1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Quit smoking

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dreadnut, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

Good work, and good work to everyone else who has quit, it's a nasty habit that slowly kills you so as a smoker, not smoking as a very smart but difficult think to do.

Keep it up all of you.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

I quit smoking 5 times for over a year, and started back up every time.

In 1997 they hit $17.00 a carton, and that gave me the extra incentive I needed to finally quit.

Greggorios and nojazzhere like this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Good on ya’!
    I’m a quitter, twice!;)
    The last one, in 2004, worked.

Greggorios and nojazzhere like this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I'm curious....what hypnosis seminar did you use? I went to a Damon and Grace thing. It was recommended by a friend who'd used it. (and eventually started smoking again :( )
    It was a large ballroom in a convention center, with probably several hundred people.....I just KNEW it couldn't work! But the experience was wonderful and relaxing, and, like I said, I WANTED it to work.

5. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Friend of Leo's

Hey if you look close, it's even a collared shirt!

Cigarettes are addictive, self-administered poison and they should be outlawed. OK, I will get off my soapbox now.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. Jlwctn

Jlwctn Tele-Meister

Red Man... Skoal...Copenhagen...Cigars...Good Ol' Camel Studs... the first smoke I stole as a teenager and the last I smoked 17yrs ago... I kept coming back to them because nothing else would do. I was going outside to smoke, and I would smoke 2 while I was out there.
    Within an hour, I was Jonesin' again.
    Tobacco Junkie.
    I had to do something.
    I quit with the Patch.
    I know, that's still nicotine.
    Here's why it worked. There is the addictive substance, nicotine, tied to the Habit of shaking one out of the pack, putting it in your mouth, lighting it and smoking it. Ritualistic routine.
    The cigarette is a Nicotine Delivery Device associated with the hand to mouth habit, and other habits. The Patch provides an alternative delivery system for the nicotine so that the smoker can "unlearn" the ingrained habits.
    The Patch was advertised as a 6 week step down system. I tried this way and failed. That was not enough time to eliminate my Habit, nor was there enough nicotine at the step down point to stop my craving.
    My solution was to use the patch full strength until I lost my Habit. I used the patch at full strength for way over a month. I put it in the same place every time because it started faster. If I needed a "blast" of nicotine, I Slapped the Patch, increasing blood flow to the surface of the skin to interact with the patch. When I did that, I could "smell" or "taste" the chemical in my system. Very Interesting.
    None of my actions fall within the "Recommended Guidelines" printed on the box. They provide no alternatives other than failure, and the return to smoking. There is more Profit for the Nicotine manufacturers in Failure than in Success.
    It wasn't long at all before I no longer had any desire to go out into the winter weather simply to get My Nicotine.
    When my Ritualistic habits went away, I knew then that I could start stepping down. Getting used to being weaned off of nicotine was not the challenge that it once was. After being on a Smaller patch, I never felt like I needed a "Big Patch" again. I remember after stepping down, and being on a low level, forgetting to put a patch on, and it wasn't a big deal.
    I knew then that I was Free.
    I haven't gone back.

JL_LI, MickM and P Thought like this.
  7. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

OP, Good luck with that...:D:D

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Won't do any good, if it did people wouldn't be using drugs. Or, jaywalking for that matter. I quit smoking in 1988. A couple of tobacco company reps had to change their retirement dates, and their kids had to go to public schools.

nojazzhere, Jlwctn and MickM like this.
  9. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I quit in 1989. I drank a large glass of water every time I craved a smoke and it helped me to ignore the craving. Best thing I ever did.

Greggorios and Jlwctn like this.
  10. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I quit for 8 months about 5 years ago. Lately I'm down to 10 or less cigarettes each day, but usually 4 to 5. Just can't seem to stop it but if I don't I'll be out of lungs shortly. Already have COPD/emphysema.

11. Jlwctn

Jlwctn Tele-Meister

17 yrs, and I just had that dream again this morning.

12. Blue Ass Fly

Blue Ass Fly TDPRI Member

18 years ago come may i stopped
    A mate at work was doing a thing through his gp where he had patches and a weekly group meet
    The thing that stuck in my mind was that he said he was now an ex smoker , not someone trying to give up as youll ‘try’ forever
    I rolled my last one when i ran out of backie , through my lighters and ashtrays away and changed everything i associated with a smoke
    One with a cuppa tea first thing- i had a coffee
    One after evening meal- i got up and did the dishes etc
    From what people said i was very calm and didnt realise till a while after that i had stopped biting my finger nails
    Dont know where all the money i saved is though

Jlwctn likes this.
  13. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It was put on as part of The Learning Annex in NYC in the 90s. Learning Annex was an ongoing "mini course" adult education school. The hypnosis seminar may have been associated with the "Green Method", a smoking cessation brand at that time, but that's just a guess. My experience was similar to yours in that I was skeptical about how effective it could be but I was also committed to quitting. I had a casual interest in NLP (neuro linguistic programing, i.e. hypnosis) at the time and understood that the key is "buying into" the process. So I paid my $55.00 and sat in a room with about 60 other people, listened and took the literature and audio tape home. I also found the seminar peaceful and relaxing. I did my readings, played the tape "affirmation" and followed the instructions. It got me through that first critical 72 hours and after that I really didn't have any overwhelming desire to light up again. I was actually kind of amazed that despite that first few days being "uncomfortable" it really wasn't that big of a deal and I was mad at myself for waiting so long. Wish I'd done it much sooner.

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Big thumbs up to all that quit! it's tough to do. Probably easier to get off heroin. I was a 3 pack a day man, sometimes more, sometimes less. I used Chantex, but even with that it took at least 3 times on it. I'm clean I guess about 8 years now. I have COPD as a result, it's not good but I feel it at times, get out of breath. My wife is clean for 12 years now. We're in our 60's, I started when I was 14, she was probably 13. We're lucky that we're still here.

15. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Reminds me of a suggestion I got to cut up plastic straws into cigarette sized pieces. Each time you'd get a craving you'd take a couple "puffs" on the straw. It basically used muscle memory to fake out your system. By "play puffing" your lungs and the associated muscles get faked out into thinking you're smoking and the craving passes. It really worked.

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I stopped in 1978. I was looking for a roommate my senior year of college and my buddy said only if you quit smoking. I said okay. One of the best accidental decisions I ever made.

I remember in college we knew a place outside of town where you could buy a carton for $5.00. Now a pack can be $5.00. I also remember playing tennis and being out of breath. I actually think the no breath pushed me over the edge to quit. I was probably a half a pack a day smoker.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    Jlwctn, Greggorios and nojazzhere like this.
  17. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Friend of Leo's

When I was in the Navy, out at sea there was no US tax on tobacco so I was getting a carton of Marlboro Reds for $1.10. Not much excuse for people to bum cigarettes at that price.

Then in The Philippines you could buy Marlboros on the street for one peso, but the real ones cost 5 pesos.

Jlwctn likes this.
  18. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

A "crutch" we had was simply taking a long, deep breath when we felt the cravings.
    Don't know how many times that first week I almost passed out from hyperventilating! ;)

Jlwctn and Greggorios like this.
  19. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Friend of Leo's

I had my last cigarette on the way to the hospital with chest pains. Drove myself, of course. No heart attack, but severe angina, 3 shots of morphine later the pain subsided. Went through all the required tests and a few days later they gave me 5 coronary artery bypasses. My recovery was somewhat impeded by the fact that I'd been a smoker for 25 years.

That experience will definitely give you second thoughts about smoking...

Jlwctn and dogmeat like this.
  20. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

I quit 20+ years ago, don't remember exactly. I smoked for about 30 years, mostly Camel straights and Lucky Strikes. done with that BS forever. cutting back on weed too.... smoked my last "J" in '74... ha ha.... Martigras! great story, but too long

Jlwctn likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.