1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

R.I.P Michael Stanley

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chip, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

RIP. :(

2. Chip

Chip Friend of Leo's

The flags at the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame are at half mast.

rdjones and Jakedog like this.
  3. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

That is a great life attitude. Thanks uriah 1 for posting

4. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Michael was a great guy. He embodied this city, it’s people, and it’s music, in a way that very few people ever could. He will be very sorely missed.

Jim W, djh22, FenderGyrl and 4 others like this.
  5. Chip

Chip Friend of Leo's

Michael was a huge Cleveland Indians fan. At today’s spring training game there will be a moment of silence followed by the playing of “My Town”.

3fngrs, rdjones and Jakedog like this.
  6. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Holic

Here he is doing my favorite of his songs, from his basement. Some kind of benefit after the lockdown.

7. Chip

Chip Friend of Leo's

The largest concert crowd I ever saw was MSB playing in the parking lot of Cleveland Municipal Stadium in 1984. I’ve been searching for years for a photo and finally found one today....
    06B16681-F029-4FBA-BD07-3D25CC373500.jpeg
    here’s an aerial view of the Stadium. The stage was on the right end of the parking lot next to East 9th street next to the letter M. The crowd filled the parking lot, down the sides of the stadium and the port authority dock to the north. There had to have been well over 100,000 people.
    E532BCC9-D8B4-4A42-9012-F3663AD6BF4D.jpeg
    the fitting thing to this is that the R&R Hall of Fame now sits on the same plot of land the the stage was on...
    03A67E3B-1092-4E30-BA4B-CAB79A16C7ED.jpeg

8. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

LOL. That was my second big concert! That was a free concert that he put on to finish the "You Can't Fight Fashion" tour. I was just telling my gal how my buddy and I happened to be in Cleveland to visit his family that weekend so when we heard about that concert, we went.

We kept pushing our way forward and by halfway through the show we were little over twenty feet from the stage, maybe thirty feet. i wish that picture was a little clearer because I'll bet we would visible right about where that shadow starts We were to the right front of the stage. Great show!

I think that was the largest free concert ever in Cleveland. I'm sure in was at the time.

When he played "This Town" that crowd just went crazy! Everybody there seemed to know the lyrics and was singing/yelling along, screaming and generally raising hell! It was a beautiful thing.

As I mentioned earlier, I saw him first about 7-8 months before that at his concert at the Richfield Coliseum. I also saw him a few years back in New Philadelphia at the Kent Tusc performing arts center with his newer band, the Resonaters. Took my then teenaged daughter to that one. Another great performance! Played all the old hits.

I'll have to show that picture to the old lady in the morning.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    Chip likes this.
  9. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

I think it bears mentioning that Michael played telecasters. Most of pics I've seen him he had a Tele in his hands. He also played a Les Paul quite a bit.

Chip likes this.
  10. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

He will be missed. I mixed him several times live as a solo artist and he was a very kind person to work with. He was a great performer in any kind of context.

Peace and Blessings to his family.

rdjones, Chip and stxrus like this.
  11. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

My wife and I went to College in Erie, PA ( me, '76-'80) and though we never saw the Michael Stanley Band ( we just had no $$!), the band was always advertised on the College radio stations, when coming to town:

" Coming to The Erie County Field House, Saturday, June 22nd, The Michael Stanley Band!"

So I have nostalgic memories of College- I think the band got a little airplay too

RIP Michael

3fngrs likes this.
  12. Chip

Chip Friend of Leo's

I actually called WNCX’s request line a few years ago and asked Michael about his Telecaster and tell him about our little place called the TDPRI. He was more than happy to tell me all about his number one favorite guitar, his Telecaster. It’s a 1972 that he’d tweaked a few times through the years. He put on a six saddle bridge in the 70’s, a few different black pickguards. In later years he switched back to a three brass barrel bridge and added a brass nut. He was super nice and said he’d check out this site, I wonder if he ever did.
    Here’s some pics of the guitar through the years...
    C453FB1B-4E17-4BE8-B19F-2F112DEF3F6B.jpeg
    89B125AA-7204-4B67-B07F-58AED237129C.jpeg
    9FDF75AB-D6CE-4F89-B0F5-2358C4704876.jpeg

Stratohacker, djh22, rdjones and 2 others like this.
  13. stxrus

I’ve spent the last hour or so listening to his music. Some of I know, some of it is new to me. All of it is fantastic

Chip likes this.
  14. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

Went to college with him. Only spoke with him a few times. He was already on his way to good things back then.

Chip likes this.
  15. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

We saw him at the Akron Civic Theater in February of 2020. He played most of Stage Pass. I saw him numerous times in the 80s.

An icon in NE Ohio. He will be missed.

3fngrs and Chip like this.
  16. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Poster Extraordinaire

I was saddened to read about Michaels passing.

I grew up in Youngstown Ohio. The MSB was a really big part of my life. We played his albums. We learned his songs.
    Let's Get The Show On The Road was always in our set list when playing the Bar Circuit.

I saw the Blossom Shows, the Stadium Parking
    Lot Show....the Idora Park Show.

We would go and see The MSB any chance we could. They were such an inspiration. Local Boys who played by their own rules and made it on their own terms. I learned so much watching Michael.

I met him once, he was a really nice guy. Took the time to listen and offer advice. Probably the most Sincere and Stand Up performer I ever met.

I traveled the country and was always surprised that other regions had never heard of The MSB. Whenever I played his music for people they were instant fans. I never understood why he wasn't an international star. Maybe it was just an Ohio thing. I don't know. I mean, The James Gang broke...not sure why The MSB never did.

So... RIP Michael.

And if any of you haven't heard The MSB....
    Check out Stage Pass.

FH

djh22, 3fngrs, rdjones and 1 other person like this.
  17. stxrus

MSB had a big following in Texas. They should have gone further but a ton of music always flowed from them.

3fngrs and Chip like this.
  18. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

R.I.P.

3fngrs likes this.
  19. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Rest in Peace

3fngrs likes this.
  20. Tele T

Tele T TDPRI Member

GREAT ROCKER.R.I.P. Michael :(

Chip and 3fngrs like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.