Quit drinking last weekend...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Axegrinder77, Oct 17, 2019.

1. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

;)

2. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mine would have carefully deposited it on the pillow next to my sleeping head so that I received the full impact of my evenings activities upon awakening. And it would have been well deserved.:(

3. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That was me and those afflicted I’ve dealt with. Almost Universal.

Frodebro and ping-ping-clicka like this.
  4. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Congrats! Don't hesitate to seek out some help if you feel you even might need it. It can be tough to resist the triggers. Day at a time, trigger-setting at a time, another day at a time--it does become easier. And you're giving your family as well as your self a lot to be proud of.

JuneauMike likes this.
  5. Average_Joe

Average_Joe Tele-Holic

congrats @Axegrinder77

self introspection can be the hardest to tackle, good on you sir :)

if you don't mind though, i'm self medicating tonight after smashing my finger at work :eek:

6. ping-ping-clicka

well, there's nothing like a glass or two of old-big-mouth to illustrate you observation.

bcorig likes this.
  7. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Congrats, alcohol is a waste...

8. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I spend a lot of time listening to people now. Wish I’d started that 30 years ago.

Frodebro likes this.
  9. ping-ping-clicka

a hint , when in the company of others drinking order a lime and soda in a hurricane glas ( a tall glass) others will assume that your drinking maybe gin and tonic or vodka tonic with lime
    some people become uncomfortable when some in the group is not drinking with them.
    when I occasionally got out to see music (on the very rare occasion) the first thing I do is get bottle of sparkling soda I keep a drink in my hand the whole time I'm in the club, sparkling water allows me to wake up with out a hang over . It's nice to know that I did not vomit on my partner's breasts and face while demonstrating my desire to please

10. warthog

warthog Tele-Meister

Do it for your family.

Where I live in Slovenia, drinking is quite popular and people drink wine and sparkling water all the time. When you don't drink, they give you grief. I just put apple juice in my sparkling water. :) Peer pressure is a tough challenge. Good luck!!

11. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Way late too the conversation but I'm almost week without any alcohol but it's due to getting emergency surgery (hernia) Monday night. I stopped alcohol Saturday night. I've been a pretty significant drinker since my teens but had pared down in the last few years and before the hernia had been thinking about the finances involved with drinking expensive beers and whiskeys versus the enjoyment. I have no desire to drink yet so I'm going to go with it and see how well I can do so possibly something positive can come out of this.

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

This is the last day of my dry January. I don't know about February. Gonna come up with a plan today.

Blue Bill and Bassman8 like this.
  13. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

I'm kinda thinking that if I can do without something for 31 days, maybe I don't need it at all.

My wallet is shouting agreement.

Bassman8 likes this.
  14. BigDaddyLH

I want to distinguish between when I'm drinking for pleasure versus drinking away pain.

Last night (didn't quite make it through January!) we were having dinner out and my short ribs were crying out for a Shiraz. That was definitely pleasure
    but I still want to avoid drinking when I'm in a bad way. That's my goal for February.

15. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

I think that quitting drinking is an all or nothing thing.

If you start rationalizing reasons to have "just one", you'll be right back in business within 30 days.

I'm speaking from experience cause I've been doing the same thing for years.

I start off thinking "I can handle just one in the afternoon" and before I know it, I'm drinking more than I want to.

Of course my idea of "Too Much for me" is a REAL drinkers idea of a warm up before breakfast!

YMMV.

16. BigDaddyLH

YMMV -- indeed. I had one (big) glass of wine with dinner. Didn't want a nightcap at home.

Funny, but earlier in the day when I was stressed out at work, I thought of how I used to keep a bottle of vodka in my desk to "steady" myself when feeling that way. I was glad I don't have that bottle now. For me, it's very context-dependant.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.