R.I.P. Bob McGrath of Sesame Street

micpoc

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Well, this one makes me a little sad. Like Fred Rogers, the original cast of Sesame Street felt like real friends; now, only Loretta Long remains...

Sesame Street icon Bob McGrath - who started on the show in 1967 and continued for 47 seasons - dies aged 90 (Daily Mail)

65234645-11501563-image-a-9_1670195958798.jpg

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
Sesame Street was a tv show that was really aimed at adults that had a great side benefit of teaching children a ton of lessons. The alphabet, numbers, differences among people, cultural differences, and a plethora of societal issues.
I worked for PBS for 6 (1974-1980) years and never missed an episode of Sesame Street
Bob McGrath was a very important part of Sesame Street and the inclusion of cultures
I can’t say Bob’s passing is a loss of any of my youth but a big part of my life
RIP

Flip G

Tele-Holic
This makes me very sad. I saw him in concert when I was 7. I loved this album I had of his at the time.
s-l500.jpg

It turns out he released an album just last year!

The lyrics to this song have me weeping. They sound like he knew it would be the first thing I heard upon learning, here, of his death. They're, like, all about reassuring and comforting the boy in me not to be sad for him tonight, but happy.

When I'm swinging on my swing,
Swinging to and fro,
Way up to the heavens, staring at the ground below.
I lean my head way back,
As far as it will go,
And I feel just like I'm flying.

cometazzi

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
47 seasons

I wish we all could find something so engaging and fulfilling to do for a lifetime, like he did.

And, as a child of the 1970s and 1980s I learned a lot from Sesame Street. I could read by time I got into Kindergarten (not college level, but impressive for a 5 year old) and I feel that Sesame Street had a lot to do with that.

stxrus said:
differences among people, cultural differences, and a plethora of societal issues.

I fortunately got plenty of good perspective on this from Mom and Dad, but Sesame Street sure did its part to reinforce it in myself and the kids I played with at the time.

micpoc

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I do not hold my own childhood era (60s–mid-70s) up as some "golden time"; as an adult, I have come to realize there was plenty about it that stank. We DID, however, manage to have great educational television: Sesame Street, Electric Company, Mister Rogers Neighborhood, Big Blue Marble, Zoom, and of course Schoolhouse Rock, among others.

I was saddened to learn several years ago (I think here at TDPRI) that Sesame Street was a shadow of its former self. I have no idea if there are similar offerings out there for kids now; I assume no.

middy

Friend of Leo's
I do not hold my own childhood era (60s–mid-70s) up as some "golden time"; as an adult, I have come to realize there was plenty about it that stank. We DID, however, manage to have great educational television: Sesame Street, Electric Company, Mister Rogers Neighborhood, Big Blue Marble, Zoom, and of course Schoolhouse Rock, among others.

I was saddened to learn several years ago (I think here at TDPRI) that Sesame Street was a shadow of its former self. I have no idea if there are similar offerings out there for kids now; I assume no.
You can still watch all the old Sesame Street on HBO. I always switch back to the first season when they fly to Hawaii. That’s when the show jumped the shark, IMHO

Edited to add: I have a 2 year old. I don’t watch by myself.

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
R.I.P. Bob. You were part of a real game changer for the children of the world.

Stubee

Doctor of Teleocity
My son was born in 1970 and Sesame Street was a treat for him and everybody around him. It was quite a contrast with my Saturday morning kiddie TV watching in the mid-1950s!

RIP.

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Afflicted
I'm saddened by this news as well. Growing up in Canada it was Mister Dressup followed by Sesame Street on CBC. Bob and the cast were integral parts of my childhood. Better adult role models than I had around me - in some ways refuge from the volatile home situation I had. Escapism at its finest.