Quit drinking last weekend...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Axegrinder77, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I have thoughts on all of this.

KWal likes this.
  2. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

Axe,

Hey buddy how are you doing? I'm trying to rebuild a tractor, but I haven't done that in over 20 years so it's getting interesting...starting a new hobby is what I do best - sticking with it is the big challenge:confused:

3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

good on you and Kudos , I was a similar story in my youth , I was dry for about 10 years , then afterwards I allowed my self 2 beers at a social event and on occasion a glass of wine with dinner , at last count I had a beer at the beginning of September , the first beer I've had in 3 years and I dont miss it. i decided I was going to control my drinking , it was not going to control me, I wish all the success in the world, sincerly.

4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

You do know that most alcoholics don't necessarily take delight in, but can drink for hours and hours, and not appear to be drunk? Some of them in a blacked out state? That's what separates the whiskey drinker from the beer crowd, the beer gets to where it just won't cut it, you can't drink enough of it to do any good. I'm not ragging on anyone, I believe in letting people make up their own minds, I just say what I did, and what I've seen. I know lots of people who have drank for at least all of their adult lives and lived long and full lives. Most of them though are rich, it's a lot easier to be an ongoing drunk, or enjoy social drinking if you're rich than if you're poor. When you're rich and drunk you car and driver comes 'round to pick you up and take you home. When you're a poor drunk, you're too cheap to call for an Uber, or a Taxi, so you jump in your car and head on home, where the cops get you beat you unconscious, throw you in jail, and it cost you between ten and twenty thousand dollars in legal fees, and fines instead of the fee for the Uber ride. If you're really poor, you can't pay for all of these things, and you end up serving time, then your troubles REALLY begin. There are many, many good reasons not to drink to excess, I can't think of ANY reason to do so.

tubedood and Keefsdad like this.
  5. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

And with that, we'll close for the evening with this:

Chiogtr4x and Toto'sDad like this.
  6. KWal

KWal Tele-Meister

It's truly a beautiful thought. However, the reality is that the world is inhabitated by a-holes and beautiful souls alike. With or without alcohol, crap stinks and evil exists. I'm not preaching or judging. My preference is to live life by the Golden Rule. YMMV.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Holic

:twisted: ouch.

telemnemonics and Toto'sDad like this.
  8. Toto'sDad

Believe me, events of my life have taught be that neither good nor bad seem to get the upper hand in this old world. Often times the old adage "only the good die young" has been THOUGHT to be proven by those affected. I was only musing on a what if moment. When I was a young man, and pretty naïve, I took some stuff to the county road camp for my little girl friend's brother who doing a little time for drunk and disorderly. One of the items was a bottle of cheap aftershave all that I could afford then. The guard looked in my bag, and snagged the shaving lotion and said, "aww naw, we don't allow no green lizard in here." I truly didn't know what he was talking about, and said so. He replied, the first guy that gets his hand on that bottle of after shave will drink it down like a soda pop. There are always those who know the dark side of the human race, and then there are those who will learn it.

KWal likes this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Just in fun, me and BD have been trading barbs for a long time. Not to worry, he'll get me back!

10. KWal

KWal Tele-Meister

I'm picking up what you're putting down, Amigo.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

I'm here to testify, them cops won't listen, but the tune is dead on!

12. ping-ping-clicka

with regard doing or not doing and others... is none of my business there is a program for people that interfere in the business of others, If I remember correctly it's called Alanon, enough with the good intentions, saving others from themselves, putting a chap on the right track, save a soul for Jesus, that sort of nonsense, well that's not my thing, making windows into the souls of others, I'm not in the changing-others business, waste of time, if I wanted to be told what to do and how to do it the right way, I would return to being a practicing catholic, but that is not an interest of mine.
    as a recovering addict-alcoholic I have a distant and distinct relationship With AA & NA, having attended 874,630,557 meets, maybe, I work very simple program I don't drink or use, and mind my own business.

P Thought, telemnemonics and Bones like this.
  13. ping-ping-clicka

;)I didn't think it was anything other than friendly, but it was a quality stinger.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

We strive for excellence in stingers!

15. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

Maybe you think you can drink without harming yourself but I know I can't.

So I won't.

Like John Fogerty said "That's your trip not mine".

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    Frodebro and Bones like this.
  16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

On a given day, are a majority of adults alcoholics or not alcoholics?

17. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

Of those drinking? I'd venture to guess alcoholics. Some not, and many in denial. (Especially if it's a Tuesday)

18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think the overwhelming percentage are not alcoholics.

Jim622 likes this.
  19. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

Maybe they don't think so but I bet they don't know what's really going on with their liver or heart as a result of their drinking.

I've seen too many younger people go under way before their time because of their drinking. One guy I watched die looked pitiful. He just stood around and looked at the ground and knew what was coming...

that's what I remember about him.

20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

An important note here: The mods are extending an extra courtesy in allowing this discussion, presumably because it might help a member or even all the members who are struggling with "the problem".

If we engage in debate and accusation over who has a problem, whether or not drinking is bad, and long winded descriptions of bad drinking behavior, the mods will have no choice but to shut it down.

I find it hard to not get sucked into debate, and to not get baited by argumentative comments.
    Plenty here is arguable, but those arguments are not allowed here, and really the whole discussion isn't even allowed.\
    So if we want the privilege of discussing the concern of a member who faces some hard choices, which can benefit many of us who might be getting to that point but have no place to learn there are options, and that lots of us have been through it; we really need to abstain from argument.

Debate is fun and I'm all about a good debate.
    But here it seems there is some risk to a family and a child, so supporting the OP by not endangering the discussion may be worthwhile.

Once again, if you don't have a problem we are not talking about you!

stevemc and Frodebro like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.