R.I.P. Alan White of Yes

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Holic
Alan White was such a great drummer. It might be impossible for Bill Bruford to come back to Yes, since he has been retired for years now. But Alan will always be a great drummer. I hope he and Chris Squire are playing together in rock heaven.

studio

Poster Extraordinaire
To be in the same group for 50 years just shows us how comfortable he was with playing some of the most sophisticated rock music around.

Big fan of that Squire/White team. I first saw Yes in 1975 at The Hollywood Bowl.

Thanks Alan, for all the great music!

Believer

Tele-Meister
I don't mean to quibble, but Bruford was on Close to the Edge. He left after it was recorded. Alan White played the tour.

I remember seeing the concert film Yessongs in the theater as a teen. I really enjoyed that.
The Close to the Edge tour was the first time I saw Yes (Junior year in High School). Alan White was indeed the drummer. It was a magical experience in Memphis, Tennessee. Thanks for the clarification.

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I was very sad when I learned about Alan's passing. I knew he was ill because "Yes Official" posted about a week ago that he would not be joining a coming tour and Jay S. would be handling drums. I guess Alan was more ill that many folks realized. I was a "Yes Head" from the time I was a young teenager, so when folks like Chris and now Alan have passed on, it sucks a little more for sure.

WelhavenTW

Tele-Meister
Yes is one of my favourite bands, so it’s sad to hear.

I’ve been listening a lot to Keystudio lately. Great album, sadly they made the mistake to put the songs as bonus material on Keys to Ascension 1 and 2.

«Wakeman himself worried the studio tracks would get lost among the live music if they were marketed together. Commenting with hindsight in 2003, guitarist Steve Howe felt this is exactly what happened with the studio music of both KTA albums.

Keystudio was released 21 May 2001. It achieved no chart status in any nation, and as a compilation of past material, garnered little attention in the way of reviews».

MatsEriksson

Friend of Leo's
Does anyone remembers the sole soul solo (!) album he did? "Ramshackled" in 1975? Totally opposite to anything prog and Yes, and the Yes fans loathed it. I grew to like it. Hired black musicians and singers, a little bit of R&B, and so totally off the beaten track.

RIP Alan!

I hope it is not the Oasis drummer you meant...

421JAM

Tele-Afflicted
Wish I had seen Yes more times. I only saw the weird Union tour they did in 1991 where most of the current and former members all toured together and swapped in and out for different songs. My eyes were mostly on Bruford at that show, so in a sense I never really saw Alan White. He was an excellent player. Underrated and somewhat unknown considering how many noteworthy recordings outside of Yes he played on. All Things Must Pass, Imagine, lots of rock, prog, and jazz sessions. One of my favorite non-Yes things he did was Eddie Harris' "E.H. in the U.K." album.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
From Yes's official Facebook page...

"It is with deep sadness that YES announce Alan White, their much-loved drummer and friend of 50 years, has passed away, aged 72, after a short illness. The news has shocked and stunned the entire YES family. Alan had been looking forward to the forthcoming UK Tour, to celebrating his 50th Anniversary with YES and their iconic Close To The Edge album, where Alan’s journey with YES began in July 1972. He recently celebrated the 40th Anniversary of his marriage to his loving wife Gigi. Alan passed away, peacefully at home."
Wow . . . . Yes was one of my faves in the 70s. The lineup changed from time to time, but they always were amazing.

Frisco 57

Tele-Holic
I had the opportunity to have a phone conversation with Alan White in the mid 90's. He was a very nice and considerate man!

This is very sad news indeed! RIP Alan White.

Rowdyman

Tele-Holic
Saw them in Ottawa in 72. They were excellent. I guess that was probably Bruford.
They opened for Alice Cooper and Black Sabbath.
Best $5.00 I ever spent on a ticket, RM