R.I.P. Gordon Stoker (The Jordinaires)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bill Hullett, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Bill  Hullett

Bill Hullett Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Gordon was a great guy! I'm gonna miss him![B

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Gordon Stoker, a member of The Jordanaires vocal group that backed Elvis Presley, died Wednesday. He was 88.

His son, Alan, told The Associated Press that Stoker died at his home in Brentwood, Tenn., after a lengthy illness. Stoker, who was born in Gleason, Tenn., got his start playing the piano on WSM radio and its signature show, the Grand Ole Opry.

Alan Stoker said his father was just 15 when he started playing professionally. He joined the Jordanaires as a piano player, but then became tenor vocalist. The group was already well known for their gospel singing when Presley recruited them to perform on his recording of "Hound Dog," in 1956.

The Jordanaires originated in Missouri and came to Nashville, where they backed Red Foley on a segment of the Opry called the "Prince Albert Show," according to John Rumble, senior historian at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum. Rumble said they drew on both black and white gospel music, as well as many of the hymns Stoker knew by heart from his childhood in rural West Tennessee."He could play by ear," Rumble said. "Anything he could hear on the radio, he could play it." The quartet soon developed a national audience after performing on the Opry and the nationally syndicated show, "Eddy Arnold Time."

They recorded and performed for years with Elvis, who was a huge gospel fan, Rumble said. In some of the early Elvis recordings, such as "It's Now or Never," and "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" their vocals really stood out, he said.

The Jordanaires also performed with Patsy Cline on "Crazy," with Jim Reeves on "Four Walls," on George Jones' 1980 hit "He Stopped Loving Her Today," and on Kenny Rogers' "Lucille." They were elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2001.

2. Joefish

Joefish Tele-Afflicted

What a career! Rest in Peace

Pages and pages of Youtube clips of Mr. Stoker.

I really liked this one … it’s now my favorite Ringo track.

26 June 1970 [18:00-21:00] Music City Recorders, 821 19th Ave. South, Nashville, TN -- Ringo Starr (Jerry Kennedy [gt], Jerry Reed [gt], David Kirby [gt], Charlie Daniels [gt], Pete Drake [steel], Ben Schaeufele [dobro], Roy M. "Junior" Huskey, Jr. [bass], Buddy Harman [drums], Grover "Shorty" Lavender [fiddle], George Richey [piano], Charlie McCoy [harmonica] + The Jordanaires (Gordon Stoker, Ray Walker, Hoyt Hawkins & Neal Matthews). Producer: Jack Drake)

3. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

That's too bad. He lived a long life, and did what he loved. Prayers for his family.

4. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Rest in peace. Wonderful music!

5. JamesVRoy

JamesVRoy Tele-Holic

Thanks for posting this bill. I was just about to post so I'll just add.

Gordon was the longest running and last of the original members of the Jordanaires that recorded and toured with Elvis, Scotty, Bill and DJ in 1956. He joined the group in 1951. Of those originals he was preceded in death by Hoyt Hawkins (1982), Neal Matthews (2000) and Hugh Jarrett (2004).
    Gordon for many years had been a staple at the Elvis events and has toured, recorded with and for Scotty on many sessions since along with Ray Walker who replaced Hugh in 1958 and recent members Curtis Young and (the late) Louis Nunley.

May he Rest in Peace.

6. JamesVRoy

JamesVRoy Tele-Holic

Scotty engineered those sessions. That was his studio.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.