"R-Day" has arrived...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DavidP, Sep 1, 2019.

1. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Well, as of Sept. 1 2019 I'm officially retired after 40 yrs in the saddle as a university professor... Don't feel like the cosmos has transformed (yet); expect it won't really hit until classes start in a couple days.

My preoccupation can now be my 'occupation' -- new alt-country band ready to gig, will make a "Uncle Dave's Guitar and Amp Repair" sign, and I'll be checking in here a lot more often!

Now its how I go through the first week of the transition -- if it applies, what did you do in that first week of retirement???

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Bravo!
    Enjoy your new life!

3. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Moose head Beer, and lots of it! :lol:

4. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Congrats! I have a year or so to go, my choice. Enjoy yourself above all and take care of your health.

5. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

first day , Tuesday will feel like you're playing hookie, but you will perservere!

congrats

6. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

Congrats! I reached the 'R' day 12 years ago. The first week I played a lot of guitar and golf.

The freedom of time is the greatest benefit, IMHO. Nothing has to be done or finished today. Too cold, too hot, rain? No problem, can do it tomorrow.

7. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

First week into retirement I threw my back out clearing some trees from my property; something I'd anticipated finally having the time and energy to accomplish when no longer working. I laid on the couch for three agonizing weeks recovering and contemplating the fact that I may have started working full-time when I was 22 years old, but something called aging had happened in the intervening 40+ years that had sapped me of my former super powers. Then at some point the irony of the fact that if I was still employed, I could be collecting sick pay for the time I was injured hit me and I almost lost my mind.

Finally, after a month I re-started my retirement with a healthy dose of moderation and restraint helping to guide me. Six years later, I'm loving every minute of the big R. I hope your experience will be as enjoyable and productive as you imagine it will be, and without the initial pain of transition that I experienced.

Congrats and good luck to you!! Just watch your back.

VWAmTele and nojazzhere like this.
  8. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

Enjoy retirement. I have since April 16, 2015.

9. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

Congratulations!!! I still have about 2 years to go and I can't wait. My wife has been retired for 5 years and is much more relaxed than i. Then again, she has a pension from work and I've got nada.

10. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

3 years in. First two I did nothing. This year I got a consulting job and hope it continues through next year. Unless you've laid out a plan I think it gets old pretty soon. At least that was how it was for me.

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

About two years for me, from teaching public school Special Ed. I used to worry about having enough to do to fill the time.....but the problem is actually having enough time to take care of "stuff". I retired when I did because my (then) 92 year-old mother was needing more and more care and attention, and I had been injured by a 350+ lb. student who lost control and "attacked" me. I COULD have continued teaching, but I think it was Mother Nature telling me it was time to move on. I did, and don't regret it for a second. Just keep getting up in the morning, "get on with it", and always remember.....everything you work at now is for you.....not someone else. ;)

P Thought likes this.
  12. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Congratulations! I'm starting my second year of no school on Tuesday. At first last year it seemed weird not to be working. Now it seems weird to spend my time working, though I think I'll do some substituting, both for the bucks and for the giggles; the dental insurance ain't at all what it was, and I need a couple implants.

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I retired January 18, 2019. The first week I did whatever I wanted. I continue to repeat that. I went to Martinfest the first week in August and visited our daughter in DC. It is fantastic doing what you want when you want.

I still feel like I am in the shallow end of the pool but enjoy everyday. Things I have wanted to do for a few months to a few years slowly get done. Weird example. I had an old trolling motor laying on the floor of my garage. I found my Roundtuit to list it on Facebook Market and get it out of my garage. Also, I do more yard work which is shocking to me because that is not my thing. But, I have more time and can do anything I want.

14. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Congratulations, Dr P. I noticed the Vancouver location. Were you at UBC? Simon Frazier? I'm curious how intelligent people fare in a new life without the same level of intellectual stimulation as before. I'll be walking out the door for the last time 10 months from now at 70 after many years living in the quantum (probabilistic) universe where few around me understand what I do. My stimulation now comes in intense packets of energy but at least it still comes. Please keep us posted on how it goes for you. A guitar and amp repair shop for you? I guess if I could learn non-linear optics mostly on my own (the field didn't exist when I was in school) I can learn to solder an amp. I hope so. I'll have a lot of time on my hands.

15. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats david.
    You'll ease into retirement well I'm betting.
    A couple of years ago I couldn't fathom retirement, now I go into full-on retirement mode when I have 3 day weekend.

16. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I spent the first week, and 5 years worth of weeks after, in cancer treatment. I'm ok now but I wasn't ready to retire. I'm just getting my retirement legs now and starting to enjoy it!

Oh, and I still get confused with stat holidays 'cus EVERY DAY is like a stat holiday. ;)

17. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes, agreed, everyday is Saturday. I try not to shop on weekends or after dinner so those who do work can have the stores. Also, they are more crowded at those times.

18. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I tried that for 2 years, but I was too young and it didn't take. Basically, I always dreamt of not having to set an alarm clock nor be anywhere unless I wanted to, but I ended up wasting my days away instead. At some point I realized that I am not the retired type, I need to have sturcture and a place to go every day or I don't get anything done and just sit around eating. I'll try it again some day, but never see myself fully retired.

Congrats on reaching that place in your life and being smart enough to have planned so that you can afford to do it...that is a very grand accomplishment. I hope you enjoy your time and do better than I did. I just don't think everyone is cut out for retirement.

19. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Congrats. Love life after “working” for your life

20. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Congratulations and enjoy the music!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.