Quit drinking last weekend...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Axegrinder77, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's one of the scenarios that I never encountered, which I'm definitely not complaining about! But when I think about some of the stuff I did back in the day...

Toto'sDad likes this.
  2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I quit last night after my drink before dinner. I'll start again tonite for one drink before dinner maybe, maybe not. "All things, none to excess. "

Easy for me to say. Glad you guys are working on it.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd like to say that it only took one of those sessions to cure me, but one wasn't sufficient. By the time I got done with ride number three though, I was like Cool Hand Luke, my mind got right. That was over forty years ago, but I became a CAGEY drinker until I finally quit in 1997.

DonM and Frodebro like this.
  4. Frodebro

Most people can self-moderate their drinking, but for some of us it's like flipping a switch in our brains and all bets are off as soon as alcohol enters the system. The one thing that has kept me from ever wanting to even attempt moderation is the knowledge that it's simply not possible with the way that I'm wired. It's not difficult, though, because all I have to do is not have that first drink. The ten after that aren't possible without the first one, so that's all ya gotta worry about.

DonM, Chicago Matt, Nubs and 7 others like this.
  5. RatBug

RatBug Tele-Meister

For a long time I was just a happy, goofy sometime drunk. I didn't drink every day, but often enough when I did drink it was too much.

December of last year we had something real bad happen in my family and I didn't deal with it well, and I have since learned my wife almost took her life over it.

My drinking became an every day thing that usually ended up with me waking up not remembering going to bed.

March of this year my wife went on a trip for work and after three days of her being gone I woke up not remembering those three days which were all days I went to work.

That day was March 17 and I told my wife I had a problem and I was going to get help. The next day I let my work know I was going to be out for a week and I checked into a medical detox place.

That morning 03/18/19 was my last drink and my life is better.

preactor, KWal, thunderbyrd and 10 others like this.
  6. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Holic

I've regretted drinking, but never regretted NOT drinking.

preactor, thunderbyrd, Deeve and 6 others like this.
  7. Toto'sDad

For those of you who do drink, I can't stress enough the need exercise your right to remain silent if you are every arrested while you are drinking. The thing with offering resistance is, THEY have reinforcements, you don't.

nojazzhere and boredguy6060 like this.
  8. Frodebro

I was primarily a beer drinker, which was pretty "safe" for me as far as personality is concerned. I was a happy drunk, then I was an unconscious drunk. Hard alcohol, on the other hand, well, let's just say I didn't play nicely with the other kids if I'd been hanging out with Uncle Jack...

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Keep at it, each day of success brings a little more strength to your mind and body.

Frodebro likes this.
  10. Frodebro

So true. I honestly never even think about drinking anymore, it's just so far away from my lifestyle these days that the cravings and other thoughts simply don't happen.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Jack Daniels is one sorry S.O.B. he'll lead you into trouble and leave you in a heartbeat when the stuff starts hitting fan. I know him well.

LeftFinger and Frodebro like this.
  12. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

I quit seriously drinking in my late 20's having had too much most weekends since I was about 17 through 25. It was legal to drink alcohol at 16 just not buy it. As an introvert I liked to get a bit rat arsed, used the transformation to get some dutch courage to get on the dance floor down the nightclubs. After a while the hangovers got a bit old and eventually I decided that I just didn't like the half dead head and poisoned gut feeling the next morning was worth it.

No if I have a beer, it's usually when I'm knackered after some hard labour intensive work on a hot day. Nothing better than to just relax with a nice country ale. It's gotten a lot easier to skip the beer since I came to the states though. I don't like my beer too cold and a lot of the imports I grew up with seem to have taste different over here. Laughing brew (Löwenbräu) and New Castle Brown ale, like Cadbury's milk chocolate, keep changing their recipe for the worse.

13. Toto'sDad

I don't know at what point I found myself feeling that way, but I know exactly what you're talking about. One time a guy from AA told me that I had not quit drinking, because I wasn't in the program I was just a dry drunk. I had been quit 10 years at that time. I told him well, I'm not drinking now, and I haven't had to ride in a Crown Victoria for a long, long time, I think I'll just keep on doing what I'm doing.

14. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

I think that's true, and is the case for me. I don't "need" alcohol. I just "like" it. I do feel it warms me up and makes me more comfortable in social situations, but I'm not one to have a bottle in my desk drawer at work. Problem is that a couple drinks opens the floodgates. At hockey games and concerts I'm always asking when they cut off beer sales. I'll literally run up to the concourse during my favorite song to reload a couple beers so I don't have to "suffer" the rest of the show without it. I find that I must drink until I go to sleep after I start, because coming off of it is a bummer.

So it does control me once I crack that first brew. Pepsi doesn't do that! (Maybe because it's gross )

I really appreciate all the support. I just texted my wife my decision. I think she'll be happy, albeit a little skeptical. I've quit before. Only to introduce "compromises" such as being allowed two beers. That doesn't work,I realize it now, and that's why this time it's different. No exceptions, no exemptions, no booze, period. I'm an alcoholic.

15. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

My son wised me up. He walked in when I was laying on the bed, pants half way off, feet on the floor. He said "Dad you got one leg on and one off. Are you drunk? How'd you get home? He was 6. That was 20 years ago.

16. Frodebro

I think it took about a year or so for me to reach that point, but I cheated a bit and started an entirely new life-I moved 30 miles away from my stomping grounds, cut ties with all of my drinking buddies, and started over with a new job. Complete and absolute 180 life and lifestyle change.

As far as the meetings and people telling me I'm doing it wrong because something works for me that they cannot make work for themselves, well, that's their problem-not mine. I'm doing just fine handling things my own way.

LeftFinger, Keefsdad, stevemc and 2 others like this.
  17. Frodebro

This sounds an awful lot like the way I used to be. I didn't 'need' to drink every day, but once I cracked the first beer there was no stopping until I was passed out. Problem being that I liked the first beer, but things were out of my control once that one hit my system. So it would be appropriate to say that I never quit drinking, I just haven't cracked that first beer in fourteen years...

18. Toto'sDad

Amen brother, amen.

Frodebro likes this.
  19. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

Five years ago my good friend, Lumpy, got his first, last and only DUI. He had been an alcoholic for over 40 years. 36 hours in the clink without booze gave him the DTs. He came to in the hospital, strapped to his bed.

He hasn’t had a drink since then.

preactor, LeftFinger and Toto'sDad like this.
  20. Toto'sDad

When I used to have hunting dogs, I would hunt alone, deep in the woods in the high Sierras on the darkest nights you can imagine. I never feared being by myself, and there were damned few people I trusted to have a gun around me anyway, to tell the truth, I preferred going it alone. When I drove a diesel truck, and operated equipment, I never liked running team, or operating too close to someone else. When I was an outside guy designing and selling hydraulic controls and equipment nobody was there to hold my hand. When I quit drinking I figured if I had gone it alone most of my life on most everything I did, I would give it a shot doing it on my own. It worked out, I don't completely rule out having tried something else if I hadn't been able to do it on my own, but I reckon I've pretty much made it by now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.