Quit my job today. No brainer to leave, really. (just need to vent a bit)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by O- Fender, Feb 6, 2012.

1. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

I'm not in bad financial shape, I needed a bit of cash flow so I got a job with a delivery company. The job required using my car and delivering everything, mostly food, around the city.

I worked a Saturday ("Our busy night") and Sunday ("The Superbowl, our biggest night of the year") and a bit of today. I got a percentage of the delivery charge.
    I told the guy who owned the business that I totaled up what I made Saturday and Sunday and, even with tips, I earned about 3.60 per hour. That's not including gas. He just said I have to be patient and stick with it, I'll get the hang of it. Then, in talking to him, I learned a few things, each a red flag:

1) "on a good day, you'll have a one hundred dollar day". Which sounds great on the surface but he said "a good day" not "a typical day". So, $100 subtract gas for an 8 hour shift and other expenses, that's not really much over minimum wage.

2) "You'll make a lot in tips". I worked a busy day and the busiest day of the year. Tips for both: $24.

3) I figured it out that I would have to gross $145, in order to net minimum wage with $10 for gas (which might be too low). During both "busy" days, total, I didn't gross half of that.

4) I was going to be working a lot of day shift. "If you need time off for a doctor appointment or something, try make it the afternoon, from 1 to 4, things slow right down." In other words, business is dead for half of the shift.

5) The boss said he does a lot of delivering himself. He wants to hire more people to cut down on the amount of hours he works because he hasn't had a vacation in 12 years. He usually works 9am to midnight, Noon to 10 Sundays. He said this like it was something to be proud of. He has a wife and three kids and admitted that he missed out on a lot of time with them. He's just figuring out now that he should get his priorities straight?

I told him this wasn't the job for me. He said something to the effect that I just have to work harder. I thanked him for giving me a shot at this and walked away with no hard feelings. I spent the afternoon feeling like I was a jerk but that was because I like the guy and I feel sorry for him. I kept repeating to myself that I have to look out for me, my wife and dogs. The kids have to fend for themselves. I'm joking, no kids.

His advice to work harder really stuck with me. I know the importance of hard work but if you're working for peanuts (like I did for two days and half a shift) or working 15 hour days for 12 years, with no vacation and missing out on a large part of life, it's not worth it. I almost feel like calling the guy and talk some sense into him. (dumb idea, I know. I won't do it.) By the way, I didn't do anything in the 3 1/2 hours I was there today, the phones were silent. I have no idea how he or his drivers make any money.

Now the punchline; I have to go back to searching for a job, something I hate.

Not looking for sympathy, in fact I'm feeling upbeat. Just need to vent and I've done enough of that all evening to my poor wife. (bless her, she listens patiently) My dogs have heard the story several times (bless them, they listen patiently, too). They've gone to bed and I just needed to vent a bit more.

2. MonkeyKing

MonkeyKing Tele-Meister

It`s always a happy time to be moving forward!

3. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like a smart move to me. You're choosing to work smarter not harder.

4. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

A new start is often a good thing. Something better is out there.

5. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

The only reason you can make $ on that model is the mileage deduction. 55.5 cents per mile means you'll pretty much not be paying any taxes on the job; you'll likely post a loss.

When I was driving, I grossed as much as $12k in a month and the mileage deduction alone pretty reliably put me in the negative for taxable income. In fact, it was enough to completely offset my wife's full-time job at the end of the year. Granted, I drove a lot... But it's still significant even in pizza delivery.

Anyway... You can make money in delivery, but it's not for everyone.

6. Agave_Blue

Agave_Blue Friend of Leo's

Your boss has described one dillema under-lying any "family owned" "retail" business - you've got to be open all the time and that takes a big bite out of your family/personal life. Just how it is.

As far as your situation, I don't blame you one bit. If it isn't going to pay off for you, find something that does.

7. PeteMac

PeteMac Friend of Leo's

:eek: . . . so . . . $100 (maybe) is a good day !!!

Wow ! I couldn't cover my rent and utilities with that !

We are all in slavery to this system . . . some more-so, some a little less so . . .

8. MrAstro

MrAstro Tele-Afflicted

From the way you communicated your story and the way you arrived at your decision I can tell you are sensible and logical. There will no doubt be something better out there for you - eventually you will find it.

There would be a lot of people on TDPRI (myself included) who have been out of work for a while at some stage of their lives. Something will definitely come along - don't get down about it and treat looking for you next job like it is actually your job.

Hope everything goes well for family and yourself. Keep your chin up mate.

9. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Quit my job today,
    A no brainer to leave.
    really, I just need to vent a bit,
    I wear my heart upon my sleeve..

got any chords for that?. sounds like a good opening to a blues number...

something to work on in your spare time, perhaps?...;)

10. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

In the end it is always the RESULT & the productivity that counts not the hard work.

Greeks (at least in the private sector) work the longest and hardest hours in Europe (way more than the Germans that are the nr.1) but look what has happened to our country and look at Germany....

11. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

Working harder & its rewards is all relative in relations to the organization.

12. Thundersleet

Thundersleet Tele-Afflicted

I can hear George Thorogood singing that in my head.

To the OP, it sounds like a paper route would be more profitable. For the boss to do it for peanuts is a different story. It's his business that's being supported.

13. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

The days of being rewarded for hard work are in the past. Seems like the brown nosers and back stabbers are the ones that get ahead lately.

14. Thundersleet

Thundersleet Tele-Afflicted

Where I work add in family members and you have a complete picture.

15. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Tele-Afflicted

2-1/2 days? :lol:

That's by no means long enough to get the hang of a new job, or to know if you'll be successful at it. Commission-type work is hard enough under the best of circumstances.

IMO, you did the boss a favor by leaving. He needs someone who needs the job, and there are plenty of people out there who want it badly enough to make it work.

No idea how old you are, what kind of education or training you have, or past work experience. I do hope you have some skills to get you more than minimum wage; you have a wife and dogs to feed. :lol:

16. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Hey, they're legitimate career options; there's always an opening for a brown noser.

17. mildwild

mildwild Tele-Afflicted

I am looking for a job, as well no fun at any any age luckily there is helpl. What part of Canada are you in ?

18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, the bright spot is that there's plenty of other jobs out there so I'm sure you won't have any problems...

19. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

He meant work harder for HIM!

20. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

Sometimes working smart trumps working hard.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.