Rack effects for classic country/rockabilly guitar recording mixing studio setup

drewblue

Tele-Meister
ANY HELP or opinions WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

So im converting my recording rig to a pretty much dawless/non computer set up. Im ready to play again not look at a screen. for recording classic country/rockabilly stuff. Besides an ipad to get stuff in the digital realm for mastering and sharing.

Im Going with a tascam model 24. It has 3 busses. Im gonna use a ua/610 going in. I want simple analog effects. No menus. A reverb, a echo/delay, and a buss compressor. Any opinions. Also here is what I've been looking at i would like opinions these and if there is something better

1. Reverb demeter rv-1 spring reverb. (If its good enough for ry cooder good enough for me.
2. echo chandler sde. If its good enough for reverend horton heat good enough for me. (I would like a tape unit one day but Tape units are expensive and maintenance and parts.
and most are not stereo and level matching issues.

3. Compressor a la/2a/gates or maybe a ssl but im thinking tube. Thank you guys for any help

transmetro

TDPRI Member
The echo you highlight is a digital unit. I'm a bit confused when you then say simple analog effects only.

loudboy

Tele-Holic
I'd go for the real thing - a Fender standalone Reverb. In addition to a great reverb, that tube in there adds some real magic.

For delay, I've lost track of all the dozens of new ones, but I've had a DLS Echotap for years, and am always amazed at how good it sounds. A lot of people also dig the MXR Carbon Copy.

I'd get a pedal compressor - an 1176 or such isn't going to give you that country squish. I have an Xotic SP, and I really like it, subtle to DynaComp, very quiet and built like a tank.

All this would go before your interface.

drewblue

Tele-Meister
I'd go for the real thing - a Fender standalone Reverb. In addition to a great reverb, that tube in there adds some real magic.

For delay, I've lost track of all the dozens of new ones, but I've had a DLS Echotap for years, and am always amazed at how good it sounds. A lot of people also dig the MXR Carbon Copy.

I'd get a pedal compressor - an 1176 or such isn't going to give you that country squish. I have an Xotic SP, and I really like it, subtle to DynaComp, very quiet and built like a tank.

All this would go before your interface.
I have a dynacomp and keeley. Carbon copy boss and a milkman. Also looking at a rumble seat and nocturne brain. Im pretty good on the pedal front. Im wanting studio effects

Ben Harmless

Poster Extraordinaire
When I went to Memphis a few years ago (pre-COVID, sigh) I toured Sun Studio with a couple of friends. You can see their gear list PDF from this page. Just looking at it, you can see that they've got some old stuff, but my guess is that it's all more for authenticity than anything they think of as secret weapons. The guy who ran my tour actually engineers there. He told me they typically use six channels "and a few tricks."

This is an area where it's totally my bias to be "one of those guys" and suggest that it's more about having solid gear and practicing than it is about having just the right stuff. Find a vari-mu style compressor, and maybe a Pultec-style EQ. None of them are super cheap, so 90% of what you find will work great if applied properly.

Total tangent: I'm a social worker form Massachusetts. At the end of my Sun Studio tour we walked from the live room back into the lobby, and there was my clinical supervisor sitting there, on vacation with her family.

Other tangent: There's a story that Sun once invited The Oblivians to record there, but under the condition that they get a bass player. The Oblivians told them to get lost. Oblivians:1, Sun Studio:0 (if you don't count the legendary records and Elvis, and all that stuff).

Esquire Jones

Tele-Holic
My “band” just started using the Tascam24SP specifically to record practice sessions. We wanted 8 simultaneous tracks.

In the two weeks we’ve had it we’ve been able to bang out some decent mixes just for our purposes.

It’s menu driven hell though. Be forewarned.

transmetro

TDPRI Member
On the compressor front, it seems you're mainly looking for something to go on the 2bus. For this reason I wouldn't prioritise tube - presumably you're looking for versatile, high quality and transparent rather than a heavy sonic character that will be on every track?

API 2500
Elysia Mpressor
Manley NuMu or VariMu would be tube options
Drawmer 1968