Quit drinking last weekend...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Axegrinder77, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Social drinkers acting like fools at a party or people destroying their lives with booze or people that have quit for decades.

Seems to be another one if I can think of it… Oh yeah -

people that have a couple over a couple hours, can hold their liquor, just have a conversation with people ,and then go home.

Some folks painting with 6 foot wide brushes up in here. Broad-brushing all over this mofo.

Never guess that this country was “settled” by Puritans.*

I always took great delight in being completely smashed back in the old days and people saying “oh my God you were ? you acted totally normal”

That’s what happens when you have the tolerance of an alcoholic without being one

*I know what you’re going to say, but let’s not get sidetracked…

Toto'sDad and telemnemonics like this.
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If it was me that sounded puritanical I didn't mean to suggest that drinking in moderation was bad.

In the context of a discussion about drinking too much and all the problems that come with drinking too much, I was merely pointing out that a life without drinking at all isn't as big a loss as a life without romance or a life without sight, hearing, legs etc.

I was also inspired by the posts suggesting that those who think it's time to stop due to problems they have with drinking; should find better ways to drink.
    Saying "everyone should find a way to drink" is no better or worse than saying "nobody really needs to drink to have a happy fulfilled life".

Threads like this are not commenting on those who "have a couple over a couple hours, can hold their liquor, just have a conversation with people, and then go home".
    I apologize if I sounded like I was commenting on "normal" people!

We kinda hope that
    >in a thread about those of us who have a problem<,
    we can talk about OUR problem without offending those who don't have a problem.

3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The Irish would have a problem with your second paragraph…:lol:

telemnemonics likes this.
  4. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister

I haven't touched a drop in over 15 years. There was no real problem, but I just liked it less and less. Soon I just stopped buying beer at home and started drinking soda when I was at a bar. I wish I had words of wisdom, but I just didn't do it anymore.

As long as you're not hurting anyone, enjoy yourself!

Bones, 8barlouie and Axegrinder77 like this.
  5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I am inspired. I think I will decide to quit drinking last weekend as well

telemnemonics likes this.
  6. blowtorch

(not this weekend)

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I used to drink too much. I still do, I used to as well.

blowtorch likes this.
  8. blowtorch

I don't drink any more.

Or any less...

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  9. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

There are only two requirements for being an alcoholic:

Drink habitually.

Drink to get drunk.

Denial is an accessory.

"I'm not one of those people."

"I can hold my liquor."

My grandfather didn't need no stinkin' Twelve Step program to quit. He only needed two or three steps. He rigged a noose, climbed a couple steps and stepped off.

My uncle John and my aunt Helen had his 'n' hers houses. John would go over to Helen's because she usually had a bottle. Helen would steal vegetables from John's garden when he wasn't home.

John would drink at Helen's until she threw him out. He was too drunk to walk that particular night so he crawled. Guy who ran him over thought he hit a dog.

Spirits don't weigh anything. Joe is perched on one of my shoulders, John on the other.

The accessories to alcoholism are justification, denial and avoidance.

Justification is why we drink.

Denial is why we're not one of those people.

Avoidance is the missing puzzle piece. It's often not obvious except in context of an otherwise completed puzzle.

By 1776 it was well known that it was safer to drink beer than it was to drink water. It wasn't well known that the privy can trickle into the well.

Anyone who drinks can be an alcoholic with a little bit of practice.

There are various levels to it. A few beers once in a while in school. Later, a six pack every evening after work. Work up to a tall whiskey followed by a twelve pack. Stretch Happy Hour out 'til it's all day and all night.

Parties are generally a mix of amateurs, professionals and folks who are somewhere in between. The harm is we co- mingle people who are or who will become alcoholics. We endorse and we enable their drinking.

A journalist asked Kurt Cobain what he was thinking when he was onstage.

Kurt replied,

"Less than you can possibly imagine."

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    GuitarKid and WilburBufferson like this.
  10. blowtorch

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

tery and Axegrinder77 like this.
  11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Chances are though, groggy and in need of coffee is as BAD as they/ we are going to feel all day!

GuitarKid and Axegrinder77 like this.
  12. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's

Been there, done that, got the tee shirt. I just stopped drinking because it got so that I don’t like the way it makes me feel. I’ll have a drink in a social setting. Rarely two. But that’s about it. I might have a drink every couple of months on average. No word of a lie. At the end of a long day when I get home, I fire up a spliff. That’s my martini. I sleep like a baby and in the morning I feel great.

Edit: Right, sorry, I did have a point. At the end of the day, you have to do what works for YOU. Everybody’s different. You’re a man and a half for taking the bull by the horns and recovering. Best of luck to you. You deserve it.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  13. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

This is only my theory, so don't hate... Those so-called "social drinkers" or "normal people," don't really exist, per se. That's what I am (was). Things are fluid (no pun intended) and thus can easily escalate over time. Nobody decides to become a drunk. Nobody (usually) even decides to go hard that night and have a bad hangover.

If one's drinking is so "controlled," then why are they even doing it? Is it to relax and calm anxieties in social situations? Or maybe just for "something to do?" It's well documented that alcohol is bad for you - risks, carcinogenic, dehydrating. (yes there are studies pointing to possible benefits of low dose red wine, but most experts seem to agree the risks far outweigh any potential benefit there).

The point is, look inside before you point the finger. The mere concept of spending money to consume a drug, implies that you too have a problem - only perhaps to a far lesser degree. There's a reason you enjoy those couple beers. You control yourself though and stick with two, so good on you for that. But.. you ARE controlling yourself, no? Why not have none? Why not drink water and be healthy? Is it because that's not as fun? Of course it is! So then, why is drinking fun? Is it because it relaxes your inhibitions? Let's face it, the drug is taking effect. So you aren't abusing it. That's good, you're disciplined. I wish I was more disciplined. At least I know now that i'm not, at least not in the long run with alcohol.

However, I'll have a benefit by quitting that a "social drinker" will lack - I'll know that I don't benefit from even a couple drinks, because i'll learn how to enjoy myself without it. To a few of you out there who seem pretty judgemental. Dont' worry, I won't judge you for thinking it's okay to have a couple drinks. I won't lecture you about how it could cause cancer, or lead to a drinking problem. I might even look at you with fondness, of what I used to be, early in my timeline alcohol related habits. To most of you. Thank you for your kind and supportive comments, and for sharing your personal stories. It does help. Sometimes we feel alone, even when we're surrounded by loved ones. Communities like this can at times go beyond guitar pickups and amps.

Kindest regards
    Axe

stevemc, P Thought and GuitarKid like this.
  14. BigDaddyLH

I don't exist?

I do it because I enjoy wine with my meal, for example. Friends have invited us to dinner tomorrow. There will be wine. I will probably have two glasses. I am not doing it for anxiety or something to do. I do it because it tastes good and I enjoy it. I could say the same for chocolate.

Imagine it's a hot day and you've just come in from mowing the lawn. You drink a glass of water, then a second. Without thinking, you stop. You could force yourself to have a third glass. Maybe a fourth. But you aren't using discipline or control. You are just unconsciously listening to your body. Same way with me and alcohol.

Not arguing with you Axe! Different strokes for different folks, that's all. Some folks shouldn't drink alcohol, others are fine. It's like milk. Some folks can drink milk, other folks fart and get cramps and diarrhea. The lactose intolerant gang doesn't say no one should drink milk and the lactose tolerant gang doesn't say the others are no fun at a party.

Bristlehound likes this.
  15. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Do notice that the people here offering support without passing judgement have actually been where you're at and "get it," the BS comments are coming from those who haven't walked in our/your shoes. A popular expression in the program is "Take what you need and leave the rest."

stevemc, P Thought, KWal and 3 others like this.
  16. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

That's a great piece of advice for life in general! Sometimes people's ignorance is tough to ignore. I'm working on it

17. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A lot of what "The Program" is about applies equally well to day-to-day stuff as it does for not drinking. I think of it as "perception management." When things are sideways at work and everybody is running around like their heads are on fire, I'm the guy that just calmly shrugs it off and focuses on problem solving instead of joining in the freak fest. I've been through much worse in my life, the little things that people lose their minds over are generally not worth worrying about.

telemnemonics and Axegrinder77 like this.
  18. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Holic

I know first hand how much harm alcohol can do to a person, a family, a spouse, a carreer. The list goes on. Should we ban alcohol? No. Should we discourage it openly and fight it's silent institutionalized presence? For sure.

stevemc, P Thought and Axegrinder77 like this.
  19. BigDaddyLH

... only outlaws will have sherry.

20. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

It takes courage to admit that you have a "problem", Axe, so kudos to you for taking that courageous first step.

One day at a time. The program works if you work it. And get a good sponsor, who can hold you accountable. ;)

Axegrinder77 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.