Quit drinking last weekend...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Axegrinder77, Oct 17, 2019.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm drinking a glass of red wine as I read this.

Toto'sDad and braveheart like this.
  2. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Best of luck to you.
    7 months and 28 days sober here.

3. 3bolt79

3bolt79 TDPRI Member

I wouldn’t be here without CPAP. There was a short, stout guy that I used to work with at the hospital. He had died at age 30, due to a heart attack secondary to prolonged apnea. He apparently snored according to his wife.

stevemc likes this.
  4. bloomz

bloomz Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I quit about 200 times. (Alcohol and Other Drugs)

It finally stuck almost 10,000 days ago.

5. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Holic

ah, o.k. watch cake or death

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

I know it is from first hand experience. It's the fact that they're acting weird, that they are unable to be there for you in that moment if needed, that it's ok to harm yourself, and mostly that they'll do something to embarrass you (like my dad showing up to my job at a sporting goods store hammered when I was a teenager. I honestly felt my world collapse it was so humiliating).

7. Axegrinder77

And the jerk award goes to...

8. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

I've stopped drinking several times the last few years but had gotten to where I thought to myself "It wasn't so bad and I'm kinda bored. Maybe I'll buy another bottle" and fell off the wagon.
    This time I think it's for real. I just don't enjoy it anymore. I don't experience any "withdrawal" symptoms.

I feel better all around and am saving the money.

For me there ain't no halfway about it. I can't control it once I start so I ain't gonna start again.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    bloomz, preactor, Fiesta Red and 2 others like this.
  9. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Holic

I'm sorry to hear that. :( its weird how alcoholism can become normal. I honestly never thought anything of it until recently. Its unreal how things can profoundly effect you are a child, and you don't even understand it at the time.

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Ouch! Keeping it real.

telemnemonics likes this.
  11. Axegrinder77

It's incredibly expensive to be a drinker.

Just went out for dinner, with another non drinker. Nice meals, steak and salmon. Bill was $60 for both! If we each had 3 drinks, the bill would have been double that!

Then of course I would have had to grab a six pack on the way home. 3 more tonight, 3 waiting in on the fridge for after work tomorrow.

Life and finances revolving around drinking... What a waste.

stevemc and telemnemonics like this.
  12. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister

Good luck. Find like-minded people or a group to help you with it.

It's worth it. 25 years here.

13. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

Heavy drinking... it doesn't necessarily make anyone an alcoholic. A p*sshead, maybe (British term for someone extremely fond of alcohol but not addicted). Here's my story: I could barely wait until I was legally old enough (18) to buy beer, and when I did, I could easily get drunk on three or four pints. I quite often made an idiot of myself. Then again, that's typically a rite of passage for young men. Fast forward a few years and I started hitting the beer fairly hard after a break-up with my fiancee, which on reflection was pretty much my fault. I happened to move into a twilight world of alcohol, weed, speed and LSD for a few months and surprisingly managed to hold my job down despite sometimes clocking on after some serious sessions the weekend or night before.
    Anyway, to cut a long story short, I moved out of the scene, got my act together and studied for & passed a respectable technical qualification which served me well. I still drank more than I should at weekends but generally kept myself in check and clean of drugs for most of the time. BUT I was never addicted; I'll admit coming down after heavy whisky sessions gave me tingling swirling-light hallucinations but I never had DTs or shakes. And I could stop drinking altogether with no horrible side effects other than finding it a bit difficult to sleep for the first couple of nights.
    These days I rarely touch whisky, usually drink low alcohol beer at home and don't have anything for a week or two just to show my body who's in charge. If I do go to the pub and there's no work the following day, I'll probably have five or six pints depending on the company. I don't have an addiction problem. Enjoy beer tremendously - yes.
    As I write this, I've just finished a night shift and having a can or two of beer before I go to bed.
    As a footnote, I don't regret my earlier debauchery at all. I met some interesting people, had some interesting experiences and - as the saying goes - went through the doors of perception.

stevemc and BluesGuitarMart like this.
  14. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Consider committing to a 12 Step program and pitching the weed. Might make it stick.

bloomz likes this.
  15. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

that's why I drink gin,rum (watery/fruity longdrinks) or chardonnay (with sparkling water)...which is usually my main drink at the weekend. (I don't drink during the week)
    Whisky/diet Coke is great ,too...but just for a few drinks..
    I have the luck to have an automatic switch in my brain that turns my system down when I have enough (2L of wine)...everytime
    I get very tired and my brain starts the "prepare for the next morning" program which means:
    I only drink watery fruit juices, eating

bcorig and Toto'sDad like this.
  16. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I quit drinking 21 years ago for similar reasons you stated (although my daughter wasn’t born for three more years)...it’s a great life, to be able to “be there” emotionally, mentally and physically.

Kudos to you and I wish you all the best!

bloomz, Deeve, Frodebro and 2 others like this.
  17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

If you drive, and you have been drinking in "moderation" when you start explaining your philosophy of (2L of wine) is enough, the cop who stops you is going to make Blowtorch awfully mad when he start doing the :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: dance. If you don't drive and drink, and you really can stop before you get to the making a rear end out of yourself stage: ENJOY!

bcorig, braveheart and telemnemonics like this.
  18. Toto'sDad

That lady has sure has a deep voice!

19. Toto'sDad

One of the things I've learned on my time here on earth is that when someone thinks a certain way, they immediately want everyone to do the same, and that goes for just about anything they can come up with.

bcorig and P Thought like this.
  20. Toto'sDad

It's okay, drink away, your wife won't let you out of the house anyway.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.