Quilter = heresy?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by sothoth, May 9, 2017.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

It's not YOU; it's the UNIVERSE!

Years ago, in a blind amp demo at a Winter NAMM?, the cork-sniffing elite of the music industry chose the ubiquitous Peavey Bandit 112 as the best-sounding amp in the demo! They could not believe that their ears were hearing a solid state amp (by the way, you can watch the demo on YouTube). To this day, the Peavey Bandit 112 still has a stellar reputation, but solid state amps have come a very long way since that NAMM demo.

Quilter, Roland, Orange, BOSS, et al, are all hitting home runs with their new, solid state offerings, and for good reason: they all sound great!

Don't listen to the cork-sniffing elite; listen with your own ears. What sounds great to YOU is all that really matters.

Anyway, my $.02.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    tidalcast likes this.
  2. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

Kinda late to the party here, but I wondered if anybody out there has run a guitar synth into their Quilter? I use a Roland GR-30 with my rig & currently the guitar goes into a Mustang III and the synth goes into another M-III. The Quilter Mach 2's seem to have the capability of running two instruments simultaneously; and the idea of toting one combo instead of two is starting to look mighty appealing. Whattya think? Can the Quilter handle the kind of organ, string, and horn sounds generated by a synth??

gitapik likes this.
  3. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Not sure if you'll get an answer specific to your synth, but the second input does a good job of playing tracks to play along with. Check out this video at 15:00. It's mainstream jazz but it'll give you an idea of what I mean (he's using the previous version of what's now the Mach II...new one's just as good):

If you're concerned about bass response, I'm pretty blown away at how good it is on my 8" Mach II. But you could get the 12" to be sure.

btw: I bought mine through Sam Ash. They have a very good return policy which I was set to use if I wasn't satisfied. 6 months later and I'm more than satisfied. Start the synth through at a low volume and raise it slowly to see what's up. Go from there...?

SolidSteak likes this.
  4. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

OMG, it don't sound half bad, do it??

gitapik likes this.
  5. gitapik

No. It don't.

:cool:

I honestly don't know if I'd have gotten mine if not for the return policy. I really don't like buying anything that I haven't tried out first hand. But check it out I did and I love mine.

I'm not dropping my tube amps, though. Equal opportunity employer, here.

6. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

The amp can definitely handle it, but what is likely more important is the speaker's frequency range... pumping a guitar and a synth into 1 12" speaker sounds like a convenient option, but maybe not the best option. Also the speaker might not be ideal for those other instruments.

One time I tried plugging in a mike into the Aux in and the guitar in Ch2 of my Aviator into a 2x12, and yes, both sounds were amplified by it, but it didn't sound great. Maybe decent for sidewalk busking in a pinch, but that's about it.

7. SolidSteak

That sounds pretty good; I agree. I wonder if it sounds that full in person though?

8. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I've used my 101 mini> 1X12 rig to power my Nord keyboard synth in small rooms. The 101's jazz setting works best for me combined with the Nord's onboard EQ. A good full-range cab would probably be an improvement but for a small grab and go rig it's not bad. I imagine I'd get similar results from a guitar controller if I had one. I'm mostly working with piano and organ sounds.

SolidSteak likes this.
  9. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

When my Egnator Tweaker died a few months ago, I was faced with a dilemma. Should I spend $250 to fix it or get a Quilter 101 head for $300? I got the 101 & I don't regret it. The only way that I will get another tube amp is if someone gives one to me.

10. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

FWIW, I solved my dilemma by modifying the Mustang III:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/had-a-revelation-mustang-iii-content.2002871/

SolidSteak likes this.
  11. gitapik

The amp or the synth?

Everything about the amp sounds better than any of the demos I’ve checked out on line. It’s the real deal.

I play backing tracks and drum/bass tracks from a Pandora, as well, through my 8”. I’m very happy with the sound. Could be fuller but it’s great for what it is. Could always get an extension speaker if necessary.

SolidSteak likes this.
  12. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

Yes I love my tube amps ... I like fountain pens and Am radio and I miss my old Studebaker. The facts are that sooner or latter tubes and tube amps will be gone. I used solid state amps years ago ( Kustom and Peavey). Sooner or later I will be migrating back to solid state if I am still playing. The reality is that most of the people listening wouldn't know the difference if it walked up and bit them on the ass. I have been fooled more than once ..... reality says that it almost time to let go.
    Besides I'm sick of lugging two amps to every gig because tube amps are nowhere near as reliable as they were back in the 60's and early 70's. How many of you prefer CRT TV's over flat screens?
    Times change ... so do ears. I shall miss my tube amps .... I used to have a Space Patrol lunch box too.

Get over it.

13. SolidSteak

14. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

Where can you find a 50 watt tube head that costs $300 & weighs 3lb?

15. SolidSteak

That's good to know, thanks. My Quilter amps also sound very full through an open-backed 2x12, but I guess I worry that if I had 2 instruments (voice/guitar, synth/guitar, etc.) overlapping through the same set of speaker drivers it wouldn't sound good. I might be worrying for nothing though. Plus, the convenience of not having to carry a separate amp or PA would be nice...

16. SolidSteak

$199

:D Just kidding... that's a solid state head with a nanotube preamp. Sounds pretty good though IMO!

IMO each person has to make their own decision about trade offs in hauling gear, sound preferences, cost, etc. For some people it is no problem at all that a Tweed Bassman weighs more than 50lbs, and for others it doesn't matter than their 22lb, 100 watt amp doesn't have any tubes in it. (I am clearly in the latter category.)

Sometimes when I go to the grocery store and get the big 40lb box of cat litter I think to myself, "Hmmm... a Bassman doesn't really weigh much more than this..." plus it has a better handle. But I like what I like.

Jimmy Dean and Lef T like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.