Quit drinking last weekend...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Axegrinder77, Oct 17, 2019.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Bacon is doing more damage to my body than alcohol.

stevemc and imwjl like this.
  2. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

Non alcoholic adults don't have these things happen to them. If you really want to quit acknowledging your problem is the the most important thing you can do. Best wishes for a sober life. Quitting drinking is the best thing I ever did.

3. BigDaddyLH

Alcoholism is bad and my sympathies go out to people who struggle with alcohol consumption. I am not trying to minimize their plight.

That said, most people are not alcoholics, and it's not constructive to believe this.

Should only alcoholics post to this thread? An honest question.

4. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I think most are not or my circles of associates and demographic disguise it.

That said, this shocked me recently. One young lower tier manager said his drinking became what it is when learned the word Incel and realized he is one but didn't exactly choose it. He said no decent woman wants someone who can't make a decent wage and he doesn't want a non-decent woman himself. Part of the shock was his saying "that and drug testing is why we drink".

5. BigDaddyLH

Maybe he should concentrate on getting a job with a decent wage.

6. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I must confess that I love alcohol.
    I love a variety of wines.
    I love whiskey.
    I love ice cold beers.
    I have been drinking beer since I was four years old, whiskey since I was 17, and wine since I was 23 or so. And I'm 60 now.

That said, I am happy to report that I am going on 2 and 1/2 weeks with no alcohol whatsoever.
    (I last had a drink, a large can of Foster's Lager, on the 30th day of September.)

My reasons for going alcohol free?
    Too easy.

a. I have consumed enough in my lifetime to float a battleship.
    Enough beer to drown the Egyptians in the Red Sea.
    Enough whiskey to choke a horse.
    etc, etc

b. I have been suffering some short term memory issues, and I want to see if my cognitive abilities improve with some sobriety.

and,
    c. My liver has been telling me to quit.
    I literally could feel my liver over the past year, and it wasn't happy.
    And now, after 19 days sober, I cannot feel it anymore.

Is my memory any better, after such a short period of time sober?
    I really can't tell.
    But hope springs eternal.

At my last doctors visit, they told me that my liver was slightly enlarged, but there were no signs of disease or malfunction. But I was well on my way, I reckon.

Original poster, Axe?
    I'm with you.
    Let's try to hang tough together, mate.

;)

7. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Good on you and what better reason than the impression you'll be leaving for your child. The reason I quit years ago was because of the look on my daughters face when I came home intoxicated and I saw the look of apprehension because I didn't have the same countenance in appearance and she felt uneasy. That was the turning point for me and I quit drinking and getting high. My life is much better now for it and I feel great.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I would not suggest limiting who can post!

Here we see a member, the OP, has a problem and he and his family are at some amount of risk
    Given that we know what the mods have to do to keep this forum that we love in good repair, and given that a small argument usually grows into a problem the mods have to step in and fix; I try to avoid shooting the OP in the foot so to speak, by putting a sensitive discussion in jeopardy for the sake of argument.

I'll add that I have ignored scores of comments in many threads, suggesting that folks like me who "needed a program" to quit are in denial, lazy, of low moral character etc.
    I've also ignored or been very careful and non argumentative WRT the many comments in threads like this that state that 12 step programs are wrong and bad in numerous ways.

I've also over stepped plenty of times and gotten that message from the mods after they delete a post of mine:
    "You know better!"

So I try to keep both on my side of the line and on the mods side of the line here.

By my side of the line I mean I try not to judge others, or be baited into debates involving the judgement of others.
    Not perfectly though!

Bones likes this.
  9. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

That's always in mind and for the guy he really should have or still do more schooling or a certification. I think our more service oriented economy has a lot of people hitting ceilings where the robot resume reader is automatically eliminating some and in this particular area - a nice one - employers go for the many students who wish to stay. We have a major university, decent private college and the state's tech system flagship school. Where our cabin is would be considered kind of depressed by anyone's standards. There all wages are lower and employers also get to be picky.

I was at this guy's age when I finally finished college and they dug in to get advanced tech certifications so I also have a hard side that knows you can make moves to help your life. One way or another. I was surprised to see him drunk in public and smell alcohol when we walk in the building at 8 AM. The guy's rather close to the age when I changed a lot so I know it's possible.

10. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

I'm a little concerned about §2, too :eek::eek:...life without drinking at all would be boring...:cry:

Drinking in moderation (1/week/2L wine) is my palm tree island in the sun...

Coming home from work on a hot sunny friday afternoon with the weekend soundtrack on my Ipod,open the fridge, grab an ice-cold beer and feel how the grand spirit of alcohol slowly runs through your veins....WHAT could be better? :)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    thunderbyrd likes this.
  11. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

Wow,what a great and easy way to quit drinking!

I had a similar experience with quitting smoking.
    I was just a 1/week "party/alcohol smoker" and never touched a cigarette/drink during the week...in fact,I hated cigs..but after 2 beers my sense of taste starts to yearn for tabacco...

For the last 2 years I've begun more and more to think about how stupid/unhealthy it is, to smoke only in combination with alcohol ...
    In february, within 4 days, I became a 1/week "party vaper" .
    It worked/felt good right away...never smoked or missed a cig since then...

12. telemnemonics

Going from smoking to vaping?
    Kinda like going from beer to whiskey!
    So, do you bum a vape from whoever is at the bar?

preactor likes this.
  13. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

beer to whiskey??? I would say beer to coffee...

14. telemnemonics

15. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
    deleted by poster

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    telemnemonics likes this.
  16. Moudi1

Moudi1 TDPRI Member

Mosdef a lot of this going around. This is nothing new. Congrats to everybody in joining those of us who found a better way to live. I first stopped in 1987! for 5.5 years had some success with my music and fell back into the drink and drugs that I thought fueled my influences. I've been in and out ever since. Today I have 90 days which is a milestone in recovery.

17. telemnemonics

Good work getting 90 days again, I know how hard it usually is to get some time again when you were doing great in recovery but somehow fell back into using/ drinking.
    We can’t really say that to someone brand new to recovery or sobriety but it’s a painful reality.
    Getting sober seems hard but staying that way is the tricky part.
    Congrats on your 90 days!

18. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

It sure won't hurt to give sobriety a try.

If you add up all of the Bad things that can happen to your health, very few are made worse by not Drinking.

19. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

I had the Right to remain Silent. I simply didn't have the ability.
    - Ron White

20. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

Axegrinder. I wish you the best. My dad taught me a lesson of what NOT to do in life. You KNOW you are doing the right thing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.