R.E.M. - do we talk about them?

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
I was into their early stuff big time. They lost me after "Document."

I saw them in Atlanta at one of their annual Thanksgiving shows at the Fox Theater. That would've been around 1987. Great show to a very receptive audience. I remember Michael Stipe kept removing his shirt, only to reveal another shirt underneath. I think he went through about 5 shirts until he was down to a T-shirt. I'm sure this had some significance, but not sure what.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Do we talk about them? Well.... you can if you want I guess ;) Actually I did kind of like a couple of songs from their early stuff, a long time ago, but never really got into em I suppose.

standup

Tele-Meister
Athens, GA is my home town, so they were huge for me. Bought all the early records up until Green I think. Saw them a bunch, at a free outdoor show at the university, teen night at a local bar, later in bigger venues. I’ve been mostly a bass player for most of the time since, but Pete Buck and Mike Mills both influenced my learning and playing music a lot.

Linderflomann

Tele-Meister
Although they were absolutely huge, it almost seems like they're underrated at this point. Not talked about all that much.

I loved their early records, they sounded mysterious and haunting and I could never quite figure out what they were singing about. Athens, GA might be a fairly ordinary place (I have no idea) but it seemed exotic to this European teenager.

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
There is something about the singers voice that just grates with me, irritatingly annoying. I can't rationalize on why I feel this way, and frankly couldn't be bothered too. So I flip the dial whenever I hear it.

I don't think it's any great secret that Stipe can be "pitchy."
I feel this way, but about Oasis.

"Wonderwall" has made me grind my teeth since the first time I heard it.

Back on topic,
I like REM a lot. I've always wanted to learn a couple of their hits.

standup

Tele-Meister
I had the extreme good fortune to start at the University of Georgia (and dig into the incredible Athens music scene) right before they started getting famous. Their first few albums are powerful memory triggers for me, especially Chronic Town and Murmur.

My first gig ever was at the 40 Watt Clüb in Athens, opening for Love Tractor.

Cyberi4n

Tele-Afflicted
love REM, although I hated them when they released Automatic for the People. Grew into them in the mid to late nineties and really like their later stuff. I quite like their early stuff, but not the recordings per-se, I'm not so keen on engineering and the mixes. I've seen them live a couple of times and they put on a really good show both times. I was genuinely gutted when they called it a day, and I can admit that they're one of the bands I really do miss. I wish they'd gone out with a tour to say goodbye to the world, although I can understand why they did it this way.

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
I liked ‘em a lot. Peter Buck was great, the band put out some amazing sounds. Some of the arrangements and lyrics were a little too artful for my ears, but so what! A great contrast to some of the highly synthetic stuff happening in the 80’s.

yegbert

Poster Extraordinaire

I drove east across the US in ‘93, taking the southern route. I drove through Athens. Unfortunately, Walter’s BBQ was closed; the building still stood.