R.l. Burnside - Jumper On The Line

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Peter Rarebit, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Peter Rarebit

Peter Rarebit Tele-Meister

This is an example of a modal blues - he doesn't leave the I chord. I find these songs pretty fascinating. Also, hey, he's playing a tele!

This is actually a clip from the 1992 Deep Blues documentary - the white dude that appears briefly is Dave Stewart (Eurythmics Dave Stewart, yeah).

Beatbx, bgmacaw, sds1 and 4 others like this.
  2. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

I love this Vid! I have been off and on trying to capture that rhythm and tone since the first time I saw this vid years ago. I just cant get the timing and feel right. Same for the Belton Sutherland's similar style.
    I believe the video is late 80s but you are right its a Stewart video. Whatever I much prefer the early recordings to the more processed style of his later commercial years with buddy Jon Spenser and his drummer (grandson?). Im really happy he was able to bring in some income from music in those years however.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    check this porch picker, Belton Sutherland, cant get out of first gear and still manages huge tonal and rhythmic interest. Werent Burnside and Sutherland both north Mississippi style?

Piggy Stu and Peter Rarebit like this.
  3. Peter Rarebit

Peter Rarebit Tele-Meister

Yeah! Its just hypnotic- I guess this is more like an unaccompanied style, but I've dug up a few recordings of full bands just hanging on that I chord. Amazing.

4. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

The film was a collaboration between Robert Palmer and Dave Stewart. To be honest Stewart was having a little trouble nailing RL's groove too, but he had the sense to stay out of RL's way.

I love RL's style and the North Mississippi sound. He did a great live album with his electric band called Burnside on Burnside, and I also like a lot of those tracks that fused hypnotic one chord blues with hip hop grooves, although I gather that was mostly post-humous work by his producers.

BTW if you enjoy reading about music check out Robert Palmer's writing. Probably the best writer about American music that I've come across.

5. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

There are some great clips in Deep Blues (the movie), but overall I don't think it lived up to the high benchmark set by probably the best book out there on the subject.

Perhaps I viewed it through that lens, having read the book just before, and it has value in its own right. I'll watch it again this weekend. My fave movies on this subject are the Martin Scorcese set.

RIP Robert Palmer.

6. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

i love those songs. Don t need much that one chord then ?

7. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Reminiscent to some of Miles, Kind of Blue, modalities...gotta love those mo-down grooves, reminding me of Miles final session with John Lee Hooker & other great company;

8. Ramon Goose

Ramon Goose TDPRI Member

Hi guys - wicked thread!

Hope its okay to post a wee lesson on R.L. Burnsides struming technique - not easy!

9. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

This is one of my fave ever clips. I had an operation 4 years ago and had to spend a month in bed: must have listened to this 100 times

It is actually pretty easy once you get it

xafinity likes this.
  10. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

That’s a great clip. I love playing Burnside. It’s so hard to learn, but when you’ve got a song, it seems so easy.

11. Kimbarafuzz

Kimbarafuzz TDPRI Member

A great thank you for this lesson

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.