R.I.P. Alex Trebek

thunderbyrd

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
he always seemed like a decent and gentlemanly fellow. he will be missed. my wife got me into watching jeopardy a few years ago, it just won't be the same at all.

Last edited:

Torren61

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
he always seemed like a decent and gentlemanly fellow. he will be missed. my wife got me into watching jeopardy a few years ago, it just won't be the same at all.

There should be classes in school of how to behave like Alex Trebek. I'm so far from that level of classiness it makes me sad...

tubegeek

Friend of Leo's
Here was a guy who was admired and watched for over 30 years, and the worst you could say about him was he kept his show up to a very high standard of intellectual challenge.

I think he had one of the dryest senses of humor I've ever known. And I feel like I came to know his, as he was such a long-term presence.

He will be missed by many, including me.

What is: the definition of class?

SuprHtr

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
My favorite game show of all time, mostly because of Mr. Trebek. I can’t imagine who could be an adequate replacement.

DougM

Poster Extraordinaire
I was going to post a cute SNL celebrity Jeopardy as a tribute to him and Sean Connery, but they're all so filthy that they wouldn't pass TDPRI's standards and practices. Instead I'll say that he made us all a little smarter and more educated about a wide range of subjects, and entertained us immensely at the same time. What a magical gift to have, for which we will be eternally grateful.

tubegeek

Friend of Leo's
My favorite game show of all time, mostly because of Mr. Trebek. I can’t imagine who could be an adequate replacement.

Greatest Of All Time Tournament winner Ken Jennings seems to have the inside track - he joined the show this season in a minor role. His chemistry with Alex and his well-developed social media presence seem to be a good indicator that he'll be worth a try. I think he's a good bet to be a worthy successor.

Torren61

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Greatest Of All Time Tournament winner Ken Jennings seems to have the inside track - he joined the show this season in a minor role. His chemistry with Alex and his well-developed social media presence seem to be a good indicator that he'll be worth a try. I think he's a good bet to be a worthy successor.
Big, BIG shoes to fill for anyone trying to be the next Jeopardy host.

tubegeek

Friend of Leo's
Big, BIG shoes to fill for anyone trying to be the next Jeopardy host.

No joke. I expect that Jennings will try to do the job in his own way - he has a much less dominating presence than Trebek did.

I can imagine the show being different-but-still-great. I think he'll get the shot, and I doubt they'd mess with the game format at all.

Torren61

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
No joke. I expect that Jennings will try to do the job in his own way - he has a much less dominating presence than Trebek did.

I can imagine the show being different-but-still-great. I think he'll get the shot, and I doubt they'd mess with the game format at all.

It would be such a change but I guess if Leno can take over for Carson, anything is possible... (I would have preferred Letterman to take over from Carson, better fit)

tubegeek

Friend of Leo's
It would be such a change but I guess if Leno can take over for Carson, anything is possible... (I would have preferred Letterman to take over from Carson, better fit)
Leno was/is a pretty decent standup but I couldn't get behind him as a host.

backporchmusic

Poster Extraordinaire
Sad to see him go. I watch the show every night. On Friday, the current champion related a story that when he came to America as a child (from India) that he didn't speak English, and his grandfather sat him on his lap and made him watch Jeopoardy, so he credited Alex Trebek with teaching him how to speak English. It was a touching story.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I'm sorry to hear of his demise. Never watched the program but my daughter was a big fan. She had been concerned for some time about his health and spoke well of him. I sort of knew about his plight from reading bits and pieces in the news about him. I hope he was at peace with himself, and from the reports he was.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
RIP Alex.
We knew this moment was going to come at some point, but sad when it actually happened.

My longtime fantasy ( besides being on the show myself!) was to see Alex as a CONTESTANT on Jeopardy, maybe with Ken J. or Brad R. as hosts. But it never came to be.

Started watching Jeopardy with my dad in the '60's, with Art Fleming as the host, and my wife, son, and I have watched every night ( unless I have a gig), for most of my son's 35 years.

Love Jeopardy and Alex- like family, in a way.

MisterZ

Tele-Afflicted
2 pages in and no mention of his classic guest starring role on "The X-Files"?

I watch Jeopardy every night when I can, going back to the Art Fleming days.

This one hurts. I passed the Jeopardy in-person audition twice and they never called me to be on the show. Lucky for me, since the second time I would likely have run into Ken Jennings.