Quinnamp Hot Buttered Scotch mA draw

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ogguitar, Apr 9, 2015.

1. ogguitar

ogguitar Tele-Meister

I've searched the internet for this info several times this past week, but so far nothing. Does anybody have any info on this?

2. RyanJH

RyanJH Tele-Meister

It's pretty easy to test with any pedal. If it has a battery, unplug it and connect only the negative (-) terminal. Set your multimeter/ammeter in the 100ma range, and touch one probe to the positive (+) terminal of the battery, and the other to the positive (+) terminal of the battery clip. With these in place, turn the pedal on.

If the pedal doesn't have a battery, take a spare 2.1x5.5mm DC cable, slice the insulation partway through the cable, find the positive (+) wire and cut it. connect the cable between your power supply and pedal, and touch your probes to each end of the cut positive (+) wire. Power on the pedal.

-Ryan

3. ogguitar

ogguitar Tele-Meister

Thanks for the tip Ryan! If I were in the US I would definitely go that route, as I would have access to some solid professional electronics equipment. Here in China though I'm a bit wary of buying equipment and testing it on my own. It would probably be fine, but I've seen enough here to leave me uneasy regarding anything I would want absolute professional quality from, especially things that are construction/plumbing/electrical-related.

4. RyanJH

RyanJH Tele-Meister

Any multimeter will do. You're not working in high voltages or AC here. It's all low voltage DC. You won't hurt anything or anybody, including yourself.

-Ryan

5. ogguitar

ogguitar Tele-Meister

Fair enough. I'll look into it and see what I can come up with then. Thanks!

6. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've seen posts from the seller on thegearpage dot net, have you tried asking there?

Does the pedal have a charge pump in it? If not it likely has a similar current draw to any other overdrive pedal out there, something like 10 mA

7. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I'm assuming this one is supposed to be another D-in a box pedal? I really don't know any that uses one - not even the RoG Umble!

Anyway - if it's anything like the Zendrive, or even the very TS'ish HAO Rumble Mod, those pedals all tend to just use the one dual opamp like the vast majority of moderate gain ODs do.

...That being the case, something like the SD-1 actually only draws ~4mA, so "well under 10" is typically a safe assumption.

Even the Boss MT-2 isn't much of a current hog despite having three or four dual opamps and possibly a half a dozen transistors.

These little "small signal amplifiers" really don't use much juice. Look at the pedals that tend to really kill batteries, and they are oftentimes things like digital delays and such. I had one of those Zoom 505 things that could kill a fresh alkaline in about an hour or so. :eek: You can't even run a EHX Holy Grail from a battery!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.