Quit drinking last weekend...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Axegrinder77, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Bob Sushko

Bob Sushko TDPRI Member

This is an important post really, as a bar band musician how do you avoid places that are attached to drinking?

I suck at drinking! But I struggle with it every day practically, and after 40 years of playing and drinking/partying the psychological association is solid!

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Playing weekly in bars for a number of years played no small role in my desire/need to eventually quit, so I completely understand what that's all about. I wish I had an answer for you, but I quit gigging in '98, and didn't finally quit drinking until 2005. I could easily go out and play in bars now without any concern with temptations, but I don't think I would have had much success quitting if I was still in that environment at the same time.

If I were in that situation, though, I would probably just let my bandmates know that I was trying to avoid alcohol and lean on them for support when needed. The guys I worked with would've been supportive all the way, but that's not always the case.

3. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

A friend of mine currently a very successful slide musician for the last 40 years said he was given a simple gift when he first started.

He started playing with a bunch of professionals that were serious at doing their best and believed sobriety was essential to giving a good if not great performance. It has led him to the top and kept him in demand.

Playing in a band is WORK and all the normal rules should apply, but why do musicians think differently?

Note: In the case of playing bars you're there to entertain or you wouldn't be there in the first place. God has my back and never leaves me even though I tried to hide in the shadows.

tubedood and preactor like this.
  4. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

drinking daily is alcoholism and that's the truth...coming to grips with it and deciding you need to change is the most difficult self examination ...sobriety does enhance this life experience so much and my respect goes out to all that take on the challenge

preactor and Axegrinder77 like this.
  5. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

I got sober in 1976, after the biggest drunk of the Bicentennial 4th of July.

I went 5 years without AA and then hit the wall. I was a mess I checked into a rehab and have been moving forward ever since. I still attend meetings. For me, the truth was that there is more to this not drinking business than just not drinking. I was an addiction professional for nearly 30 years before I retired.

I have found that there are many ways to recover from alcoholism, and that is fine. AA is not for everyone, but it does a great job at what it does.

I was in very bad shape when I finally was able to stop. I found it terrifying to want to quit and not be able to. I was 50 pounds overweight, my Liver was distended and I had an enormous "Milwaukee Tumor" I couldn't finish a glass of draft beer before I became drunk.

Not everyone who drinks is alcoholic, and not everyone who gets a DUI is an alcoholic.

That being said, if you find that booze or drugs is interfering with your ability to be close to people, especially those you love, you might consider avoiding alcohol and drugs. Going on the "Marijuana Maintenance" program is a bad idea as well.

Going back to drinking will not bode well if you have crossed the line into dependence. "Once a Pickle, Never a Cucumber again"

Deeve and telemnemonics like this.
  6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I failed for the exact same reason that Mr. White did, but it wasn't nearly as funny for me, as it was when he told it.

String Tree likes this.
  7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Any out of control behaviour is worrisome, including drinking to excess.

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Interestingly, in 12 step program, we learn and teach to not give opinions, instead offering our experience.
    Of course I can only speak for what I have been taught and how I see the 12 Traditions cautioning members against stating opinions on issues outside of the program. Non members drinking is outside the program!

Your opinion that "drinking daily is alcoholism" has its place I suppose, but it does not come from 12 step programs!

As a member of a 12 step program I do not offer my opinion on drinking and drugging outside of programs, on alcohol and drug laws, on other treatment programs.
    I might say that I don't agree that every drinker is an alcoholic, and I will say that we consider someone who cannot stop drinking or drugging is welcome to join and we will try to help them. The individual has to decide for themselves if they are an addict or an alcoholic.
    This may take years and much may be lost, but 12 step programs are not for people who NEED them.
    12 Step programs are for people who WANT them.

The 12 steps says If you want what we have to offer and are willing to make the effort to get it, these are the principles that made our recovery possible.

That's about it folks!
    We don't define your problem, we only work on solving our own problem.

Even if a man who has asked me to be his sponsor is considering doing something I consider risky and stupid for his recovery, I will not tell him not to do it, because I was taught not to give my opinion in recovery.
    I will share my experience if I have any on the issue.
    If I know from experience that the idea is common and usually goes bad, I will share what I've seen happen over and over.
    But a man or a woman in recovery has to learn to make their own hard choices that are different from the old choices that brought them to a 12 step program.

Of course 12 step programs are populated by all sorts of people and many are far from applying the 12 step and 12 Tradition program in their lives or in conversation.

Durn, this is hard.
    Worth the effort though I think.
    Yeah that was an opinion...

Deeve likes this.
  9. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's

Very little of My drinking took place in bars, esp where playing music.
    If being in the bar is part of work, then Work while there - the band's job is to Sell the beer, not drink it.
    Watching those who Do drink the beer also helps me get another sober day - well, some of the drinkers, anyway.

If the band members get drink tix, passing yours along to another who is not troubled by drink is a nice thing to do.
    At one place we were all given guitar strings - the keyboard player didn't need 'em, so I got an extra set...

Peace - Deeve

10. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Constant Sobriety comes to mind... :eek:

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I was thinking sex or drinking or sex or drugs or sex or gambling or sex

telemnemonics likes this.
  12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There's a 12 step program for each of those excesses, and at two different 12 step programs for the one you mention multiple times!

13. Gigante_Miguel

Gigante_Miguel Tele-Meister

Sounds like you made the right choice. I’ve been in your shoes, and I’ve never looked back. Best choice I ever made.

preactor likes this.
  14. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

And I am lucky to be wired with a switch that told me I’d had enough and boom, I was finished. And others , like you, are wired for “one drink is too many and ten is not enough”. It’s a mysterious thing, but good that you are aware of it and that moderation is not possible.

15. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I haven't had a drink for nearly 2 years, maybe more. I just wasn't enjoying it, and was sick and tired of wasting money on hangovers that would kick start a 4 day depression afterwards.

stevemc, preactor and Bones like this.
  16. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

17. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

[Q

Going back to drinking will not bode well if you have crossed the line into dependence. "Once a Pickle, Never a Cucumber again"[/QUOTE]

I guess Joe Cocker was a heavy alcoholic, after getting sober, he continued drinking in moderation...probably an exception to the rule..

18. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

This pretty much is how a stopped drinking almost 30 years ago. Didn't put a lot of thought or energy into it. Just felt that I deserved better for myself and the time I have on this planet. Next thing you know almost 30 years has passed, but I can still remember very vividly what a hangover feels like and how it feels to sleep with one foot on the floor to try to stop the sensation of the bed spinning.

Fendereedo likes this.
  19. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Absolutely agree. I really don't miss it at all. I can go out with other people drinking, and don't even think about it these days. Plus, no one comments on me drinking fruit juice anymore.

20. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

So how was your week? Did you have a hard time staying dry.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.