, and Reviewer Formats

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Martin R, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm not sure where to post this, but at least it will get a lot of eyes here...
    In the old timey days one would send CD's to radio stations and reviewers. Now CD players are going the way of 8-tracks.

What formats do stations and reviewers want now? What formats are radio and internet radio playing?

We have a Spotify account but I don't think the songs can be downloaded. Our SoundCloud cuts can be downloaded but I have no idea what format is used.

Anyway, I'd love to hear from folks in the biz about what works and what doesn't. (We still have about a hundred CDs if it comes to that.)

Thanks in advance,

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

USB Thumb Drive?

3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

About 10 years ago I stopped doing my radio show at a college radio station.
    They had to have non-student DJ’s because the students would never show up.

Anyhow I had been there seven or eight years and at the very end which would’ve been 2009 or 2010, about half of the music they received was some kind of digital file . Some were some kind of drive but the others were like a link to BandCamp or similar.

Obviously the stuff on CD would get played the most .

Nowadays ? Gotta imagine CD players in the hands of reviewers and radio stations are probably pretty scarce.

4. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

Not sure what you're asking. You want to know the best way to submit a song to a station or streaming service? If so, which stations, or rather which type of stations, do you plan on submitting to? I don't think any prominent internet radio station or streaming channel is going to accept unsolicited songs. In any case, I'm sure you can look up the manager for a given station and contact them.

Standard streaming format is mp3. Nowadays I suppose a service can reformat just about any sound file format to their preferred standard (mp3, WAV, Ogg Vorbis, AAC/FLAC, or whatever).

EDIT: I believe SoundCloud automatically reformats any file that gets uploaded to an mp3, AFAIK.

5. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

The easiest format for unsolicited distribution is YouTube, IMO. Plays in browsers and browser apps without any downloading or special account. It is THE ubiquitous and 'free' media distribution and publishing to the known universe.

6. BrandonIke

BrandonIke Tele-Meister

Put together a digital press kit

Martin R likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.