R.I.P. Lamont Dozier, Motown songwriter

billy logan

Tele-Afflicted
short video, snippets of (very few of) his many, many hits as 1/3 of the hit factory: Holland-Dozier-Holland

lamont-dozier-dead <--- blackamericaweb.com

On the radio this a.m. they were interviewing Abdul "Duke" Fakir. I was confounded to learn that The 4 Tops considered "(Reach Out) I'll Be There" an interesting, experimental, but not spectacular, album cut; AND THAT the talk-singing style of the verses was a conscious reflection of Bob Dylan's, relatively speaking, sing-song-y, not-exactly-American-Idol vocal stylings!

But Berry Gordy said, "No no. You just watch; we'll release that one as the single" (paraphrasing there!)

I was a teenager then listening to CKLW AM radio and I never would have put that together, Bob Dylan and "(Reach Out) I'll Be There"*; I guess lead singer Levi Stubbs couldn't subtract melody from the lyrics - even when he was trying to!

Mr. Fakir also said Lamont Dozier was a fantastic cook :)

*(Reach Out) "I'll Be There" e.g., has dramatic chords [edit again: I appreciate Bob Dylan's creations also, btw]

edit2add: If isolated bass isn't your thing just skip up to about 45 seconds in to hear the Funk Brothers come in one by one** and bring out the Holland-Dozier-Holland magic that has thrilled yours truly since the 60's; that's over 10 years ago! More than 15 years back!

**as YT uploader docrewdysoul fades them up!

The wiki Holland-Dozier-Holland--->Holland–Dozier–Holland<--- has a more complete discography (WOW!) than does the Lamont Dozier wiki

anecdote found in Australian Associated Press: [A girlfriend of Mr. Dozier's was displeased with him...]
[begin cut and paste:] ... ... Dozier told the Guardian. "So she started telling me off and swinging at me until I said, 'Stop! In the name of love!' And as soon as I'd said it I heard a cash register in my head and laughed. My girlfriend didn't think it was very amusing: we broke up. The only ones who were happy about it were the Supremes." [end cut and paste]

Last edited:

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I was much more influenced by Motown than most other music. His skills were sublime. RIP sir. Hope to meet you down the road.

trandy9850

Tele-Meister
Ad Free Member
lamont-dozier-dead <--- blackamericaweb.com

short video, snippets of (very few of) his many, many hits as 1/3 of the hit factory: Holland-Dozier-Holland

On the radio this a.m. they were interviewing Abdul "Duke" Fakir. I was confounded to learn that The 4 Tops considered "(Reach Out) I'll Be There" an interesting, experimental, but not spectacular, album cut; AND THAT the talk-singing style of the verses was a conscious reflection of Bob Dylan's, relatively speaking, sing-song-y, not-exactly-American-Idol vocal stylings!

But Berry Gordy said, "No no. You just watch; we'll release that one as the single" (paraphrasing there!)

I was a teenager then listening to CKLW AM radio and I never would have put that together, Bob Dylan and "(Reach Out) I'll Be There"*; I guess lead singer Levi Stubbs couldn't subtract melody from the lyrics - even when he was trying to!

Mr. Fakir also said Lamont Dozier was a fantastic cook :)

*(Reach Out) "I'll Be There" e.g., has dramatic chords [edit again: I appreciate Bob Dylan's creations also, btw]

edit2add: If isolated bass isn't your thing just skip up to about 45 seconds in to hear the Funk Brothers come in one by one** and bring out the Holland-Dozier-Holland magic that has thrilled yours truly since the 60's; that's over 10 years ago! More than 15 years back!

**as YT uploader docrewdysoul fades them up!

The wiki Holland-Dozier-Holland--->Holland–Dozier–Holland<--- has a more complete discography (WOW!) than does the Lamont Dozier wiki

Every bass player on the planet should be forced to listen to this. Sheer excellence.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
Sorry to hear this, he co-composed some of my favourite songs.
He was writing hits even without Holland and Holland right up until the late 1980s for the likes of The Four Tops, Alison Moyet and Phil Collins.

While I'm not a big Phil Collins fan, I love this song. It was the soundtrack to my first holiday outside of the UK and Ireland. Of all places it was Acapulco in '89.
Thanks for the memories Mr D.