1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Quoted $150 by a local luthier for a complete fret job

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by itskohler, Jan 18, 2021.

1. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

This, absolutely.

It's now exactly a year since I took my 30th birthday present* to a local shop for a refret. He made a complete mess of it, frets lifted up soon after and I'm sure they weren't levelled and were very rough. Unfortunately I didn't take time to properly inspect it when I picked it up, so no chance of a refund after I'd paid.

I took it to another guy I've used in the past (he re-fretted my 17th birthday present** and did a beautiful job). He found that the binding had been carved away as well as the generally poor job. He has had to sand the fingerboard after removing the 'new' frets and also replace the binding on the neck. As he knew I'd already paid once, he said he'd do it as a 'fill in' job, so he's still got it nearly 11 months later, but at least I know it'll be good when it comes back.

Lesson learnt as I should have asked the local shop to show me some of their work first.

* It's only a 90s Epiphone Les Paul, but sentimental value.
    ** 1982 Japanese Vintage Squier Stratocaster, as above. This plays as well as any Strat I've played, including some very expensive ones I tried recently.

2. itskohler

itskohler TDPRI Member

Again, didn't go with the violin luthier and went the shop he recommended, which happens to he the second shop I went to originally.

Went in a bit ago since I was in the neighborhood and switched to nickle. Went with medium-mediums. Originally thought I'd want jumbo until I played some, not for me.

StevesBoogie likes this.
  3. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

if this is in Melbourne, lemme know the info!!

my luthier costs 450-500!!!

4. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Holic

Aperio refretted 5 necks for me last year and all are fantastic.

5. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I knew the Aperio name sounded familiar.

Last June I was in the market for a SS refret of my Tele and my local luthier had a 60 day turnaround. I stumbled upon the Aperio Guitar website and found it fascinating that somebody is making a business out of specializing in SS refretting.

I found the website pretty impressive, and during my lunch break on a hot June day, I decided to call the number on the website and I simply thought I was going to get an office clerk or somebody.

A gentleman picked up on the second ring and was instantly helpful. After five minutes I asked how long he was with the company and he informed me he was the owner and his name is Greg! We ended up chatting for 30 minutes. He informed me that business was so good that they were in the middle of revamping/reprovisioning extra warehouse space to accommodate all of the business he was getting.

The only reason I ended up not going with Greg was that my Martin needed a neck reset, and that is my local luthier's specialty, so I decided to kill two birds with one stone on that front.

But I came away totally impressed with Greg and his business.

6. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

Violins don't have frets, so...:D

7. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

This particular guy is in Wollongong

8. Don Rich Rules

Don Rich Rules Tele-Meister

Here on Long Island a fret job cost any where from $300 to $500.

9. itskohler

itskohler TDPRI Member

Frustrating day. The shop owner called and said due to unforseen circumstances they can't do the job. When I was there to pick it up he looked pretty stressed, and there was a line up of 15 or so cases with customer tickets. A few of us were there at the same time to grab out guitars. I guess his luthier is at home sick and looking after his even more sick wife. Felt bad for even being frustrated.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.