R-style scale length question

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TimmyM, May 4, 2020.

1. TimmyM

TimmyM Tele-Meister

I have been working on a few guitars since the quarantine saying started, I am getting pretty far along on them, as they are about ready to put the finish on. I usually have two or three going at a time, all in various stages so I can kind of work on what I’m in the mood for. I started thinking about what would be next and I think I’m gonna build one of those mini scales tell me or strap guitars for my grandson and have it ready by his third birthday in June. Then (and the reason for this post) I was thinking about starting three Ricken******-Style guitars at the same time, a 325 style (Lennon inspired) but sort of combining a ‘58 and a ‘64. Black, Bigsby, two-layer pickguard, three pick up and five knobs. I can use a 25” scale rosewood fingerboard and cut it off at the third fret to get a 21.02” scale. Next would be a 360/12 style (Harrison inspired) old style, double bound, and so on. Then a 620 or perhaps a 620/12 (Petty inspired). This brings me to my real question, for these two I need 24 3/4” scale fingerboards. All of the pre-slotted fingerboards that I can find are cut to the true Gibson 24 3/4” scale, which is actually 24 9/16”. Does anyone know if Ricken******’s are actually a true 24 3/4”? I can, if necessary, cut my out slots, but I usually buy them from Luthiers Mercantile International or StewMac but I find the difference in cost and then takes to do it yourself to be cheaper to just buy one directly. I also found that I can buy a bubinga at Rockler locally and I would like to use that on the 620 model. This is going to be a challenging project for the 360/12 and the 620 because I’ve never done those type of position markers either. I am also going to build each one in a different neck attachment type. The 620 will be straight through, the 360 will have a Long tenon and 325 and have either a shorter tenon or A T-block like this I saw online.

1E1AF52A-06B1-42B0-ABF1-FE96039F1B5F.jpeg

2. trancedental

trancedental Tele-Meister

Both the 24.75" scale slotted fretboards I have bought for my 2 R8888y builds, a 1993 12 string type & a 330 style, (both 21 frets) have been exactly that size.

I have 2 Rickenbackers, an '88 Ruby 330 & '02 FG 360 12 string & they are exactly the same 24.75" scale, I've just checked. Measured to centre of 12th fret.

I don't have a Gibson but my Epiphone Sheraton is 24.75", the measurement is very slightly longer than 628.65mm / 24.75", I reckon it's 690mm as it's metric MIK.

Usually the 24.75" slotted boards are called Gibson / Rickenbacker & the 24.562" just Gibson on the EBay listings. I believe 24.6" is Gretsch.

So you just need a 24.75" slotted fretboard / fingerboard.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=142876840830

It's rosewood, I think they have sometimes used Bubinga & Padauk over the years, more recently Rosewood.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
    crazydave911 and TimmyM like this.
  3. TimmyM

TimmyM Tele-Meister

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it. I have ordered from two different companies in the past (StewMac and Luthiers Mercantile) and they both supply the Gibson length of 24 9/16”. I’ve cut my own before so I guess I’ll just order the blanks this time around, it just takes a long time measuring everything up as accurately as possible, sometimes it’s just easier to buy it if what you need is available.

trancedental and crazydave911 like this.
  4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

5. trancedental

Whilst I'm thinking about it, a reminder that a R***y fingerboard is usually a bit thicker than a Fender or Gibson, they're about 1-1.5mm thicker. Also if you use the cheaper MIC toasters (they're actually Firebird type construction inside) pups, these are also higher than the ones RIC makes by over 3mm.

So you will might to adjust the total neck / fretboard height above the body depending on what pickups / grommets & fretboard you use before you cut the neck to body joint.

6. GeminiCG

GeminiCG Tele-Meister

Seems like fun. Is the R-style an unspeakable guitar on this forum? :D Anyways, yeah, there are several good sources for unusual guitar scale lengths. I believe Potvin Guitars can make you a fingerboard template in the scale length you need, if you ever wish to make the guitar again with the scale length.

Good luck, and stay safe!

7. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Interesting projects I must say. My only request is on the 330/360 especially don't be too faithful to the neck widths. They are barely wide enough for a 6 much less a 12 IMO

TimmyM, Rich Rice and nojazzhere like this.
  8. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Hey Dave! I hope you're getting better.

I did some work 25 years ago for a local guitar store and was interested in a 12 string electric. I could not play any Ric because of the narrow neck. I don't have big hands and found them very uncomfortable with the strings so close together.

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

One day at a time my friend :)

10. trancedental

Regarding the neck width, a 300 series is not much difference to vintage spec Fenders or early 60's ES-335's, but many modern guitars are much wider nuts so some players might find it uncomfortable.

You can actually get more space making a new nut with the strings closer to the fretboard edges plus string pairs cut closer together for the 12 sting versions.
    Or get a wider string spaced 12 string custom nut already cut from Rickysounds. http://www.rickysounds.co.uk/product/rickysounds-wider-spaced-12-string-nut-nylatron/

The necks & string spacing do have a more shallow taper plus the bridge string spacing is more narrow compared to most Fenders / Gibsons.
    You can, however get a wider Gibson size ABR-1 / Nashville bridge adapter from Winfield Vintage. https://www.winfieldvintage.com/tuneomatic-bridges

If you're making your own, you can build to taste, however you like it You can even adapt the cheap MIC bridges with new aluminium saddles, bolts & choose your own string spacing to suit.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    crazydave911 likes this.
  11. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

ric body.jpg

I have this Ricky 12 here with me, the scale is a true 24.74". I just put a ruler on it to be certain.

crazydave911, TimmyM and trancedental like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.